Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mtn Loop, Peak 4485, July 9th
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 4:38 pm 
Peak 4485, (aka Everett/Blackjack) Looking for a short training hike to get in better shape I decided to head up the Mtn Loop and tackle this treed summit. There are three 4480+ summits up Blackjack Creek between Marble and Bald, I had done the two eastern summits many years back as a winter snowshoe (here). I drove up FR4030(in good shape) and parked at the end of the road. The hike is all offtrail. From the end of the road I went up through a short patch of devils club, some steep trees, and then up an open area. It was then along and up the ridgeline to the west summit(4472). One must contend with brush, tree, and the slippery log. I didn’t find it too bad though. The ridge has a lot of variety. The western summit is a few feet shorter than the eastern summit. From the west summit I made my way east. There was still some snow fields that made travel between the two summits a bit quicker. From the eastern summit if you travel a hundred yards to the east there is a large open area. Oddly, there was an old cast iron pan on a stump near here, old time campers I suppose. Unfortunately, morning fog had rolled in, and I couldn’t see anything from the opening(I would guess views out to Big4 and Vesper). Anyway, I quite enjoyed my short adventure. Notes: Fr4030 and Mallardy Ridge Road will close in a week for several months. Bugs are annoying if you stop. Trip time ~4.5hrs.
Ridge Tree Screen
Ridge Tree Screen
Morning views up the Mtn Loop
Morning views up the Mtn Loop
Opening Fog
Opening Fog
Bald
Bald
Distant Peaks
Distant Peaks
Cloudy
Cloudy