Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Gardners 7/8-7/9/2022 Twas' a slog indeed!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 pm 
This trip was planned last minute. I decided to go here because the weather forecast looked more reliable and we never really get out that way. We had a group of four this go round with myself, Hans, Kevin, and Pete! Kevin is a buddy/coworker who had only been on one real hike with me before.(Esmeralda pk) He definitely has the mountain fever already and was chomping at the bit to get back out! rocker.gif Pete is my bro that came up to visit and wanted to see some nice scenery up in the great north!! banana.gif He too didn't have much scrambling experience. Nonetheless I was pretty goddamn excited to get those two up to some gnarly territory! cheers.gif That being said, if I knew of the slog that was to come I would have definitely picked something else lol!! Like usual it always seems a lot easier until I strap on that pack and start walking up the hill, sorry boys lol. doof.gif So I picked up Hans and Kevin and we made it out to the wolf Creek TH at 7am where Pete was there car camping it. Everyone made there introductions and the stoke was high! drink.gif We set off around 8am to make the 10.5mile walk to Gardner meadows. Supposedly the area burned last year sometime. It was pretty scorched all the way to the meadows, there was moderate deadfall to contend with too. That should change though, a trail crew was arriving as we were leaving the next day. It was pretty cool to see how fast the undergrowth was coming back too. The contrast between the burnt trees and the green was a nice touch! eek.gif At 1pm we hit the open meadows... wow!! What a stunning place! borank.gif It took us awhile to get there but it was well worth the effort! At 2pm we found a nice spot a couple hundred feet above said meadows to take a break and sip some whiskey of course! The boys were doing good but we still had a bit of a climb to get to camp, the intended spot was atop pt 8487'. cheers.gif
Stepping off
Stepping off
Kevin taking 5
Kevin taking 5
Feel the burn
Feel the burn
Finally within reach of the meadows
Finally within reach of the meadows
Abernathy ridge
Abernathy ridge
Break spot
Break spot
Mighty fine ridge
Mighty fine ridge
After an hour or so we all began the next part of the slog. It was about 2800ft up to our bivy. The last water source was around 7100' so we all topped off here. Around 7400' is when we hit scree hell! moon.gif Hans and the boys took a more direct approach to pt 8487' while I climbed directly up to the connecting ridge and used more solid rock to traverse up higher towards the point. Both options sucked no doubt about it but the ridge was definitely a wee bit better. During this part of the slog I was wondering what the hell I was thinking bringing Kevin and Pete lol! smackbum.gif I was definitely feeling a little worn as was Hans but we both wanted them to at least get to camp. Hans and I arrived to some stellar views on the point around 7pm! Dayum the scenery doesn't disappoint up here, it was better than I imagined! A fine view of a big bulk of the bulgers. breakdance.gif Earlier we had planned to hit North Gardner before sunset but that was outta the picture due to the fact that the boys were still a ways below. I'm definitely the typical lazy peakbagger so sipping some whiskey, taking in the view, setting up camp was way more appealing option anyways! humpy.gif Kevin arrived at 8pm and then Pete followed just before 9pm. I was so amped up for those two, it's awesome to introduce other like minded doods to places like this! rocker.gif It was nice catching the sunset as well although it was kinda breezy and a little chilly. There was a nice flat spot up there to fit all of us and it was semi sheltered from the wind. The party lasted til the sun was down and the moon was out, we all slept well that night. cheers.gif
Heading up
Heading up
Lamont Mtn on right
Lamont Mtn on right
Kevin checking it out
Kevin checking it out
pt 8487'
pt 8487'
Looking back down towards the meadows
Looking back down towards the meadows
Arrival on pt 8487'
Arrival on pt 8487'
Hans on the pt, looking south
Hans on the pt, looking south
Bundled up taking it in
Bundled up taking it in
I love this shit
I love this sh##
Boys and mountains
Boys and mountains
Sunset
Sunset
the moon shot
the moon shot
Getting settled in
Getting settled in
In the morning I guess the sunrise was pretty decent, I don't really know I slept through it. Eventually I arose from my bivy at 630am to find Hans and Kevin ready to go. Pete was still tired so he decided to stay in camp. It was a badass high camp to hang out in though! From camp it took us 45mins to make it to the top of N. Gardner. The ridge was fun at times and the boot path was easy to follow. Once on top the views were amazing, this vantage of Silverstar and Kangaroo ridge is sweet! Kevin nabbed his first bulger too, awesome! We spent 45mins or so up there and signed the mountaineers register. rocker.gif I think we made it back down to camp at 930am where we lounged around til 11am and slowly packed up. Hans, Kevin, and myself went on to get Gardner while Pete would meet us at the meadows below. The ridge to get to Gardner was a little more involved and had more scree but quick progress was made. At noon we arrived at the second peak of the day, one hour from camp. Kevin had his second bulger too, not bad for his second hike lol! Taking in the fine views we spent about 30mins up there! A damn fine day to be alive! banana.gif
Working the ridge on N Gardner
Working the ridge on N Gardner
Hans and the ridge
Hans and the ridge
Yewww
Yewww
Kevin gets his first bulger
Kevin gets his first bulger
Towards Silverstar
Towards Silverstar
To the south
To the south
N Gardner summit area
N Gardner summit area
Back at camp
Back at camp
Pete and pks to south
Pete and pks to south
Smoke break before moving to Gardner
Smoke break before moving to Gardner
Pete and I
Pete and I
To Gardner
To Gardner
Hans coming up crap gully
Hans coming up crap gully
more ridge
more ridge
Bypass this big mass on the right
Bypass this big mass on the right
Oh buddy
Oh buddy
N Gardner
N Gardner
Hans down low below the gendarme, N Gardner behind
Hans down low below the gendarme, N Gardner behind
Much of the ridge all the way back to pt 8487'
Much of the ridge all the way back to pt 8487'
Number two baby
Number two baby
At last the most dreaded part of the trip came upon us, the slog back out to the car. dizzy.gif The top half of the mountain had some awesome pockets of scree to boot ski down that made progress fast...I love going down that crap at least! Then we hit beautiful meadows for the rest of the descent to the valley floor. The wildflowers are poppin right now too! What a gorgeous place to enjoy with some cool humans! breakdance.gif The rest of the way out drug on forever at times but we made the car around 8pm. Several breaks were had on the way out lol. Pete and Kevin had a blast and you know that was the same for Hans and I. Another awesome trip in the bag and thanks to the boys for joining! Cheers to all!! drink.gif 8800ft-ish gain, 28miles or so, 2 days
The scree slopes leading down
The scree slopes leading down
Hans with the meadows visible
Hans with the meadows visible
So pretty looking
So pretty looking
Towards Abernathy
Towards Abernathy
Abundance of greenery
Abundance of greenery
Ooh I love flowers
Ooh I love flowers
Sweeeet
Sweeeet
Looking back up towards Gardner
Looking back up towards Gardner
The slog out
The slog out
what a trip
what a trip
Last look
Last look

