Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bear Spray failure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:50 pm 
quote bargainhunter""""ahem"""".....swell you go right on ahead and try it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:55 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I carry a 9 sometimes, not so much for defense but to put myself out of my misery should I be mauled. Of course I would attempt to protect myself with the first 12 rounds, saving one for myself.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

I'm Pysht
Vertec

Vertec
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 10:31 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
Do you think every bear encounter is documented? Problems can be solved quietly.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 11:04 pm 
gb wrote:
"facts"
Let’s look at the overriding core operative fact regarding the bear spray failure incident, relative to the “study”. For reference: https://bearwise.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/efficacy-of-bear-spray-smith-et-al.-2010.pdf “In 18% of cases we analyzed (13 of 72), both brown and black bears resumed their threatening behavior after having been sprayed the first time. In these instances, repeated spraying eventually deterred bears such that the user could escape the situation.” (p.5) So in these cases bear spray alone cannot be considered successful because escape was also needed to resolve the situation. The study complete ignores this so its conclusions are flawed. Even worse, the study does NOT break down the “returning bear” numbers relative to hiking. This is important because a day hiker would be most likely moving anyway, and it would NOT matter if the bear returned - so 18% would be a low estimate of the probability of a subsequent encounter with the bear.
Vertec wrote:
Obviously storing food in her tent didn't help. A camper scared off a bear — then the grizzly came back and killed her
She scared off the bear, but then went back to sleep with bear spray in her tent. We have no way to know if she was familiar with the “Management Implications” section of the study, or if she felt secure in believing (falsely) that those “Management Implications” claimed “98% of persons carrying it were uninjured after a close encounter with bears.” But she ended up being killed by the bear. If her decisions were “informed” by the study, then the study contributed to her fate. If you’re in the business of Managing bears, then the “Management Implications” of this study may be useful to you. By definition (see dictionary for definition of terms “Management” and “Implications”) this study has ZERO relevance for any other activity.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 11:58 pm 
mosey wrote:
BigBrunyon wrote:
What is often misunderstood about: BEAR SPRAY is this: what you're supposed to do is purchase large amounts so you can just discharge as you go. You should be discharging at regular intervals down the trail!!! Prefurably every 30-45 seconds. See, what you want to have is a nice general cloud built up in the area so you get the bears before they see you! That is what you're supposed to do with: BEAR SPRAY.
This is the ultralight strategy. Real outdoorsmen do this with a firearm. If you add 25lbs of ammo to your pack every time you hike, you'll be wrestling the bears off in no time without having to spray dangerous and ozone decaying aerosolizing chemicals and polluting our forests.
Some guys outta darrington used to talk about "wild nights" nights. Where you just shoot in all directions after dark. Ahh just give er hell for 30 mins see if ya got anything next morning

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 7:57 am 
the one thing that is so annoying about text messages is that people have such small worlds they live in and don't seem to be able to extrapolate what they read into a bigger scenario.. a quote from a star trek movie with 'spock' during a court hearing,,,Quote, If i am on a Gravity positve planet and drop a hammer I need not look to ensure that it has indeed fallen to the ground. If I have to go into great detail about not being able to kill a 800 pound charging boar grizzly bear by someone not a great white hunter used to placing their shots in a dollar size target in the heat of battle then what is the use in posting in the first place. Cannot you not get the bigger picture and know YOU will not kill a gizzly bear with a f***** handgun I don't care how many times you hit it if you can even hit it while faciing such a situation...and you probably won't even read this all the way through and think and understand before reposting....I carried a handgun for years,,,44 mag to be precise, shot a large coyote at 40 feet which made it hop, sag a bit and kept running, second round made it skip but it was still running. I do believe it died from the wounds but it did not outright kill it. to big a gun just poked holes in it. I went back to carrying a 357mag only to realize years later people I encounted thought me rather macho for doing so, and carrying a double rifle or shotgun seemed a bit much so I quite carrying at all. Of course that was the time I did actually meet a griz on the trail...golly gee whiz setch a long winded fool here!

