Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Last year for tomatoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:39 am 
Both HOAs and condo associations overstep their authority. They treat the owners like they are renters. Even though they are the servants and employees of the owners they seek to control. First rule is, never move to a place governed by a HOA or condo association. Second rule is, if you make a mistake and accept the yoke of an HOA or condo association, attend the regular meetings and raise the issue if they overstep. Remind them that they work for you. Network with fellow owners. Third rule is, if you get nowhere after attending meetings and using "soft power," hire an attorney and bring the issue before a judge.

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 pm 
Update: So far this year we have harvested over 260lb of tomatoes (and we don't even count the Sungolds we harvest) The last 4 days have averaged over 30lb per day. The largest have been: 2.1lb (Big Daddy - dozen or so over 1lb) 1.4lb (Mortgage Lifter 6 over 1lb) 1.7lb (Dark Star - Unusually large for that variety) 10.6oz (Polish Linguisa - bigger ones are ripening on the vine) The Polish Linguisas are just starting to ripen and each of the 4 plants have about 30 tomatoes on them. Lost of Salsa ready to harvest soon. We expect the Big Daddy, Early Girl, and Mortgage Lifter varieties to start slowing down soon. One plant died (too much weight for the supports which kinked the stem). I replaced it with a sucker taken from a Sungold which is doing well and already has small fruit on it after a couple weeks. HOA: We delivered about 50 bags to over 90% of our division of the neighborhood including the board members and president. I got a nice note from the president saying how much he enjoyed the tomatoes, that delivering to the neighborhood was a classy gesture, and that he hates being a board member. Lots of support from neighbors regarding the HOA decision including some offering to start petitions and others hoping we ignore the HOA. We haven't decided what to do/not do yet. I definitely want to cut the number down if we grow again - just too time consuming especially managing the seedlings. Here are a few harvest shots.

mosey, RichP, RichardJ, Waterman
RichP

RichP
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 12:39 pm 
That's an impressive tomato harvest. I wouldn't stop growing, just grow less as you have stated. You obviously have the touch for gardening. The world need more neighbors like you and less whiny HOA types.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 9:20 pm 
Thanks RichP, We learn something new every year. Last year it was about aspirin and fertilizer mix. This year it was transplanting deep, manual pollination, and sucker propagation. I don't mind the tending, trimming, and harvesting but 70+ seed starts is just too many to manage watering, grow lights, and transplanting. And there are a couple of varieties we grew this year that we won't grow again. Not sure what approach to take yet regarding the HOA. I suspect they already wished they had rejected the complaint instead of sending us the letter. We have a small space in the back yard that is suitable for 8 plants or so. I definitely don't want to grow any more in those big black containers.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Sep 12, 2022 3:01 am 
I wish I had neighbors like you!

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 6:50 am 
Any tricks for eradicating "Southern green shield" bugs? I am finding these on my tomatoes in the mornings. I haven't noticed damage but Google search tells me they can damage the leaves and fruit (especially young fruit) of tomatoe plants. I have been picking them off but I guess I should be crushing them.