Forum Index > Trip Reports > Logan via Fremont Glacier July 22-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 12:46 pm 
Mount Logan via Fremont Glacier. Nancy, Max and I climbed as a 3 day trip friday to Sunday. As it's about 50 miles/12k gain it's a lot of effort. Thunder Creek Trail is in excellent condition. Ranger state not cleared above Skagit Queen but there are only a couple blow down trees. It's brushy the last 3 miles to camp so if it's morning expect to get wet. I found some nettles too. The ford of Thunder Creek right before the stock camp was deep, crotch deep both early evening friday and 6am Sunday. It's powerful water. Possible alternative crossing a bit before the trail, looks less powerful but much wider and still very deep. I carried water shoes for this and feel it was a great decision. The camp is mostly melted out but the mosquitoes are absolutely terrible. Almost the worst I've ever been in. Two friendly young bucks who enjoyed snacking near our camp site. The water crossings along the trail towards park creek pass and along the climber trail are all running high so wet feet especially in the afternoon. One particular stream crossing, a deep chasm, didn't have an obvious trail on the other side so we went high initially but you can cross and scramble up just fine. Many snow patches along the route were quite firm in the morning. Last water around 7800, as we gained the last snow field to the glacier. We roped up, only saw a couple slumping crevasses but having seen late season photos of the glacier for me carrying the gear 25 miles in was worth it for safety. The snow finger got us into the gully. Scramble is loose and very exposed. We found a couple of 4th class moves with considerable exposure. Although we had a rope and a set of nuts it was okay for us to scramble up and down unroped, spotting each other's feet for holds on the down climb. Amazing views from the route and summit. my 84th Smoot. Big thanks to Max for becoming one of the few people to climb Logan twice!

Prosit, Nancyann, ozzy, rstoddard24, raising3hikers, jaysway, LukeHelgeson, hot.choss, Gimpilator, Tom, reststep, RichP, fffej50, neek  Kenji
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 1:03 pm 
Such a remote and beautiful area.
Bluebird wrote:
Big thanks to Max for becoming one of the few people to climb Logan twice!
I beat him to it the day before!
Bluebird wrote:
The ford of Thunder Creek right before the stock camp was deep, crotch deep both early evening friday and 6am Sunday. It's powerful water. Possible alternative crossing a bit before the trail, looks less powerful but much wider and still very deep.
Seriously. I almost backed out of that first crossing, but forged on. On the return we took the way a little downstream you mentioned, and it was trivial in comparison. Not much more than ankle deep.

Bluebird
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 1:10 pm 
Interesting! I think the water level rose a lot over the day we were there! I was surprised it was still so deep early in the morning Sunday. Probably the heat.

hot.choss

hot.choss
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 7:51 pm 
Thanks for the beautiful trip report. The views were worth the slog... even the second time. biggrin.gif

Bluebird