Forum Index > Trail Talk > A Positive experience with the Permit Process
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 10:55 am 
To get a permit for a trip North Cascades National Park, you have to pick it up in person, with only a few exceptions: https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/permits.htm Access to the park via Baker Lake Road (i.e. Sulphide Glacier route on Shuksan, and Baker River Trail) Entering the park via Stehekin (Lake Chelan ferry system, private boat, plane, foot). You may contact us the day before arriving in Stehekin. And, Walk-up permits can only be issued for trips starting at East Bank, Easy Pass, Bridge Creek trailhead, or via Twisp Pass, War Creek Pass, and Chelan Summit Trail. My planned trip fit in one of those categories, so I followed the instructions, and emailed the NCNP early in the morning Sunday, the day before I wanted to leave. I might have bet at least $50 nobody would reply to my email, but I am glad I didn't. I got a reply to my email around 9:30 Sunday morning, that said we will call you in a few minutes to issue your permit. "Forrest" called me a few minutes later from Marblemount. He said my destination was no problem, and after a short lecture on leave no trace, and a few questions about what illegal things I might be planning (none, no hunting fishing, or pets were coming with me,) I gave him my CC # for the permit fee, then a few minutes later he emailed the permit to me. Easy as can be. A Positive experience with the Permit Process!

Walkin' Fool
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whoami
Probably Nobody

whoami
Probably Nobody
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:31 pm 
Thanks for your invaluable public service message. So appreciated!

A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

rbuzby
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 1:27 pm 
No idea if it's the same person, but I met a Ranger named Forest out patrolling on the ridge between Sibley Creek Pass and Hidden Lake Peak. This was quite a few years ago, but same area. Anyway he seemed like a nice guy.

rbuzby
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 1:38 pm 
The experience for me of getting a campsite at Heart O' the Hills Campground at Olympic National Park the other day was a new one too. We found a site, held my phone up to a QR Code at the bulletin board which took me to a website specifically for check-in there, then paid online. Very easy.

rbuzby, Cyclopath