Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 09, 2022 9:54 am 
Tom wrote:
Some ebikes like the Specialized SL the motor and battery is less than 10 pounds. If you gained 10 pounds over the winter would you need to ride with stronger rims or brakes until you lost that weight? Would it void your warranty? dizzy.gif
Ok so you've shown that a motor and battery weigh as much as a bike. Show me a 1,300 gram 29 inch wheelset that's warranted for eMTB use. Warranted is important, nobody wants to spend $1k+ on wheels that will fall apart after two months. I don't think you can, for the reasons I've explained twice. Show me I'm wrong. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 09, 2022 12:09 pm 
Probably because they would need to use a broad brush to warranty it for all ebikes. Some have 15 pound motors, dual 10 pound battery packs, and heavier overall to keep costs low since the assist can offset. Also much higher torque from some of those motors, Rohloff or Gates might warranty a hub or belt for ebike use but only up to some maximum toque and have other restrictions since one size does not fit all. I don't know what kind of gram savings you get in the wheelset on a $15K eMTB from Specialized: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-turbo-levo-sl/p/175105

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 10:13 am 
Tom wrote:
Also much higher torque from some of those motors
I told you that twice in this thread! This is one reason why eBike wheels have to be heavier than regular wheels! It's also the rain the bottom bracket part of the frame and the stays have to be heavier. Meaning overbuilt compared to a non motorized bike. I'm glad you've come around to agree that there will always be a weight penalty. It's just physics, you want to do more, you gotta pay the piper with equipment that can do it.

MultiUser
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 10:29 am 
Tom wrote:
I don't know what kind of gram savings you get in the wheelset on a $15K eMTB from Specialized: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-turbo-levo-sl/p/175105
Those weigh almost twice as much as budget MTB wheels in the same size. I mean, they're super light for an eBike.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 am 
Tom wrote:
Probably because they would need to use a broad brush to warranty it for all ebikes
The wheels I beat the tar out of on my gravel bike have a blanket 5 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement. Even covers theft! The reason you won't find a warranted 1 kg eMTB wheelset is because companies can't stand behind wishful thinking. eBike wheels with no weight penalty will break spokes constantly and have to be rebuilt every couple hundred miles.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 12:04 pm 
Right, you mentioned torque, that's why I pointed out the wide variation among ebike motors. A manufacturer warranting a component for ebieke use would consider the range as opposed to the torque put out by the lightest motor systems. The Specialized SL (super light) motor only puts out 35 nm of torque, whereas a typical "250W" euro spec might put out closer to 70 nm, and some 750W mid drives as high as 120-160 nm. Just for grins, I looked at what wheelset Specialized put in their high end analog MTBs. It's the same Roval Traverse SL wheelset. Shrug.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 5:38 pm 
Ha, ebike riders tend to debate stuff like throttles. The degree of fear tends to be inversely correlated with actual experience with them (not that much different than ebikes).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 7:10 pm 
As with "acoustic bikes" there is a huge range of what is offered in the eBike realm. Rad Power bikes in Ballard targets "ordinary folks" doing "practical things" at affordable price points. Other eBikes, with full suspension and carbon fiber frames offer premium performance at premium prices. At there is quite the spectrum in between. Another emerging style are "electric motorcycles" which disperse with the pretext of pedals in favor of solely electric drive. Gasoline driven two wheelers had similar evolution, with 49cc powered "mopeds" having a niche to fill, while motorcycles becoming progressively more an more powerful.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 5:43 am 
catsp wrote:
Randito wrote:
As with "acoustic bikes" there is a huge range of what is offered in the eBike realm. Rad Power bikes in Ballard targets "ordinary folks" doing "practical things" at affordable price points. Other eBikes, with full suspension and carbon fiber frames offer premium performance at premium prices. At there is quite the spectrum in between.
Wait a minute! Hold the phone! Are you telling us that there are different ebikes for different use cases? And at different price points to boot? Seriously? There isn’t just a single “one size fits all” ebike? How sure are you of this?
The commonality is that they all have motors

MultiUser
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 6:52 am 
His first ebike. In the Squamish area. Note the bit about upper body strength.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CS

CS
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 7:59 am 
Oh right, high velocity spine and head injuries seem easier with eBikes. Fun.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 11:45 am 
CS wrote:
Oh right, high velocity spine and head injuries seem easier with eBikes. Fun.
Well, you can stay at home and then slip in the shower and go down... Note that he's riding in an area of MTB trails, not in any forbidden areas.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CS

CS
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 11:48 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Well, you can stay at home and then slip in the shower and go down... Note that he's riding in an area of MTB trails, not in any forbidden areas.
Yeah, chipped a tooth for the first time a few years ago eating a salad. Salads are dangerous. But MTB is up there due to the velocity, it what it is.

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 1:40 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
The wheels I beat the tar out
What wheels are you using? Also, I'm curious what wheels (obviously for discs) you're looking at that are sub-1kg that would be considered for factory spec on any type of bike. Heck, if you know of sub $2K wheels that are sub-1kg and are warranted for combined loads (bike + rider+ accessories) over 115kg, do share.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 16, 2022 8:30 pm 
trestle wrote:
What wheels are you using? Also, I'm curious what wheels (obviously for discs) you're looking at that are sub-1kg that would be considered for factory spec on any type of bike. Heck, if you know of sub $2K wheels that are sub-1kg and are warranted for combined loads (bike + rider+ accessories) over 115kg, do share.
Competitive Cyclist has a set of Industry Nine 29er wheels at 1 kg for less than a grand. I wouldn't choose those personally, based on all the happy owners I've heard from on bike forums, I would strongly consider building up a set of LB rims with 28 to 32 spokes. They have MTB rims with weight limits up to 130 kg. The rims aren't expensive but you will need fancy hubs to hit 1 kg. I'm a gravel road cyclist primarily so I'm riding wide rims but also deep ones for aerodynamic benefit on the pavement. I ride Enve 4.5 ARs. smile.gif