Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Perseids in the parking lot - big FAIL!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 1:58 pm 
I thought to post this in the thread for lazy TR's, but this wasn't really a trip; not even a hike really, but it sure was lazy. I was in Snohomish county on the 11th, running an errand and visiting with some friends east of Granite Falls. Instead of heading home afterward I decided to travel further east to a good viewing spot for the night-before-peak of the Perseid meteor shower. I knew the full moon would be on, but in the past the moon never seemed to hurt the show much. My usual m.o. for Perseids viewing is to head to my sekrit camp spot on peak night, and I've always been rewarded with lots of sky action, including a blue-green fireball one year. My choice for viewing needs no ID to locals. I recalled from a recent Trail Talk thread that the USFS had removed the picnic area toilets due to some vandalism but I hadn't expected they'd close the gate and add a "no parking any time" sign. At least the overflow lot was open. The walk thru the marsh was gorgeous and full of evening creature sounds. I walked to the defunct bridge, but by then it was too dark and I too unmotivated to cross the river, complete the stroll and check the condition of the ice caves this year.
Skeeters were out in force but not so much in the parking lot where I set up my recliner. Must admit that after reading all the reports this year about the increase in TH vandalism and general mayhem I was a bit anxious about hanging out there alone, invisible from the road but so close. But it wasn't long before moonrise, and I was back home in Seattle by half-past midnight. Didn't see a single meteor, even before moonrise. huh.gif Other sightings: one bat, a record number of satellites going in different directions (no doubt some of them the new ones Elon put up), and a deer leaping into the road in front of me that necessitated slamming on the brakes despite driving under the speed limit. Good thing it was me and not the doofus who sped by me around 50 mph.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Cyclopath, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:34 pm 
Last summer we were observing the Perseids near Sunrise, the viewing was pretty good and then very quickly the viewing became muddy and the previously clear outline of the mountain became murky. What is going on we wonder, then we smelled smoke and realized that smoke from the fire over by Bumping Lake had drifted west.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 9:09 pm 
Next year will be better astronomically during the Perseids peak, according to this handy moon phase tool: https://stardate.org/nightsky/moon Assuming we don't have clouds and smoke. There was no point going out those years we had so much fire smoke, which I'd bet will be more of a problem going forward than the chance of clouds. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 14, 2022 9:07 am 
Saw some big ones last night at Seaside after volleyball tourney.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
CS

CS
PostSun Aug 14, 2022 10:37 pm 
I considered going out, but figured I’d have to stay up until 2am for it to be dark enough to see much, and I’d be pretty tired the next day.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 am 
Could have been a hoax!!! Was probably a hoax.