Forum Index > Trail Talk > E-bikes on state land. State is doing a survey
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 10:46 am 
Ski wrote:
^ Being old is only an excuse for being old. Nothing more, nothing less.
Tom wrote:
"... the MTB lobby doesn't want MTB specific trails opened to ebikes and there may be good reasons for that."
To which I would ask WHY? What exactly is the issue with more two-wheeled mechanical transportation devices on trails on which two-wheeled mechanical devices are already being used? Is there some "group think" that believes these machines are faster than pedal-powered road bikes? (Which I have found in my experience to not be the case at all, as noted above.) Is there some commonly-held delusion that e-bikes are going to do irreparable harm to these trail systems? I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what the objection is, other than the usual and obligatory curmudgeon factor? (e.g., "It's new so I don't like it.")
The Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance generally supports class 1 e-bike access. My understanding is that they still want land managers to have authority to ban e-bikes from particular trails in certain cases, but that the default should be class 1 e-bikes allowed. So I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that "the MTB lobby doesn't want MTB specific trails opened to ebikes" https://www.evergreenmtb.org/images/files/coffee-w-yvonne_e-bike-presentation_062921.pdf

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 11:19 am 
Okay, that's all fine and well, but: WHO is going to be standing at the trailhead and checking the labels (printed in no smaller than 9-point type in an Arial font) displaying the information concerning "Class", "Wattage", and other pertinent information? WHO is going to PAY that person standing at the trailhead who's checking those labels? WHAT mechanism is in place currently in respect to enforcement of any such proposed regulation regarding "Class" of "ebike"? WHAT mechanism is proposed to enforce compliance with the "Class" issue in respect to which trails these devices can be used on? WHAT funding source does this enforcement action come from? The difference, as near as I can tell - please correct me if I'm in error here - is that a "Class 1" ebike requires the user to pedal at times, as opposed to a "Class 2" bike which does not require the user to pedal (but is only capable of motorized assist up to 20 mph), as opposed to a "Class 3" bike which does not require the user to pedal (but is capable of motorized assist up to 28 mph.) Other than a very understandable concern about potential conflicts with organizations like "The Sierra Club" or "The Wilderness Society", why should EMBA have any objections? They're concerned about grant money? Why should I be concerned about their concern about grant money? Respectfully, what this looks like to me is a group effort being made, for reasons I'm not really sure I understand, to impose regulations which cannot be enforced in any practicable fashion, intended to exclude a rapidly growing user group from availing themselves to public infrastructure they've already helped pay for. What part of this picture am I missing? [* and again, to be clear: I do not own a bicycle, motorized or otherwise. I think one of my sisters and brother-in-law just bought a pair, but I haven't heard any reports yet of them actually using them for anything other than tooling around the sprawling metropolis of Steilacoom.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 11:43 am 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I responded because it was posited that ebikes would get people out of their vehicles which doesn’t seem to be the case
What do you mean "doesn't seem to be the case?"

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 12:08 pm 
Ski wrote:
The difference, as near as I can tell - please correct me if I'm in error here - is that a "Class 1" ebike requires the user to pedal at times, as opposed to a "Class 2" bike which does not require the user to pedal (but is only capable of motorized assist up to 20 mph), as opposed to a "Class 3" bike which does not require the user to pedal (but is capable of motorized assist up to 28 mph.)
Class 1 ebikes only assist when you are pedaling and that assistance cuts out at 20 mph. Class 2 ebikes have a throttle so they'll run the motor without pedaling up to 20 mph. This is how all the Rad Power bikes work. Class 3 ebikes only assist when pedaling, do not have a throttle, and assist up to 28 mph. I ride a class-3 bike and there are no special indicators or signs that identify it as such.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 12:11 pm 
Tom wrote:
If it was just about the second part (whether to allow ebikes on roads closed to motorized recreation) I don't think there would be much push back, well, unless you are just one of those types that likes defacto wilderness.
?? There aren't roads in the Wilderness? It's hard to think of a good reason bikes should be prohibited from almost any road, whether the bike is motorized or not. Obviously things like private property, specific safety issues, or the need to close an entire area. Maybe we need to change the word non motorized in this designation. From your perspective of course you should be allowed to ride your bike on roads, why shouldn't you? From an outside perspective, it's: why are these people allowed to flout the rules just because they want to? It's not a non motorized area if motors are welcome there and that probably causes friction for ecyclists.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 12:19 pm 
^ Cyclopath, I'm not sure where you're going with that, but: I know from a conversation years ago with Brenda, one of the managers up at the old Randle Ranger Station (GPNF) that there were issues with "dirtbikes" (aka "motorcycles") using Forest Service roads where they weren't supposed to be. The issues had nothing to do with licensed, not licensed, mufflered, not mufflered, or anything to do with horsepower. Apparently there are (or at least were at that time) gravel-surfaced Forest Service roads on which dirtbikes weren't allowed. As I recall, it was a "safety issue" thing - line of sight and all that. Don't want motorcyclists getting squished by logging trucks. There are no doubt some roads out there on which bicycles - motorized or otherwise - would not be a wise choice for transportation. (North Shore Quinault Road immediately comes to mind.... I almost killed a couple people up there near Finley Creek years ago.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
trestle

trestle
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 12:34 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Competitive Cyclist has a set of Industry Nine 29er wheels at 1 kg for less than a grand
That wheelset weighs 1900g.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 12:45 pm 
trestle wrote:
That wheelset weighs 1900g.
Without knowing what "that wheelset" refers to (we've talked about several) it's impossible to look at the numbers together. I mean Competitive Cyclist has a lot of different I9 wheelsets...

