Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 1:19 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
If you are staying in Winthrop, Leavenworth, and Stehekin what daily hikes do you recommend? It’s going to be over 100 degrees in those areas when we arrive. frown.gif
You are coming back for more of the Evergreen state? You must have had a good time last summer. I think you had to dodge questionable weather and smoke last time. This time, too much sunshine. Go figure. At least we don't have smoke yet.

Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 2:08 pm 
Good thing I have plans for a trip hitting Oval, Courtney, & Star next week. And Annapurna. And The Brothers. Why do I always schedule my PTO during the worst times lol. At least the snow will finally melt out above 5k...

Flickr | Strava

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 2:37 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
At least the snow will finally melt out above 5k...
FYI to anybody who needs to hear this. It's been a cool spring and summer so far, and snow has lingered as a result. It's about to get hotter than it's been so far this year. That's going to accelerate the melt. Creeks and rivers will be extra high during this extra melt period. Crossing dangerous ones will require extra caution, or just be a bad idea.

Mountainpines
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 5:58 pm 
According to the GFS, the freezing level may hit 18,000' Tuesday; just 700' below last year's record. Mountain temperatures will be blazing. There is a bad outlook from Monday through the following weekend, with the freezing level scarcely below 16,000', but mostly remaining near or above 17,000' all week. This surpasses what happened during the 2009 heatwave, although near Puget Sound wind direction will be a larger component of what happens. Time to park it.

Mountainpines, Chief Joseph
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 8:54 pm 
Wait. Did Scatter Creek burn in the Twisp fire? If so, the forest the trail starts in is....burned

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Mountainpines, rbuzby
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 8:51 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Wait. Did Scatter Creek burn in the Twisp fire? If so, the forest the trail starts in is....burned
The trail to Scatter lake burned a few years ago. The area around the lake still un-burned. A TR from this year did not mention the lake vicinity being toasted. The Wolf Creek to Gardner meadows trail burned last year. But the meadows still look good, per a recent TR.

Mountainpines
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 8:58 am 
gb wrote:
Mountain temperatures will be blazing. Time to park it.
Back in January, I picked next week for my time off. It looks like perfect sunny weather! Forecast says it may be 75 degrees at around 5300 feet on the ridge I will be on. If it's 91 down in civilization. Hmmm, should I sit in my 3rd floor apartment where it will be 85+, or go to the mountains in perfect weather? It's a no brainer. I'm going to park it in the mountains! I found a place I have never been before, with room to get away from anybody else out there. Up high with views. Heading out at 3 tomorrow morning. biggrin.gif

Mountainpines, rubywrangler, zimmertr
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 11:16 am 
Saw this whilst riding back from the Okanogan Farmer's Market. I fear it has begun. waah.gif waah.gif Eastish of East Omak and likely on tribal land.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 11:36 am 
Flickr | Strava

Mountainpines
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 1:30 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
East or SW? I see there's an active burn just south of Chelan at the moment. https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx Media reports it's 80% contained though. https://www.ncwlife.com/news/all-evacuation-alerts-lifted-as-stayman-flats-fire-is-80-percent-contained/article_a5caa91a-090b-11ed-8b3e-1716fa013f5a.html
Much to my surprise and embarrassment, it apparently is a cloud. I figured fire because it was the only such cloud to be seen and was not moving at all. It was a very devious cloud. I sure thought it was not a cloud of the weather variety. But I'm glad for that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

gumby  SpookyKite89, CS, zimmertr
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 7:32 am 
zimmertr wrote:
Good thing I have plans for a trip hitting Oval, Courtney, & Star next week.
Avoid the West Fork Buttermilk this year. The ranger in Winthrop told me the trail is a big mess beyond the wilderness boundary and is not at the top of the priority list.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Mountainpines
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 7:35 am 
Yeah.... Forecast for Winthrop, Stehekin, Leavenworth, Chelan, etc is basically 100+ for the next week. My plans are probably hosed. Heading to the Olympics today for a couple days instead. After that? I dunno. Wish this heatwave could have happened last week and melted everything out for me. nopity.gif

Flickr | Strava

Mountainpines
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 8:20 am 
If you start early and stay high it might not be too bad. Like pre dawn start. It’s been hot over here in the Wenatchee Valley but also very dry and it’s cooling down at night. If you’re back at the trailhead or your campsite by 1200-1300 and hunkered down in the shade you’ll be alright if you have water. I’m more concerned about the bugs really, they’re terrible on Nason and Wenatchee Ridges right now

gb

gb
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 4:27 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Back in January, I picked next week for my time off. It looks like perfect sunny weather! Forecast says it may be 75 degrees at around 5300 feet on the ridge I will be on. If it's 91 down in civilization.
That doesn't work. Today on Granite with an early start. It was comfortable to about 4500' in the remnants of the marine push from Saturday. But the higher I got the hotter it became. It felt like 90+ above the tarns with a diverse and wonderful population of bugs. Todays 5000' temperature was supposed to be 25C; this week it will range between 27C and 30-32C (warmer at the end of the week) at 5000'. Paradise should get to near 90F. It is hotter along and east of the crest.

Mountainpines
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 5:29 am 
This map always displays any weather watches/warnings. For details from NOAA, click the map and then follow the link.
View larger size in new window

Mountainpines