Forum Index > Trail Talk > Heather Lake trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 6:19 pm 
We went up the Mountain Loop Highway today and wandered up to Heather Lake. The rocky/wet/rooty trail is bedecked with ribbons promising a future trail so sublime you will hardly notice any effort at all. Anyone know the skinny on this? We talking just wishful thinking or is there some stimulus money at work here? Oh, and BTW, the killer potholes on the Pilchuck Road could also use a touchup. Thank you Subaru Forester for bringing us back alive. Some cars wimped out and parked down below the worst bits.

breadcrumb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:00 pm 
What a photo! That spot looks enchanting in that light. Well done. ~z

breadcrumb, Anne Elk, Joey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 8:53 pm 
The USFS will mark trees to be removed, not sure if that's the case there and I think they usually paint them? As far as the potholes go, not sure why they can't fill a few holes and grade the road once per year? Yet they can spend big money to repair huge washouts on Deer Creek road. I thought that road was pretty much toast given the amount of damage and supposed lack of funding, but no.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 9:32 pm 
I remember when the trail was less than a mile and almost no elevation gain off the Pilchuck Road. There was little room for parking though.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 9:50 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I remember when the trail was less than a mile and almost no elevation gain off the Pilchuck Road. There was little room for parking though.
Did it come from 4220 to the west of Heather Creek? I've followed the road down that switchbacks slightly west of the current trail but it didn't save any elevation gain.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 8:25 am 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
Did it come from 4220 to the west of Heather Creek?
Yes. The trail was off the end of that road for many years. I don't recall when they moved it.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 8:34 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The USFS will mark trees to be removed, not sure if that's the case there and I think they usually paint them?
Not the case here. Many of the orange tapes had notations about specific trail improvements needed with 'start' and 'stop' indicators. I have pinged the USFS. Stay tuned...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 8:53 am 
That's a horrid gash of a trail. Not enjoyable until it gets close to the lake, which, thankfully isn't a long hike. DId you see what the flags said? Given the photo and flag you posted, my guess is that steps will be built there, and any reroutes will be just to go around or move the trail away from a few features (e.g. too close to a low, wet area).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 9:18 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
DId you see what the flags said?
We looked at some, not all. Some just had cryptic numbers. Others had specific instructions for where steps will start/stop, remove old CMP (corrugated metal pipe) and replace with water dip, etc

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 10:47 am 
Neato. I didn't see anything in their SOPA report about a reroute or anything huge like that, so the trail work is staying within routine maintenance bounds (well, routine isn't the word - but it would be if everyone in the entire world cooperated and did what I say they should do! curse.gif I like Heather Lake in early season. The flowers around the lake are sweet! Are they all blooming yet? (or past-bloom?)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 11:07 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The flowers around the lake are sweet! Are they all blooming yet? (or past-bloom?)
Some flowers showing but I think best flowering yet to come. One small snow patch going around lake. Some scattered snow patches in woods near lake

Kim Brown
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 am 
We now know a bit more. USFS says: Hello Joseph, Thank you for your message, I have sent messages to some of my co-workers asking for more info. Most of them are out in the field most of the day this time of year, so I don’t really have an answer for you yet. I have found out that there is funding to do some work on the Pilchuck road, but not sure when or exactly what that entails. Fingers crossed for some answers soon.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 3:20 pm 
Our tax dollars will be doing some good work. Italics are from USFS in response to my Qs. From our Trails folks; We do have plans for Heather Lake. As part of the Great America Outdoor Act, we are going to be doing a great deal of trail reconstruction on Heather Lake. All work will be performed with in the existing trail prism. We are not totally sure when construction will commence, but it should begin some time this summer with a completion by fall of 2023. The contract I believe is out to bid right now to perform the work. I’ll keep you posted when I know more. We are also doing Pilchuck and Lake Twentytwo. Pilchuck will have about 1.1 miles of work done, Lake Twentytwo will be having the whole thing done, or at least most of it (see how far the funding gets us). They are also GAOA funded, and NFF is managing the Lake Twentytwo project with Forest Service providing technical support. Both of those projects are on a similar timeline with Heather Lake And from our Roads folks So many Road questions, People are noticing things happening, that is a good thing. The Killer Potholes on the Pilchuck will be dealt with the Road Contract that is in the pipeline, Schedule TBD

CS, rossb, Char May, SpookyKite89, HikingBex
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 3:39 pm 
Joey wrote:
All work will be performed with in the existing trail prism.
Yes; I checked the SOPA report and didn't see anything, so no public comments are needed since the work isn't outside of that corridor, or prism (I think prism may be a subtle difference from corridor; now I'm going to look that up) Great to know about the other work and the funding and how Killer Potholes is capitalized lol.gif . Lake 22 was rebuilt - well I was going to say recently, but it was probably 20 years ago. Given the heavy use, that's 20 in dog years; or popular trail in the PNW years.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 pm 
Joey wrote:
Our tax dollars will be doing some good work. Italics are from USFS in response to my Qs.
Thank you Joey! -for asking the questions and doing the follow-up reporting. 'Excited to hear that the road up Mt. Pilchuck will be repaired as well. ~z