Forum Index > Trail Talk > [California] Desolation Wilderness Itineary Ideas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm 
In an attempt to find some melted out alpine for my partner's birthday next week, we're planning a trip to Tahoe to spend a couple nights in the Desolation Wilderness. (AKA Mega-Chants) http://www.lakesofdesolation.com/ We have a permit for the Waca area for the 23rd-26th. We only plan on camping at Waca for the first night, but from what I understand from a call to a ranger this morning once you've stayed your first night you can camp anywhere else in the wilderness through the end of your permit. So we plan on staying at one the Velma Lakes the second night. And then either hiking out the next day or staying another night. Here are our three planned route ideas: https://caltopo.com/m/JMCM6
  • The purple route would be my first choice. But looking at satellite imagery there's still some snow on the peaks. So we might stick to the basin areas to avoid that.
  • The green route appears to cover the most unique territory. But the east side of the wilderness near Grass and Lily lakes doesn't look as interesting. And it's the longest. Though not by much.
  • The blue route seems like the most realistic option. It hits both sides of Lake Aloha too which should be pretty cool.
My main questions for anyone who has visited the area before are:
  1. Do you think the green or blue route is the superior option?
  2. How smoothly does the alpine travel along the Pyramid/Agassiz/Price and Dicks/Jacks ridges go? Looks like mostly class 2/3?
  3. Would you stay at the Upper Velma vicinity your second night? Or would you pick somewhere else?
  4. How well does the route along the west side of Lake Aloha go? I recognize it's all mostly wide-open granite travel. But is it more scrambly & sloped at the water making it a much worse option than the east side of the lake?
  5. How difficult do you think it will be to get an Uber to the Reno airport from Tahoe mid-afternoon on Sunday?
  6. Have any anecdotes or resources about the Desolation Wilderness to get me even more excited for this trip?
In either regard, I'll be sure to follow up with a trip report when I return smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 11:18 am 
I haven't been so can't help personally, but I would recommend searching TRs/posting these questions at highsierratopix. Also recommend being prepared for mosquitoes, it's about that time in the sierra!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 11:33 am 
Thanks for mentioning highsierratopix! I hadn't heard of that before now.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 8:01 pm 
Just finished Carson Pass to Ebbetts Pass on the PCT and there were no bugs at all because it was too cold and windy, in the upper 20’s last night at Ebbetts where we camped. It is also colder than usual in Tahoe, just came through today. If you’re lucky the bugs may hold off for a few more days due to the cold front being stalled. Bring extra warm gear just in case!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 8:03 pm 
Sounds like we'll be lugging the heavy 0 degree bags then! Thanks for the info.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 4:52 pm 
Finally got around to finishing up the report on this trip here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1234100#1234100