Forum Index > Trail Talk > Did I Go too Far and Ruin an Event?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am 
One of the bummers about all of this is that all the newbies will think this sort of thing is okay. I mean, it's company sanctioned, and they wouldn't do anything illegal, right? So why not start a meetup with unlimited participants to go hiking.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Jul 08, 2022 9:26 am 
Organizing a hike in wilderness with more people than the wilderness person limit is so illegal and so antithetical to wilderness that I don't care how nice or how mean you were. You were right to do it. The signs at trailheads are pretty clear on this and people routinely ignore this, so it is beyond time to explain to these people why we have these rules.

pula58
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 08, 2022 9:53 am 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Well here is exactly what I told him when I reached out: "Hi BLANK, I get emails for BLANK and saw that you have a trip scheduled for Blanca Lake on July 9th. You might want to reschedule the hike or go somewhere else. The bridge is under a huge rockslide and you will be turning this hike into a 12 miles roundtrip along with very limited parking. In fact you will have to put your car in reverse and drive that way until you get to a turnabout. Also this has been a very snow heavy year and a very cold/wet spring and currently the snow starts about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. It is solid snow to the lake and it's very easy to lose the trail along with the lake being frozen. Also this isn't the place for a paddleboard" I don't think that was being rude or a jerk... ok maybe I shouldn't have thrown the paddleboard comment in there and should have just said the lake is frozen. I said nothing about SAR (have no idea where that comment of his came from) So what does he do instead, sends out an email with beautiful pictures of Blanca Lake and it's turquoise waters and adds that "it's a difficult total of 12 miles roundtrip" and continues with telling people the hike will start at 8:30AM and be back at the trailhead by 11AM. That's 2.5 hours to go to 12 miles rt to Blanca Lake and back?!?!?! The average half-marathon runner finishes a half-marathon in 2 hours and 11 minutes. They are running and he is telling people they are going to hike up up and down while gaining 3300 feet?!?!?! Oh and don't forget paddleboard and swim... and no it wasn't a typo because he went on to add they would be back at the Bothell Park and Ride by 3pm On top of that he tells people to bring their non-Boeing friends along and dogs. For many of these interns/new hires they have never seen anything like this. They are seeing this lake with mountain peaks, a glacier, and stunning turquoise water and they get Instagram fever and sign up without doing any research of their own just to find themselves in trouble, after all the organizer knows what he is doing since he lives here. If one of these kids says I give up and decides to go back to the car what are the chances he or she won't get lost, breaks a leg slipping, or worse goes way off the trail and breaks a leg? Or just imagine 70 plus hikers going down the final steep 600 feet down to the lake in slippery snow and ice. That is stupidity and negligence. So sorry you keep finding excuses Cyclopath, but just because these kids are coming to Boeing doesnt mean they have outdoor smarts, otherwise you wouldn't have had 70+ sign up for the hike if they knew and read what the trail conditions were. I of course was thinking it was going to be 10-15 people on this little trip, I had no idea he had 70+ sign up and two years before he took a group of 100 up there and who knows how many more on all the other hikes I have seen him post which I just browsed and ignore. As for your comment about not being appropriately dressed or prepared for a hike, just look at all the people going up Rattlesnake Ledge or Mount Si. And as I said before, I led many hikes before and it happened over and over
You did what you can, nothing positive will come from ruminating about how somebody didn't like your email. You're only responsible for your own choices.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 2:02 am 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Knowing there was a rockslide (it has just been cleared)
The road is open now all the way to blanca? No snow and no rocks? thanks for the info

none

Obi Tony Kenobi
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 6:59 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
My paddleboard came in a backpack. Just sayin'.
They fold? Really! Shows what I know about the latest toys. I thought they were more like surfboards. cool.gif
They roll. Mine is inflatable. But, like so many things, I do not have the skill to roll it tight enough to fit in the pack it came in, nor do I want to pack it very far. "They've" obviously got a machine or a very strong and skilled human to shove it in that bag at the factory.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 9:15 am 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Last month an event was organized to go hiking to Blanca Lake. It listed the hike as 7 miles, a great place to go for a swim in the lake and bring your paddleboards. The hike would start 8:30am and return to the trailhead by 11AM. The trip was listed for July 9th.
Here's a recent report on WTA of conditions at Blanca this past weekend. Looks a might chilly up there still. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 9:31 am 
treeswarper wrote:
They've" obviously got a machine or a very strong and skilled human to shove it in that bag at the factory.
This seems to be true of almost all inflatable gear and other backpacking gear. E.g. the air mattress I got last summer, I can repack it into the original stuff sack only if I use a battery powered air pump to 100% remove all the air while the air mattress is laid out on a perfectly flat surface. I then need to very carefully fold and roll the air mattress with great care. The process takes a long time. I believe gear companies do this so their bit of gear looks smaller on the shelf when someone is making gear purchase decision. I now purchase a 25% larger stuff sack to pack up gear in actual usage as I don't enjoy precision packing while breaking camp. It's real pain for an inflatable SUP though, as the bag they come in is usually configured as a backpack for carrying.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 12:05 pm 
Sometimes being right is a curse, especially when you attempt to educate a fool. Best to not say a word and let the fool become a fool and you not become the victim.

neek

neek
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 12:11 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Sometimes being right is a curse, especially when you attempt to educate a fool. Best to not say a word and let the fool become a fool and you not become the victim.
...or just do the right thing and not give a crap what other people think. I agree, sometimes not worth it, but in this case I think saying nothing would have been irresponsible, given the safety and legal issues with the proposal.

kw
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 1:00 pm 
If your company does not have a legal department then they retain one and already may have a liability policy covering this event. It is their responsibility to assume the liability and safety of this outing. Having said that it was a tough call on your part, I hope things work out.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 8:45 am 
You did the right thing--See something, say something! Maybe you could have delivered the message more tactfully, and if you really feel bad about that you could always reach out to the other party to apologize. OTOH, due to time constraints and personalities involved, maybe the more blunt approach was necessary. up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 am 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
If your company does not have a legal department then they retain one and already may have a liability policy covering this event.
Boeing - BoeAlps does - or did. (Does BoeAlps still exist?????) There were/are parameters, and this event does not likely meet any of them.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 9:36 am 
neek wrote:
...or just do the right thing and not give a crap what other people think. I agree, sometimes not worth it, but in this case I think saying nothing would have been irresponsible, given the safety and legal issues with the proposal.
A lot of things are only learned through personal experience and not the easy way.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 10:16 am 
I'm guessing those that had the pleasure of experiencing Blanca that day without a group of ~100 learning the hard way might disagree.

kw
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 11:04 am 
Paddleboards on Lake Blanca? I want to see pictures. Seriously???

Art is an adventure.