Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Christine/mnt. Beljica ( near MRNP ) 7/10/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 7:42 pm 
It was great to get out after 5 weeks of crap health and a lot of crap weather before that. The Beljica road 3 miles after Ashford is still washed out .... Some old guy said in 3 years they will fix it. So back to Beljica for me... this was a great day, weather wise to get back out in the hills. I parked right at the main road WA706 by the pile of boulders meant to keep people off the washed out road. The road walk was beautiful: lots of greenery, no humans, animal sign, road returning to nature with overgrowth and quiet! The snow started at Lake Christine and was a few feet deep right away. It wasn't hard to find the summit after being at the lake. The summit was bare and comfortable in the full sun. LOTS of bear sign on the road; poop, tracks and stripped bark. I startled a black bear on the trail in front of me and then saw a few big ones on the slopes of Beljica from a mile+ away. One looked really big. I became a tad apprehensive realizing I had bear spray...at home. :>( Normally when the roads were working, lake Christine was only 3/4 mile hike in, if that. The road walk adds another 6 miles one way. Lots of strawberry plants, low black berry, Lupine, flox and other assorted bloomers. The berries were not out yet so some of the bear poo was green. I guess salad only for now. As I returned, I could hear a lot of shooting of assorted weaponry down below. I had to whistle my approach as one guy was shooting up the road in my direction. WTF?!! another guy is shooting away from the mountain and out straight across the highway. More shooting followed in the woods. I always thought I would die in Tacoma from a stray bullet. Well, maybe this is the place for that. STILL, a good trip and I needed to get out.

ozzy, jaysway, fourteen410
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 12:15 am 
Did not know the road was washed out...it was a pretty substantial road and 6 miles of road walking for a 3/4 mile hike is well..... We went here a let20-25 years ago as my kidds loved it as many places to play around the lake, (which is what kids want to do) before they became older and more adventerous. We were going to get the grand kids started this year...maybe not here...sad.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 am 
Hikermike, I agree the road walk is a bit much for most but I like this area because the upper roads are devoid of people with a lot of animal sign. Its a great snowshoe / XC ski place since you gain elevation quickly in the first 2.5 miles then can ski for miles above 3,500 ft. For me its one of the closet places to Tacoma...so thats a big reason i go there too. Always a ton of elk activity too.