Forum Index > Trip Reports > 50 Years of Toleak 7/24 -7/26 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 pm 
Well, 10 years ago I posted this Trip Report, 40 Years of Toleak, when I recalled my 1st trip here in 1972! I've posted a handful of Toleak trip reports here, as you may know. Here I go again...time for a 50th anniversary trip, and not inconsequentially, a cooling break from the heat. smile.gif I left Leavenworth at 6:00AM and with a ferry wait and stops arrived at the Third Beach Trailhead at 1:00 in the afternoon. As a popular destination for Third beach day hikers, the parking lot was full and I had to wait 30 minutes for a spot to open up. No problem as I took advantage to ready my gear. Soon enough I was underway over familiar trail, beaches, scrambles and headland crossings to one of the usual camp sites near Sundial/Witch's Hat Rock between Strawberry and Toleak. I settled in and enjoyed the first night's sunset.
The next day I rambled south to the next headland crossing to the northern end of Mosquito Creek Beach. The tide was coming in so I was unable to pass through the portal in the rock to Goodman Creek Beach.
Crossing back over the headland, the forest was sublime and I snapped a shot of the Goodman Creek crossing. Zooming in at the image at home, to the left of the flagging, I see an eerie image of a fernman. eek.gif
Back at camp I enjoyed another nice evening wandering and conversing with a delightful group of hikers down from Vancouver. wave.gif The next day I had a great hike out and made the obligatory stop in Sequim for oysters and refreshment. wink.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

Randito, RodF, brewermd, Nancyann, SpookyKite89, Slim, kite, RichP, half fast, HitTheTrail, reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 10:41 pm 
congrats on the milestone. you are certainly fortunate to get 50 years at such a great spot.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 6:10 am 
up.gif Nice tradition.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Jul 29, 2022 2:49 pm 
The rotting timbers and slick conditions on the steep scrambles did have me questioning myself, at my age. However, I concluded that "If you think you can't do something because you're too old, you probably are." Moreover, "If you stop challenging yourself (barring some physical incapacity), then aging wins." That being said, I anticipate many more anniversaries out there. dizzy.gif A couple other things, there are now a couple of new outhouses, at least new in the past couple years, one at Scott's Bluff and the other one on the north side of Toleak. Also, huge credit to those who have been doing beach clean-up. up.gif Just wondering if they are able to helicopter the consolidation pile out of the wilderness area?

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

RodF