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Nancyann, ONELUV1, pjhorst, Michael Lewis, LukeHelgeson, raising3hikers, bivouacjack, hot.choss, pwrobinson, zimmertr, jaysway, Theboywhocriedroute, rubywrangler, RichP, Bronco, neek, Now I Fly, Gimpilator, Lightning_bug, wyattmullen, Tom  awilsondc  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Theboywhocriedroute

Theboywhocriedroute
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 11:33 am 
Ooo wee what a scenic trip! dizzy.gif So good to get out there with you and the fellas. Im so proud of Kevin, and impressed with Pete! Cant wait to get the next one lad!

Nancyann, Off Route Randy, Michael Lewis  geyer  KascadeFlat
Dolph Lundgren
Dolph Lundgren

Dolph Lundgren
Dolph Lundgren
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 3:18 pm 
Nice one, Ozzy banana.gif Appreciate all the pics, I should be out that way in the next few weeks and will probably use that high camp you had yourself up on! dance.gif

ozzy
cathorse

cathorse
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 7:55 pm 
Thanks for the report! And filling us in on the conditions on the trail since the Cedar Creek Fire of last year!!!

ozzy
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 11:49 am 
I don't know that I have ever read a trip report about Gardner without mention of the screaming trees (or is there mention and I missed it?). Looks like a perfect trip!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 4:20 pm 
Screaming trees?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir