Forum Index > Gear Talk > Double plastics in seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 6:08 pm 
Im in the market for a pair of legit cold weather boots, as my prior pair has finally aged too much. These new fangled singIe wall ultralight boots that are all the rage look like they are designed for frostbite in about 4 seconds in anything more difficult than summer Rainier. Give me the tried and true heavy! I want my toes to sweat at amundsen-scott. I want to be able to kick steps in the side of a grizzly bear without the crampons flexing off. I want to stand in 80mph rain and never get my feet wet! Sure i could order a pair online.... but i prefer to try them on because online sizing is always a bit of guesswork. REI bellevue doesnt have anything and I suspect the flagship is only marginally better. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 8:52 am 
Decent review of some options https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/climbing/best-mountaineering-boot

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 9:06 am 
"Scarpa Inverno Mountaineering Boot - Moosejaw" https://www.moosejaw.com/product/scarpa-inverno-mountaineering-boot_10084984 Also why buy when you can rent for $16 per day? "Climbing Gear - REI Co-op Rentals: Seattle" https://seattle.rentals.rei.com/portal/category/Climbing%20Gear/814 If you really want to own, I think this is about the time of year when REI moves a chunk of their rental fleet to "the garage" and sells them.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 10:53 am 
Check Craigslist. Under "sporting goods", search "boot XX" (XX being your shoe size.) I picked up a pair of old waffle stompers for $30 bucks, including shipping from Blaine. Check Ebay. search "boot XX" (again, XX being shoe size.) Ebay takes longer. Took me about three weeks to find a pair of size 13 Timberlands for about $30 bucks including shipping. (Actually it was $72 and change including shipping and tax for the Timberlands AND the "New Balance" sneakers also shown in the image.)(I never wore thoe sneakers ... gave 'em away last month.) And we've had this conversation here about 82 gazillion times, but if you want dry feet, wear leather boots and put Obenauf's LP on them. YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 5:43 pm 
Also in terms of the sweat issue for plastic double boots. They don't "breath" at all, the same as plastic ski boots. One method I use , particularly for multi day trips is to apply antiperspirant spray to my feet. This really does keep the socks much drier.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 6:05 pm 
As someone who knows the gear, Big Boot is the WAY 2 GO!!

hbb

hbb
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 am 
I think you'll have a hard time finding a brick and mortar retailer with a selection of plastics to try on. You won't have any problems finding a more modern boot, however.