Forum Index > Trail Talk > E-bikes on state land. State is doing a survey
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 12:36 pm 
State lands shouldn稚 be any different than federal lands when it comes to access. We will all get old and our strength diminish, the rules shouldn稚 change for us older folks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 4:54 pm 
I知 old, but I bike for exercise and for fun. Mostly all MTB not technical so much now. Do not really see the point of anE- bike at this point maybe in 5-10 years. I find then irritating on paved urban trails with 15 mph limits. If I want to do fast downhill I do lift red iced or dedicated MTB trails, do not want to kill someone with my slower reflexes. If I wanted to do steep dirt trails I would get a trials motorcycle, but that has never been my gig. I have hiked mixed trails in Eastern WA and the motor bikers I have ran into have all been considerate and nice folk. Snowmobiles not so much. As a curmudgeon I have always liked motorcycles, just not on hiking trails. E bikes do not seem that different.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 5:21 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I知 old, but I bike for exercise and for fun. Mostly all MTB not technical so much now. Do not really see the point of anE- bike at this point maybe in 5-10 years. I find then irritating on paved urban trails with 15 mph limits. If I want to do fast downhill I do lift red iced or dedicated MTB trails, do not want to kill someone with my slower reflexes. If I wanted to do steep dirt trails I would get a trials motorcycle, but that has never been my gig. I have hiked mixed trails in Eastern WA and the motor bikers I have ran into have all been considerate and nice folk. Snowmobiles not so much. As a curmudgeon I have always liked motorcycles, just not on hiking trails. E bikes do not seem that different.
A kindred spirit.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 6:02 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I find then irritating on paved urban trails with 15 mph limits.
What do you find iritating? You mention speed limit so i assume it has something to do with that. I find road bikers on paved trails typically ride as fast or faster than ebikers. The only thing I find irritating about ebikes is the fat tires on some make them noisy on pavement.
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have always liked motorcycles, just not on hiking trails. E bikes do not seem that different.
How do you like bikes on "hiking trails"? I don't, but if a trail is mixed use and allows bikes then I don't see why it wouldn't be fine for an ebike. Sorry, but they a very different from motorcycles. Have you actually ridden an ebike?

Opus
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 6:32 pm 
It is my actual experience, and I've read the same of others, that a class 1 ebike will increase one's riding speed by 2 miles. That means I am going 14mph average on flat, paved road. I hardly think that mayhem will occur due to that increase in speed. The trail around Wenatchee had a 10mph speed on it. I kept to that except couldn't do it in the more crowded areas. Was passed by a large group of spandex clad roadies--not ebikes. I have been ebiking since the fall of 2017, so I have a bit of experience at it. You? Comparing them to motorcycles is absurd and shows a lack of knowledge. I've ridden motorcycles also. Dirt bikes to be exact. I can't really think of any similarities other than both have two wheels and handlebars. I enjoy the quiet of my Gazelle.
Yup, sure does look like a motorcycle. Remember, the faster you ride (not counting downhills) the quicker the battery drains.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 7:20 pm 
Tom wrote:
The only thing I find irritating about ebikes is the fat tires on some make them noisy on pavement.
The noisy tires on the e-bikes are much easier to hear when they're coming up behind you than the skinny tires on the much faster moving road bikes (on the paved section of "Five Mile Drive" that I walk every day.) Being able to hear them is much better than not being able to hear them. (Again, just in case you missed that, the pedal-powered bicyclists are invariably travelling at a much higher rate of speed than those on the e-bikes.) So... tell me again: why should these devices not be allowed on trails where bicycles are currently allowed? What exactly is the problem?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 7:28 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It is my actual experience, and I've read the same of others, that a class 1 ebike will increase one's riding speed by 2 miles. That means I am going 14mph average on flat, paved road. I hardly think that mayhem will occur due to that increase in speed.
I'd believe that for class I, but come out here and ride the Burke Gilman on a weekend and you'll be passed by a stream of class II bikes going 20mph. Not all of course, but most find it easiest to just go full-throttle. OTOH, we ran across some ebikes on the Loowit trail yesterday. They were old, slow, and polite. I don't really see the big problem with them on trails. You can be a jerk whether you're on bike, ebike, or foot. Just don't be a jerk. I'd rather run across an ebiker than someone with powered speakers anyway.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 7:43 pm 
Ski wrote:
So... tell me again: why should these devices not be allowed on trails where bicycles are currently allowed? What exactly is the problem?
Quote:
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are gathering feedback on the use of electric-assisted bicycles (e-bikes) on non-motorized, multi-use natural surface trails already open to mountain bikes and closed roads open to non-motorized recreation.
The problem is the first part, the MTB lobby doesn't want MTB specific trails opened to ebikes and there may be good reasons for that. If it was just about the second part (whether to allow ebikes on roads closed to motorized recreation) I don't think there would be much push back, well, unless you are just one of those types that likes defacto wilderness.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 10:34 pm 
I do not like road bikes on urban trails either which have low speed limits either. This is especially true of the yo-yos in pacelines practicing for stop at 25 or so. I have tried riding on trails like the Sammamish trail with a road bike on a weekend also and would rather eat glass. BTW I am not saying they should be banned just I find them irritating, like I said I知 old.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 6:56 am 
^ Being old is only an excuse for being old. Nothing more, nothing less.
Tom wrote:
"... the MTB lobby doesn't want MTB specific trails opened to ebikes and there may be good reasons for that."
To which I would ask WHY? What exactly is the issue with more two-wheeled mechanical transportation devices on trails on which two-wheeled mechanical devices are already being used? Is there some "group think" that believes these machines are faster than pedal-powered road bikes? (Which I have found in my experience to not be the case at all, as noted above.) Is there some commonly-held delusion that e-bikes are going to do irreparable harm to these trail systems? I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what the objection is, other than the usual and obligatory curmudgeon factor? (e.g., "It's new so I don't like it.")