zimmertr
CS

CS
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 8:25 am 
Basically if bear psychology fails, and they don’t keep away or run off in fear after you retaliate, then the results aren’t that different from a human attacker it seems. Spray and bullets aren’t always effective against humans either, and spray definitely makes the human angry.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:05 am 
My big take away from the sad event is that the woman that was killed after fending off the bear with bear spray , went back to bed in her tent where the attack occurred and then was attacked again sometime later. Leaving the area seems like it would have resulted in a better outcome. Bear spray only gives you a reprieve from an attack. A properly place slug from a 12 gauge will kill a grizzly with some reliability. Personally I don't see myself going back to bed and falling asleep after either fending off a bear with spray or killing it with a firearm. I would have too much adrenaline to get any shuteye after such an encounter.

CS
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:11 am 
I always advise my wife and daughters to carry bear spray. Expect to need to use it multiple times on a bear. Once is usually enough on a human attacker. In all cases exit the area. Or carry a bazooka and hand grenades. In 60 years of frequent wilderness adventures I have been charged twice by bears. Once by a desperately hungry young black bear probably just turned away from his momma. The other time was by two Griz yearling recovering from PCP. Their mother had been shot by FW&P and they were tranquilized and released where I was working. Thanks guys. Moose four times.

"May you live in interesting times"
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 11:02 am 
cow moose with calf once stomped my fishing gear into the ground as I sat on very large boulder.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 1:38 am 
This author provides many examples where handguns where used effectively: Article on handgun effectivesness He claims to not be able to find many examples where handguns failed. Are there any recent examples where handguns failed that he ignored?

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 am 
this is not about how handguns failed but about how you the shooter failed in an unfamiliar panic situation being charged by a grizzly bear. Can you in that instant maintain enough calm to aim and shoot at vital points to kill the bear?????????????????

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 8:00 am 
Bernardo wrote:
This author provides many examples where handguns where used effectively: Article on handgun effectivesness He claims to not be able to find many examples where handguns failed. Are there any recent examples where handguns failed that he ignored?
The article is published in a publication whos purpose is marketing of firearms. Their study specifically only looks at cases where the handgun was discharged. It would be useful to know how many cases they didn't count where someone was in possession of a firearm, but wasn't able to use it. They also include cases as "successes" where people were killed or mauled, but not everyone in the party.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 9:34 am 
I am happy to debate and learn about this topic so long as it stays very friendly. smile.gif I have no plans to hike in grizz country so it is purely academic for me. I did see two bears in the last week in the North Cascades. One small one ran like the dickens and the other just stared me down on the trail. I backed away round a corner and after a short while proceeded on with no bear in sight. While the author does apparently start with a pro-gun bias, he specifically asks for contrary evidence. He is very open about his data and describes the incidents he includes. The authors of other studies have biases too. We all do. I think many of us would prefer that other hikers not have handguns for example. Many hikers would never consider carrying a handgun so the absolute effectiveness of bear spray is an important topic regardless of its relative effectiveness compared to handguns. The author provides many examples where people in panic mode have used a handgun to kill a bear, even grizzly bears. He highlights that he has heard many times that handguns don’t work to defend against bears, but claims that he can’t find much reporting on incidents where handguns failed over a hundred years. It should be possible to refute this claim with reports from public sources if it‘s not true. I would be very interested in examples where handguns failed.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 9:43 am 
With reguards to grizzly bears some of the info might be on the QT since in many places Where they are on the endangered species list. You have to prove your life was in danger or self defense to avoid prosecution. I have a friend that was on a moose hunt tending to cutting up the meat. The grizzly came in chopping its mouth. He fired a warning shot and the bear kept coming at 12 yards. He shot it in the nose killing it instantly as it rolled to his feet. Now most people would have panicked or filled their pants but he has experience around grizzly bears.