Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Persis access (hiway 2 near Index) via Forest Service Road 62
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dsahlberg

dsahlberg
PostSat May 28, 2022 6:32 am 
Hello folks, I drove by this access road (62) a few days ago and noticed that the long closed gate at hiway 2 is now open. Does anyone know if it's open "permanently" now (or when it opens and closes) ? Is the ranger district responsible for opening and closing ? Thanks for any help here. Doug S.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat May 28, 2022 9:44 am 
I thought its been open for a while? We went up to persis last October. I think my neighbour said they where up there driving around a couple weeks ago.

dsahlberg

dsahlberg
PostSat May 28, 2022 10:09 am 
OK, I hope it's open "full time" now. I'm going to call the rangers' on Tuesday and confirm.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSat May 28, 2022 3:40 pm 
Wiiiide open as of this morning. Seems pretty permanent - there are quite a few “established” campsites and a shooting range along the road. Let us know what the official word is!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
babylero

babylero
PostSat May 28, 2022 10:31 pm 
It opened last summer after the logger land was sold. I called the ranger last year and they said it was staying open. Got up Index via Persis last September.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat May 28, 2022 10:50 pm 
Thanks for the info! I've been itching for Persindex. I just hope they don't close the gate again. We went there right before it closed around Labor Day? People were shooting across the road and we had to ask them to stop so we could drive by. On the way down the gun shots sounded very close. We found shells and earplugs on the trail a couple hundred feet above the car. We yelled the rest of the way down and finally got them to stop. Some local kids shooting down the trail as well as down a gully (that the road crosses down below) by the parking area. There really should have been some LEO officer up there but it was a holiday.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun May 29, 2022 6:20 am 
We went for a tour of the cadman quarry last week. They plan on expanding their operation to do hard rock quarrying just west of 6200. This would be on the big knob that burned several springs ago. The plan doesn't call for use of 6200, but it will have some impact. Main thing will be noise. Im sure you will hear any blasting, and possibly machinery. (Big bear already has a blasting quarry up there. Plus 100 trucks per day to add to the pleasure of driving highway 2. Cadman might get a shooting restriction due to their workers being on an exposed ridge. The logging company originally got the gates locked for the same reason. My neighbour went up there to shoot years ago. Leo said it was illegal, and made them clean everything up, even though he never got to fire a shot.

dsahlberg

dsahlberg
PostSun May 29, 2022 9:51 am 
I too have been there in the past with shooting happening and people walking around with guns in cammo gear. I grew up around guns but it's a bit creepy as a hiker I will say. Thanks everyone, this information is all very encouraging ! I will blog back after I get the latest info from the Ranger next week. Doug

philfort

philfort
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 12:25 am 
FYI, there was a sign on the gate today that said "GATE WILL BE CLOSED ON JULY 1ST". I'm guessing that's not a permanent closure, just a "keep the 4th of July yahoos out" closure. (There's also a second sign that says the gate may be closed at any time, and if you end up locked behind the gate, it could take up to a week to get your car back).

RichP
GoodStuff

GoodStuff
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 3:08 pm 
Hi All - I thought I'd share this since I haven't seen it posted: If you go to the following site, there's an interactive map. Just zoom into FS 62 and click on it to see the details below. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/conditions/?cid=STELPRDB5126323 Road Name: North Fork Tolt RD 261 Road Number: 62 Condition: Closed Notes: The road is closed as of July 1st due to on going logging and illegal dumping will reopen April 2023

RichP, awilsondc  KascadeFlat
subalpinist

subalpinist
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 4:18 pm 
So much for the easier Persis Index traverse start this summer.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 3:20 pm 
I was up there 2 weeks ago (after July 1st) and the gate was open. YMMV.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"