Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sluiskin The Chief and Old Desolate - July 9 and 10, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm 
Matt and I wanted to climb The Chief, but the standard route via Carbon River has a washed-out foot bridge, so we started at Sunrise instead. We hiked past the Burroughs and Skyscraper, spooking a bear along the way. Plenty of goats hanging around Skyscraper.
bear
bear
Sluiskin and goats
Sluiskin and goats
We got to our camping area so early on day 1, we agreed to do the peaks immediately, rather than wait until the next day. After fording the west fork White River we made our way off-trail up through some blowdown to Vernal Park. There is a steep loose gully on the south side of Sluiskin which I had been wondering about for years. Today was the day to try it.
dropping to the west fork
dropping to the west fork
The Chief
The Chief
Vernal Park
Vernal Park
gully
gully
The gully was just as steep and loose as expected, but not as bad as it might have been. Nearer the top of the chute, we cut left onto more solid ledges covered in rubble. The weather was not as advertised, with lots of clouds and cold wind ripping through the saddle.
The Chief
The Chief
off route
off route
on route
on route
At first we tried to climb the north ridge of the summit block, but that wasn't right. We soon figured out you must start below a notch in the ridge on some down-sloping ledges. The 20 foot crux is extremely awkward and I was glad we brought the rope. Thanks for always leading the cruxes Matt!
We didn't hang out long on the summit because it was late in the game. We did 2 short raps, not using the uppermost of the 3 total belay stations. We quickly returned to Vernal Park. I had told Matt on the summit of The Chief that we could make it to the summit of Old Desolate by 7pm and that prediction turned out to be exactly correct, to the very minute. It was a full white-out, but with an occasional partial-reveal of Rainier.
photo by Matt
photo by Matt
We descended the west side to rejoin the Wonderland trail and then hiked down past Mystic Lake on the way back to camp. Made it to camp without the need for headlamps. Did not see a single person all day, except when we were leaving Sunrise that first morning. Smoot list 86/100
photo by Matt
photo by Matt
photo of Matt
photo of Matt

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

geyer, williswall, RichP, reststep, silence, LukeHelgeson, jaysway, GeoTom, belowfellow  ngie, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 6:05 pm 
Nice job getting those peaks, looks like more work than I thought

Eric Eames
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 11:05 pm 
The Gimp is back! And making The Chief look like a fun climb. Well done guys!

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 am 
It feel so good seeing a WA report from you. Welcome back, and great job! That's a fun area. I didn't know about the washed out foot bridge, thanks for the heads up!

silence

silence
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 5:53 pm 
For what it's worth, not being a climber, I think this approach was an excellent choice, and one I'd never even think of. It looks much more adventurous. Of course, I always wanted to get into Vernal Park, w/o the climb up to the Elysian Fields from Moraine Park or up from Windy Pass, so that is esp appealing. Now I know how we would've wanted to do it. Great report and wonderful photos. up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 7:58 am 
Awesome trip guys!! Man, the chief looks fun!! rocker.gif Ive yet to venture to this corner of the park, think I might check it next trip up there. Looking forward to more of your TRs now that you're back!! Cheers dood!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin