Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seeking Advice for North Cascades Route
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RobfromFLA

RobfromFLA
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:21 am 
Hi all! I am planning a solo backpacking trip that could last 3-5 days and traverse up to 80ish miles. I have some backpacking experience but have mostly done guided expeditions (baker, Rainier). One of my favorite hikes to this day is Cascade Pass still and I'd love to do some more exploring of the North Cascades Nat'l Park. Any and all suggestions are welcome smile.gif 🙏

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RobfromFLA

RobfromFLA
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 am 
I am also exploring mixing in boat-in camping on Ross Lake

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:45 am 
Boat in camping on Ross Lake is by permit only, and permits are extremely competitive. We've changed our permitting system, the last times I camped on the lake I had to be in line at the Wilderness Info Center half an hour before they opened to get a permit. If that doesn't work out, there are hiker camps too, not right on the site but some are close. You could use the water taxi instead of renting a boat.

jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 2:45 pm 
This would be more in the 50-60 mile range, but one fun idea could be to take a water taxi to the Hozomeen Campground and then take the Hozomeen to Lightning Creek to East Bank Trail, and then at Devil's Creek do most of the Devil's Dome Loop all the way to the Happy Panther Trail back to your car. You could extend the trip by doing a side trip to Desolation Peak or Crater Lake/Lookout. I haven't done any of the above, but on paper it sounds like a fun adventure. I would be surprised if you couldn't get campsites between Hozomeen and Lightning Creek since those are off of Ross Lake and fairly remote, and once you fork off at Devil's Creek it isn't long before you are on USFS land.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 4:12 pm 
When are you looking at? Lots of long treks and loops to do in the Glacier Peak wilderness; e.g., the famous Buck Pass - Spider Gap loop, with side trips to Image Lake and High Pass. No permits required, but really similar quality to North Cascades National Park. Just check current road and trail conditions. Pasayten is a good idea too (like jaysway suggested). It can get impacted by fire and smoke late in the summer, but maybe not so much this year because of very high snowpack, so probably this is a good year to plan a big trek there. There are still trails there that are on maps that have gotten severely overgrown or littered with burned-out fallen trees, so you need to do your research.

RobfromFLA

RobfromFLA
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:31 am 
Thank you so much!

RobfromFLA

RobfromFLA
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:31 am 
Looking at July 21st to July 26th +/- 1 day.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 am 
Any time in July you should still plan for snow travel this year up high in the national park and around Glacier Peak. Not sure if you're up for that. Another reason maybe to go with the Pasayten.

Homey360

Homey360
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 pm 
Yeah Devils Loop counterclockwise. You can call the NPS permits in on the lake cuz you won't need them starting off out of Ruby Arm for Jackita which is east of the park boundary. Check out the North Cascades NPS site for backcountry permit status on the lake so you know what's available for your dates. Give them a ring at Marblemount they'll help you out.

"for everyone needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike."