Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sultan Basin, Peak 4829, 6/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:16 pm 
Peak 4829, (aka Sultana Peak, aka Greider Peak) Went out to Sultan Basin to get in a conditioning hike and explore a route up Static Point. No concrete plans to actually push for the summit. Basically, a see how it goes type of day. I had only done a few short hikes since last fall, and I’m trying to get back into hiking shape. Anyway, I hiked the abandoned road / climbers trail for the Static Point climbing area. When the trail reaches the opening for the large creek that comes off the Static summit, I stopped here. I backtracked about a hundred feet then went into the woods following the creek. Forest travel was decent. I just kept heading up, I think around 3600ft I needed to go left at the base of a cliff band. Kept heading up to the ridge line and reached a viewpoint at 4k. Past here travel can become a bit brushier. I decide to push further as summit fever took hold, and I was so close. I pushed to around 4400-4500ft and the slabby basin on the west side of the peak. Continuing up the ridge to Static Point looked scrambly/brushy. I was a bit tired by now, and I had a decision to make. Peak 4829 was also an option, and I decided to head over there as it looked straight forward. I crossed the basin and connected with the ridgeline. I dropped down to the saddle and then made my way easily to the summit. Nice viewpoint. The temps were pleasant and the sun was rolling in and out of puffy summer clouds. I returned the way I came. By the time I made it back below Static I was too tired to try it, and I wanted to save my energy for the tedious downhill back to the trail. I will have come back for Static Point. I was wiped by the time I made the car. I had put in way more exercise than I planned. Notes: Snow for water. Once the snow is gone there may not be any water once you leave the trail. Bugs are out …black flies and mosquitoes.

Fred Beavon, Exmoor, mosey, ozzy, RichP, Nancyann, Bramble_Scramble
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message