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 2:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What do you mean "doesn't seem to be the case?"
I live in Wenatchee and there’s a lot of recreational riding here, locals and tourists from all over the region. I’ve only seen a few ebikers riding to trailheads, dirt or otherwise. I see tons of people riding their bicycles to trailheads. Someone else posted that regular bikes go faster than ebikes. That’s not the case for class 1 ebikes on single track, they go significantly faster on the climb and descent. They’re heavier, more stable and they have a motor. These aren’t boomers riding class 2 or 3 ebikes on the Burke-Gilman. The reason some dirt bikes and atvs aren’t allowed on FS roads is that a motor vehicle has to be street legal to use FS roads. Current ebikes are fine because if speed is limited to less than 30 mph that restriction doesn’t apply. That’s why speed on ebikes is governed

MultiUser
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 3:18 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I live in Wenatchee and there’s a lot of recreational riding here, locals and tourists from all over the region. I’ve only seen a few ebikers riding to trailheads, dirt or otherwise. I see tons of people riding their bicycles to trailheads.
I live in Seattle. The reason I take my bike sometimes to the grocery store, post office, or whatever is because (1) driving and parking here can be like getting a root canal, and (2) I have a bike, which is a pleasure to use. I wouldn't ride a MTB on paved roads to ride on a trail. Riding good trail tires on pavement is far from a pleasure. In general I prefer riding over driving, in practice I make the decision on a case by case basis, whatever makes the most sense at the time. My goal isn't to immediately replace every car trip with a bike trip. I'm a "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" kind of guy. Replacing some trips puts us all in a better position and that's a good enough starting point for me.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 3:31 pm 
Ski: Not all of us have such labels on our bikes. I'm thinking that applied to ebikes after 2017 and only to those sold in WA state. My Rad is a 2017. My Gazelle was purchased out of state. Not that anybody would be checking. Hell, the cops don't even enforce real car traffic laws anymore. Why would they bother with bikes? (I almost got hit by a town cop today as he was on his way to running a stop sign.)

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Secret Agent Man
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 4:41 pm 
Secret Agent Man wrote:
The Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance generally supports class 1 e-bike access. My understanding is that they still want land managers to have authority to ban e-bikes from particular trails in certain cases, but that the default should be class 1 e-bikes allowed. So I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that "the MTB lobby doesn't want MTB specific trails opened to ebikes" https://www.evergreenmtb.org/images/files/coffee-w-yvonne_e-bike-presentation_062921.pdf
That's good to see. For years they gave lip service to ebikes but actions spoke louder than words as they advocated for "closed unless open". Seems like they started advocating for "open unless closed" last year based on member feedback.

Secret Agent Man
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 5:11 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Tom wrote:
If it was just about the second part (whether to allow ebikes on roads closed to motorized recreation) I don't think there would be much push back, well, unless you are just one of those types that likes defacto wilderness.
?? There aren't roads in the Wilderness? It's hard to think of a good reason bikes should be prohibited from almost any road, whether the bike is motorized or not. Obviously things like private property, specific safety issues, or the need to close an entire area. Maybe we need to change the word non motorized in this designation. From your perspective of course you should be allowed to ride your bike on roads, why shouldn't you? From an outside perspective, it's: why are these people allowed to flout the rules just because they want to? It's not a non motorized area if motors are welcome there and that probably causes friction for ecyclists.
It's hard to think of a good reason why ebikes should be prohibited from any road that bikes are allowed. When roads get gated they generally get designated "non-motorized" so that's the rub. I believe the FS and DNR are trying to remedy this by coming up with classes of "non-motorized" designation which would allow ebikes but currently their hands are tied by historically more rigid designations. I was referring to defacto wilderness (buffer zones to make it more difficult to reach wilderness, an argument typically made by advocates in support of road closures).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 7:19 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
Someone else posted that regular bikes go faster than ebikes.
If you are referring to one of my posts above, what I said was: that the pedal-powered bicycles are moving at a higher rate of speed than the ebikes on the paved portion of "Five Mile Drive" (which is down at Pt. Defiance Park.)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:51 pm 
On a multi use path it's a moot point as you can exceed the speed limit with or without the assist of an ebike. It's really unfortunate regulation focuses so much on speed limiter. For example it's unlawful to ride a class 3 bike on a sidewalk unless there is no other safe option. But you can ride a class 1 or 2 bike on the same sidewalk. Why? All 3 are equivalent bikes at speeds below 20 mph. The regulation should be that it is unlawful to ride a class 1, 2 or 3 bike faster than x mph on a sidewalk not exclude class 3! Heck the regulation as written makes it legal to ride a class 3 at 28 mph on a sidewalk when it's legal to ride on them. How stupid is that? The whole class 1-3 regulation is flawed and doesn't make any sense in reality. They should have just defined an ebike as a bike with an electric motor up to 1 hp (750 W). None of this horseshit that an ebike can't be ridden on trail or sidewalk if it allows assist beyond 20 mph on a road.

Opus, Chief Joseph