Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skipacking in Goat Rocks, 6/30-7/2/2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 11:00 am 
There was still plenty of snow for ski-camping in Goat Rocks, this was my 4th ski trip there. I did a backpacking trip last Summer, find the contrast very interesting. Bugs were very happy to see us at the TH, especially since there weren't anybody else around to feed on. They were really annoying when transitioning to ski at around 5500', finally disappeared near treeline.
We set up our camp near PCT on snow behind a tree island with a small bare ground. When sitting on a small rock, I saw some ants next to me. Soon they are all over me and started biting! Otherwise, our base camp was very pleasant and had a nice view of Adams.
Goat Rocks is a fairly compact area, seemed big enough when hiking on trails. Since ski travel allows more direct paths, it feels much smaller on snow.
After dinner exercise:
Evening views:
Night views:
One distinctive advantage when ski-touring in Goat Rocks is to check out the east side. I'm not aware many trails go over the crest to explore the other side in Summer. Also skiing is typically better on the east slopes here, longer steeper runs with more snow.
Skiing was best into McCall Basin:
More night views:
Saturday weather was better than originally foretasted and we did a quick morning tour before packing out. When we were getting ready to ski, a hike approached us eager to have a conversation. He was from Germany and just stated the WA portion 3 days ago. We were totally impressed!!
weekend visitors
weekend visitors
PCTer nearing the ridge
PCTer nearing the ridge
~20mi, 7600'. My pack was ~30lb plus 15lb ski gear on the trail, good training for summer backpacking!

contour5, Snuffy, Slim, LukeHelgeson, Nancyann, Obi Tony Kenobi, HikingBex, Lindsay, RAW-dad, brewermd, shane w, raising3hikers, Route Loser, BarbE, Theboywhocriedroute, kiliki, Bramble_Scramble, neek, ozzy, Waterman, Randito, jaysway, Tag Man, zimmertr, rubywrangler, RichP, Tom  kite, awilsondc  SpookyKite89, KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 11:46 am 
Holy smokes, what a trip! Your photos are beautiful.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 11:49 am 
Lovely! Your photos are always a treat.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 12:44 pm 
Kenji wrote:
weekend visitors
weekend visitors
Such a cool family photo. The dynamic is ancient---hearkening back thousands of years. Humans and canines on the move across the high wilderness. The dog in the lead is feeling so important. ~z

RAW-dad
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jul 07, 2022 9:11 pm 
Beautiful pictures, Kenji, I think Goat Rocks is the most photogenic in early summer before all the snow melts. The German hiker is definitely in the advance guard because I think we experienced the “bubble” when we were on the PCT a few weeks ago in the Sierras. I got a good view of the snowpack in the Oregon Cascades while flying home, and he would have had to do a lot of snow travel on his way through. Must be a very strong and determined hiker!