Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What's this scam?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:02 pm 
Hopefully no one needs to hear this, but the correct response is to go to your bank and look at your history. No $570 charge, which isn't surprising. So this is a phishing email. Unusual that it wasn't filtered as spam. I'm not going to call that number, I'm curious if anybody has seen this before and knows the story? I know it's fake, I'm curious about the details. I know scammers try to trick people into calling pay per minute numbers, this one should be a free call though? Does it just go to a call center where they hope you're gullible, or is it more nefarious and clever?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 pm 
My guess from the comment about claiming a refund is that they want the credit card number or banking info "you'd like the refund credited to" in the hopes of obtaining your private information

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 2:04 pm 
That makes good sense. I guess that's why they put the word refund in the email.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 4:29 pm 
There's lots of videos online regarding how the scam works but basically they give you a fake refund but it ends up being off by a decimal so you owe them money and they have you go to the store to buy gift cards to cover the difference.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 5:30 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
the correct response is to go to your bank and look at your history
I think I'd say the correct response is to automatically delete any email that purports to be a "receipt" you weren't expecting, or "virus" notifications, password requests, etc. 100% of that stuff is scams. But def under no circumstances should you ever call the number in an email. If you're ever somehow unsure if it's a scam, you go to the actual website of the company in question and find their customer service number. Jim Browning has videos about these scams: you call the number and it's a scam center generally on India, they get you to install "help desk" software, then get you to type in a "refund" amount, make you check your bank account and then hack the webpage to display like you mistyped and accidentally got 10x the refund. Then they get you to buy gift cards, threaten they'll take all your money, etc etc. Nasty stuff that prays on the less tech savvy.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 pm 
When Norton starts offering to pay the ransom for PCs attacked by ransomware that defeated their protection, then it might be worth paying for.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 5:52 pm 
I had a similar one yesterday from ‘Bank of America’. Said they were holding up approval of my purchase of $659.87, until I either ‘replied yes’….which of course I wouldn’t do since I didn’t make such a purchase- or else needed to ‘dispute’ the amount….. in which case I needed to click on the link enclosed; which of course didn’t look anything even remotely like a B of Am. acct link. Ya sure….

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am 
I got 4 of these yesterday from different senders - offering a much better deal than yours

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 11:04 am 
Interesting that is a different phone binder but the same formatting including spaces and bold text. I get plenty of down fishing texts from banks I don't have an account with. There's always a link at the bottom of them. It feels odd to see a phone number instead. Kind of threw me off.