Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trail Runner/Low Top Boot Store Suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:19 am 
Yeah, I agree. The thing is, I already have three. I have full size, all-leather boots I use in the spring. They are great for kicking steps. Since they are all leather, they can be waterproofed quite easily. I also have a pair of all-leather low tops. They are poor for kicking steps, but can handle wet terrain just fine (again, because of the leather). I tend to use them when I expect to be mostly on dry trail, but with some moderate angle snow. Finally I have trail runners. These are for going on big trips in mid to late summer (basically now). Sometimes they get wet, but they dry out fairly quickly. That is what my Altra shoes were. These Merrill's are now a further niche. I'll wear them when I'm not covering big miles and expect a lot of rocks (Pilchuck is a classic example). I won't wear them if I think I'll get them wet. At least that is what I assume I'll use them for when I end up getting trail runners again. Worth noting: Merrill has dozens of shoes called "Moab". It is like "Dodge" cars and trucks -- there is a very wide variety. Basically everything from midsize boots to casual shoes for around town.

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:39 am 
I can’t believe no one has mentioned La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Best trail shoe around if they fit your feet

RossB

RossB
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 am 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I can’t believe no one has mentioned La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Best trail shoe around if they fit your feet
Because the topic of discussion is shoe stores, not shoes in particular. We only drifted into Merrill shoes because that is what I happened to buy (at Dick's Sporting Goods in Northgate).

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:11 pm 
RossB wrote:
Because the topic of discussion is shoe stores, not shoes in particular. We only drifted into Merrill shoes because that is what I happened to buy (at Dick's Sporting Goods in Northgate).
Okay, you let me know when thread drift is appropriate Ranger Ross

RossB

RossB
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:53 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
RossB wrote:
Okay, you let me know when thread drift is appropriate Ranger Ross
I'm trying to answer your inquiry, that's all. You "can't believe" that no one mentioned a particular shoe. I can. I specifically said I wasn't interested. There are probably a lot of people who read the post, have those exact shoes, love them, but didn't respond, because no one was asking. Mystery solved. Feel free to start a thread about shoes you like. My guess is you will get dozens and dozens of suggestions. I get notifications on this one because I am still curious about store options (and Chief Joseph specifically asked me a question so I feel it would be rude if I ignored him).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 12:13 am 
I have seen a few people wearing Oboz shoes recently and I like the look, anyone here have any experience with them? These look like they would be for light hikers. https://www.sportsmans.com/footwear-outdoor-casual-men-women-youth/mens-outdoor/mens-hiking-boots/oboz-mens-sawtooth-ii-low-hiking-shoes/p/1741907?channel=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw-vmkBhBMEiwAlrMeF4ML08_5dwkI_tNftfp1tsTp9Y-s2_IFrZiNuc_KyYlSbjj4dpfLMhoCqQIQAvD_BwE

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 10:35 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have seen a few people wearing Oboz shoes recently and I like the look, anyone here have any experience with them?
I've had several pairs of Oboz shoes and especially like the Oboz Men's Sawtooth II Low Hiking Shoes (the model that comes up when clicking your link). I find them very comfortable (the most comfortable of any shoes I've worn) and hiked Section J last summer with zero issues. They are also very durable, although the price you pay for this is that they are a bit heavy in the sole. Also, the traction on the soles isn't quite as good as shoes with more prominent rubber cleats, but I think the absence of "cleats" is why the soles are more durable. NOT thread drift, just responding to a question!

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 am 
These may not be too helpful. I would recommend: Bakers Boots in Eugene as perhaps the best place in the NW to get fitted for boots. Danner - The Landing in Renton. I can fit zero Danner boots, but they have a wide range from welted to cemented sole, and the shop is nice. Now that ABC-Mart owns Danner and White's, they have a few pairs of White's on the shelf you can check out, and you can get fitted at Danner for custom White's handsewns. Wide Shoes Only in Edmonds and Renton - Obviously a niche shop, but a great one.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jul 01, 2023 3:08 pm 
The advantage of the Lone Peaks is they are a zero drop shoe. Wearing theses requires a more barefoot walking style. I used to suffer plantar fasciitis resulting from the heel strikes wearing “regular shoes”. I have had every Lone Peak from version 4 to my current 7s Lone Peak has other models besides the lone peak. There are other minimalist shoes out there. Xero Mesa, Merrill Trail Glove get good reviews. Really comes down to if you still want minimalist shoes.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat Jul 01, 2023 3:24 pm 
But what store should I get them fitted at????!!!!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jul 16, 2023 9:25 am 
La Sportiva Spire is working for me, low top beefy "running shoe". I'd describe it as also a low cut hiking boot. I've also had good experiences with its predecessor the ECO 3.0.

Off trail rambler
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Jul 16, 2023 9:55 am 
Those that liked the older Lone Peaks but find the newer ones uncomfortable might want to try on Altra's Olympus model. It is a heavier shoe designed for motion control but I find it more comfortable and durable than the Lone Peaks.

rossb, Seventy2002, InFlight
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jul 20, 2023 10:45 pm 
I'd recommend going heavy these days. Something to bolster each step. These days they're all trying to get you to go light these days!! The better way to go is to go heavy these days.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 7:01 pm 
I have 2 pair of ASICS trail runners and after hiking 17 miles in one pair I ended up with a painful blister on one toe. Later, looking at the shoes, even though they were the same style-color but a year apart, one had a much wider toe box. So you are advised to not do as I did.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.