Forum Index > Trail Talk > Living in Cle Elum
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Triton

Triton
PostThu May 07, 2015 2:05 pm 
Looking at a job opportunity in Cle Elum. Does anyone have any experience in terms of what it is like to live there? Are the locals welcoming to newcomers? Any information is appreciated, thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 07, 2015 2:09 pm 
Look for a PM soon. Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 07, 2015 2:18 pm 
Message sent.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chico

Chico
PostThu May 07, 2015 4:00 pm 
Would depend on the crowd you hang out with.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu May 07, 2015 4:14 pm 
Cle Elum is a hick town with lots of manly types who don't cotton to strangers, weirdos, freaks, hippies, perverts, liberals, Jews, Mexicans, Arabs, or Prius drivers. That's not an inclusive list by any means, but it's a start.

newc14
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostThu May 07, 2015 5:33 pm 
You say that like it's a bad thing hockeygrin.gif

Chico

Chico
PostThu May 07, 2015 7:29 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Cle Elum is a hick town with lots of manly types who don't cotton to strangers, weirdos, freaks, hippies, perverts, liberals, Jews, Mexicans, Arabs, or Prius drivers. That's not an inclusive list by any means, but it's a start.
Cle Elum used to have practically every nationality you can think of. I don't think coal miners then would have been called hicks. But it's changed over the years.

Triton

Triton
PostThu May 07, 2015 8:29 pm 
kabatku, I take it you've spent a lot of time there?

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu May 07, 2015 9:36 pm 
I'm from the area but don't have much of a reason to hang around Cle Elum. If I had to work there I'd take Ellensburg and commute. Nothing wrong with Cle Elum really, just a typical Eastside town without much going on, sucky politics and lots of Jesus. Nice outdoorsy stuff close by though if you're into that sort of thing. Had a weird thing there once where a bar refused to serve us because they thought we were gay (I'm guessing, or maybe just because we were strangers). My boss and I stopped in there one evening coming back from a job and I guess we looked too clean and fruity for their liking. Everyone in the bar was staring at us ( it felt like anyway) and the owner said they were completely out of food - at seven o clock. Then he just stood there looking at us until we left. It was really weird, but one of those experiences that money just can't buy.

SMPaul

SMPaul
PostFri May 08, 2015 10:53 am 
I had that same experience in Lolo Pass, MT. Back in the 80’s a group of us from WSU headed to the area for some x-country skiing, and when we stopped by a bar/restaurant for a bite, we walked in, all sound stopped, and every head in the place turned towards us. The targeted glaring continued throughout our delicious meal, and yes, as soon as we were done, we hightailed it out of there. Beautiful area, but at the time, it was also a creepy area! I also have fond memories of the Lolo Pass resort, which was a collection of old singe wide mobile homes parked side by side, and “joined” by a common deck that ran the length of the joined mobile homes. Oh, the only water in the units, was water pumped directly from the local hot springs. Nothing like SCALDING hot water to brush your teeth and shower!!!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 08, 2015 11:06 am 
I live there and Ive had no such problems. Im not saying they don't exist, but then they exist anywhere! CE is a small eastern Washington town. You get and you give away many things to live there. For example; the Safeway there is the ONLY game in town. Subsequently they charge 30% more for their food than other Safeway's AND it's very old store with ZERO insensitive to upgrade. Its the highest grossing store in the chain. I go to Ellensburg for my major shopping. We don't have a lot of people, or traffic and all the crap that comes along with it. Every time I go west into King County I want to screen! I cant believe I lived over there and dealt with all that CRAP everyday. It used to take 45 minutes just to cross Issaquah at times!!!! I guess its all relative. Its nice having Salmon La Sac and the Teeanaway so close as well.

Chico

Chico
PostFri May 08, 2015 11:53 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
We don't have a lot of people, or traffic and all the crap that comes along with it.
With people moving in (California) that is about to change. It used to be MUCH quieter until the people on the WET side started moving over.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 08, 2015 12:40 pm 
Of course there is the eventuality of more people. Washington State has suffered that since the first invasion of Kalifornians in the early to mid 70's. It going to happen, especially with how POORLY Kalifornia is run. They are so in debt they will never be able to pay it off. Leaving the state is really the only option. That means more people here. I've thought of moving to Idaho actually. Washington state has 7 million people. Idaho has 1! Washington could hit 10 million in my lifetime. Idaho wont grow much in comparison.

contour5

contour5
PostFri May 08, 2015 12:58 pm 
Quote:
ZERO insensitive to upgrade
That makes me want to screen too ! Idaho is looking better all the time!

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 08, 2015 1:01 pm 
Idaho is too far from the sea. And their politics make Eastern Washington look like Berkley.