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 7:31 am 
Ski wrote:
^ Being old is only an excuse for being old. Nothing more, nothing less.
Tom wrote:
"... the MTB lobby doesn't want MTB specific trails opened to ebikes and there may be good reasons for that."
To which I would ask WHY? What exactly is the issue with more two-wheeled mechanical transportation devices on trails on which two-wheeled mechanical devices are already being used? Is there some "group think" that believes these machines are faster than pedal-powered road bikes? (Which I have found in my experience to not be the case at all, as noted above.) Is there some commonly-held delusion that e-bikes are going to do irreparable harm to these trail systems? I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what the objection is, other than the usual and obligatory curmudgeon factor? (e.g., "It's new so I don't like it.")
From my reading, it seems to be ego driven when objected to by acoustical "cyclists"--the old "you haven't earned this hill" or "you are lazy" or "you are cheating" etc. when it comes to ebikes. They are proud of their bodies and their bikes and their sufferfest. They don't understand that I could be even lazier on my couch eating bon bons and watching Youtube all day, I'm not racing them so how am I cheating, and I've earned a hell of a lot of hills from days of working for a living. I've had enough suffering and pushing my body hard. I enjoy riding my ebike but that is not acceptable. There's a movement to start changing the thinking in this country that bicycles are not all toys, that some of us use them as a mode of transportation to get to places for appointments, work, shopping, etc. That would include ebikes. The other part of the equation is that the snooty cyclists are well organized and able to lobby people who make rules because the rule makers know nothing about ebikes. After all, New York City has banned ebikes until recently as they were convinced that ebikes are killing machines. Now, I expect something else there to cause another law as the headlines were about battery fires in apartment buildings caused by ebikes. NYC seems to equate ebikes with death. As for noise, just like riding an acoustical bike, I run across wildlife. I did not stop to look at the little bear because I was thinking that Mama bear might be nearby. I did not stop to take a picture of a very close very large moose, because she looked angry after being disturbed by my little moose hound. I do have bad pictures of younger moose that two of us riding ebikes with throttles eek.gif came across. As for throttles, I also have a Mini Rad bike and I do like being able to start very quickly from stops when riding in car traffic, and running along side the bike while throttling to get up a really steep bit of trail. The bike can pull you a bit. But I like the acoustical bicycle feel and handling of my class 1 bike better. Regulators ought to be forced to actually ride ebikes for a few days before making rules. People who know nothing about ebikes ought to stay out of the decision making.
The Radmini Class 2 bike in winter--for me, a very uncomfortable ride, but fun sometimes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 7:35 am 
neek wrote:
I'd believe that for class I, but come out here and ride the Burke Gilman on a weekend and you'll be passed by a stream of class II bikes going 20mph. Not all of course, but most find it easiest to just go full-throttle.
Then work to change that on that specific trail. I can ride trails around here and never see another person on the trail--hiker or biker. Should I be banned riding trails around here because of an urban problem?

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:11 am 
^ I don't know anything about Burke-Gilman. I do know that the pedal-powered road bikes on "Five Mile Drive" travel at much higher rates of speed than do the "e bikes" on that same pavement. For that matter, most of the ebikes down there aren't travelling much faster than someone jogging. So am I to believe that these "e bikes" will be moving at freeway speeds if they're allowed to travel on unpaved trail surfaces (that are no doubt not quite as flat and level as "Five Mile Drive") that have been designated "multi use"? What part of this am I missing?

Opus
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:25 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Then work to change that on that specific trail. I can ride trails around here and never see another person on the trail--hiker or biker. Should I be banned riding trails around here because of an urban problem?
Didn't say they should be banned, just sympathizing with MC.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 9:53 am 
Mr. Davenport: I've re-read through most all of this thread, as well as the WTA page which was the subject of the original post, and respectfully, I am not finding a cogent argument for not allowing the "ebikes" on DNR and WDFW trails that have already been designated "multi-use". As you noted, on those trails on which they would be allowed, I fail to see how there would be any real difference on the ground in respect to the "Class 1", "Class 2", "Class 3" thing if these are unpaved ("natural surface") trails and they are not on level ground. In respect to "speed limits" - they are pointless if there is no enforcement of such, and should most likely not be part of the discussion. (Are there "speed limits" in place on any multi-use rural trails?) If there's some part of this I've overlooked, please let me know. While the deadline has passed for the survey, I'm sure comments can be passed along to Mr. Susewind and Ms. Franz.