Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wind River Range Loop thoughts: Elkhart, Summit and Elbow Lakes, Knapsack Col, Fremont, out???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostMon Sep 05, 2022 2:40 pm 
Hi, This is what I came up with over the past day(s) since (probably) committing to this trip. I have never been to the area, but this seems like a pretty decent loop sample. Any specific thoughts, ideas, recommendations--especially as to: (1) Which direction generally preferred: counterclockwise or clockwise? (2) The hike from Peak Lake over Knapsack Col to Titcomb Basin and/or vice-versa? (3) The route from Mistake Lake to Fremont Saddle and/or vice versa? Since I want to visit Indian Basin anyway and I am not sure the dog will want to summit, is it easier to just use the trail over to Indian Basin and approach the Saddle from that side rather than carry-over (with a lot of water)? If so, maybe I go counterclockwise rather than clockwise? (4) Exit/Enter via Seneca Lake or the longer route via Tommy Lake and the Pole Creek Lakes? (5) Maybe shorten to enter via Seneca to Peak Lake via the Jean Lakes instead of Summit and Elbow Lakes? (6) Anything else? Other class Dog summits? Side trips? SECRETS TO PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE PM ME THAT I WILL DISCLOSE, IF EVER, ONLY STRICTLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR SPECIFIC DIRECTIVES??? Please share any and all thoughts. I am beginning to get excited and will leave either by Wednesday (maybe even tomorrow evening) or early next week. Thanks so much and I hope everybody is having/had a great holiday weekend!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Sep 05, 2022 4:51 pm 
Answers to all your questions are here, in this book by my good friend Nancy Pallister: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Trails-River-Mountains-Wyoming-dp-0985659092/dp/0985659092/ref=dp_ob_title_bk (2017 edition) Or, since you are evidently leaving before it will arrive, pick it up at the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale and find your answers while you are, hopefully, acclimatizing. The Great Outdoor Shop is also a good source, since they run a shuttle service, so have current info.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 8:26 am 
Yes ..the gear shop has great maps..large waterproof to give as gifts . Cool stickers..good sale prices on some gear.... And several good books .. The famous bookstore in ol Town . Bute Montana is really amazing allso for a stop!! It mostly irrelevant where ya go once your up high..we have a saying..IT ALL GOES IN THE WINDS!! For us it's 2n..camping in pinedale and totally flex.plans once your up high ....patience is key if you haven't been yet...

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 am 
Not sure if this is still in play but I would not pass up a chance to summit Fremont Peak.

Off trail rambler
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostSun Sep 25, 2022 12:34 pm 
Indeed! I was planning to head up from the saddle. But I decided to stay closer home. Ended up on a reverse lollipop in the GPW from Bald Eagle to Blue Lakes to PCT to Foam Creek to Glacier Peak Meadows to PCT up to Mica Lake and back out N Fork Sauk. Great trip but smoky the last couple of days. While I had been in the area several times, I had yet to visit the moraine or head up to Glacier Gap, which was so worth it!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 6:37 am 
Good to hear about your trip. Always good to have excellent Plan B's handy. Especially if they are so good they are more like an alternative Plan A. re Fremont. I walked in from Pinedale one year, was at the saddle. I looked up and decided I was in denial about an ankle sprain that wasn't fully healed. Retreated, went back the next year and had a fabulous hour on Fremont's summit. Crystal air, huge visibility.

Off trail rambler