Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Ann and Chain Lakes, July 31-Aug 2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ian Saylor

Ian Saylor
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 4:28 pm 
Connected with a lifelong friend on a trip to the Mt. Baker Wilderness. Brought my son along for his first backpacking trip in the PNW. Three days overall. First day: excruciatingly hot on the way to Lake Ann, which was mostly frozen except for a cute idyllic hypothermic swimming hole at the far end. Relaxing by the icy lake it was still uncomfortably oppressively warm even with a pile of snow on the head.
Spent the night at Lake Ann on one of the very few bare patches by the trees. Magnificent view of Mt. Shuksan and Curtis Glacier.
Packed up and left camp the next morning, less hot but still hot.
Saw maybe five hikers or so in the way back to the Lake Ann trailhead, where we got back in the car and drove down to the Heather Meadows Cafe for a fantastic lunch and a refreshing glass of Blueberry Lemonade. After the recharge, went to Artist Point and began the Galena Chain Lakes loop clockwise. Found a great site at Hayes Lake where we all were pretty much half-consumed by skeeters. Nice view though.
Woke up and finished hiking out. Epic.
Last little bit of the hike involved slogging up the wild goose trail from Austin Pass back to the car.

RichP, jaysway, ChrisSJI, half fast, reststep, seawallrunner
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 4:51 pm 
Great pics. THanks for posting.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Ian Saylor
Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 9:49 am 
That you for that report! I really appreciated the snow level update (Lake Ann still frozen!!!?!). Such a lovely area that never disappoints. Especially cool that you got an overnight trip in with your kid! Two years ago at this same time of year I did a day trip up Shuksan and Lake Ann was completely devoid of snow, and a bit crowded with campers (it appears that there would be regulation in this area soon due to the crowds). I also did a loop around Table Mt on the Chain Lakes trail from the warming hut, starting in sun but ending in a misty white out. Despite the crowds at the parking lots of Austin Pass and Artist Point, I had the trail to myself!

Ian Saylor