Forum Index > Trail Talk > Did I Go too Far and Ruin an Event?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 2:02 pm 
I am interested to know what the legal/HR dept has to say about all of this so let us know!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 7:16 pm 
I think speaking up is the correct way of addressing an issue that is of significant concern. I found your post as concerned for the people who were following this person..and it may be the name of the place was incorrectly referred to as one person says down below. The wilderness is, by nature, hazardous, and many people do not have an inkling of an idea about this. I say thank you. And yes..HR does need to be looped in.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
hearingjd

hearingjd
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 8:17 pm 
Having worked for the same large airplane company (now retired!), and having worked with the intern program, you are right on the money, for a lot of reasons: - It's a wilderness area-- the 12 heartbeats rule is sacrosanct for the USFS and if caught as a group in the wilderness (which would include not just hiking together, but even coordination between smaller parties), the fines could be extensive and could lead back to the company (e.g. a few years ago a group of Scouts was caught in violation up on Mt. Baker and the citation ended up in the laps of the Scout Council, not just the individuals leading). - It's not a simple walk in the woods-- if one of the interns got hurt, or worse, lost, the big plane company would not like the negative headlines. We referred to this as "The New York Times" test-- if your action was highlighted on the front page of the NYT, would you be happy? You definitely need to report this to 1) the Intern Program Manager, and 2) Law Department, especially the part that a B______g activity was actively planning to violate federal regulations.. Good job!!!

Hiker John

Anne Elk
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 7:31 am 
But it might have become A Legend.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

kiliki
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 12:46 pm 
If you decide to do something with a legal or HR department keep it short and professional. I spent years working in Superior, District, and Municipal Courts and given the amount of work in these departments, they do not have time to read a lot of verbose so just stick to the facts.

Cyclopath
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 12:50 pm 
It's obvious that this was a bad choice by the organizer, and they didn't even know current conditions (snow). It would have been a bad choice for last years conditions too, with the road out. Next time, just email HR and skip the group leader. I once hiked to Bulger Pass (used to be called Cascade Pass) with an air mattress in my day pack. I was going to hike up, then down to the lake and float. It seemed like a great idea while at home. I didn't go down to the lake, I was too lazy. The Paddleboard guy made me think of my un-used air mattress.

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 1:14 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
If you decide to do something with a legal or HR department keep it short and professional. I spent years working in Superior, District, and Municipal Courts and given the amount of work in these departments, they do not have time to read a lot of verbose so just stick to the facts.
A good rule a friend told me is to describe the situation without using the word I. Doing that focuses you on the facts.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 9:50 pm 
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 12:04 am 
Good place for a canoelian traverse.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 3:59 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Am I wrong here
Boeing = Entitlement mindset. The response you received was the correct answer to your question. Everyone prattling on about maximum group size, or whatever blah, blah regulation forgets that none of it applies because its Boeing. A massive SAR event would have been a jackpot for SAR funding. Boeing would have picked up the bill and then sum, of course subsidized by the U.S. tax payer.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 4:09 pm 
I don't recall that mindset when BoeAlps was active, nor do I recall BoeAlps being rescued on a regular basis (is it still active? If so, there should be plenty of newsworthy articles about them if Boeing clubs are as bad as you say).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 6:07 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I don't recall that mindset when BoeAlps was active, nor do I recall BoeAlps being rescued on a regular basis (is it still active? If so, there should be plenty of newsworthy articles about them if Boeing clubs are as bad as you say).
Boeing has deep pockets when it comes to pre$$ relations. You wouldn't have heard about anything bad happening because $$ overrides "newsworthiness". Again, the response he received speaks for itself. Or, he can just ask BoeAlps if he was wrong?

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 6:16 pm 
Clearly they spent too much money covering up BoeAlps there wasn't enough left to buy off the press in recent years.

kw, coldrain108, zimmertr  Kascadia, Kim Brown, Anne Elk