Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fires ..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 6:22 pm 
Ya, that will be worth paying attention to. Unlike recent red flag warnings, this one actually has some wind, and thus actual threat, behind it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:29 pm 
We still have no wind, but the moon is brown tonight. waah.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
melc

melc
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 10:36 pm 
Now target shooting is included in the list of prohibited activities during stage 2 burn ban. Hunting is still allowed. But last weekend there was constantly groups target shooting in the national forest. Maybe people are just uninformed. It would be nice if rangers were able to patrol better.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 7:31 am 
Big expansion of the Parks fire in the north Pasayten. This is the one that has burned into Canada.
View larger size in new window

RichP
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 7:43 am 
The fires in the vicinity of Irving Peak sent copious amounts of smoke across the crest over the last few days despite the onshore flow. I was up at Thunder Mountain Lakes yesterday and the air was crystal clear but the White Pass area south of Glacier Peak was in the murk all day and Glacier Peak disappeared as the day wore on. The Monte Cristo area was not so good either. I would advise finding other destinations especially with the flow turning offshore this week.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

dixon
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 8:48 am 
Umm stupid question...ill search wta . Anybody been spider Meadows? Over the gap...

pula58

pula58
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 9:56 am 
In response to forest_gnome's question "Anybody been spider Meadows? Over the gap..." Not exactly The Spider meadow area, but my wife and I were at Buck Creek pass Sept 2-3. When we got there it was a little hazy, we could not smell smoke. Sometime in the middle of the night the winds shifted to NW (i.e., blowing from the NW headed SE) and blew the smoke from Suiattle road area fires right to us. We had to evacuate ASAP, the smoke was just too thick. See attached photo of morning with NW winds:

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 2:04 pm 
Between the crowds, the horrible bugs this year, the extreme heat and now the fires and smoke, I have had nearly zero motivation to hike.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Roly Poly
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 2:31 pm 
It’s easy to avoid the smoke, just be flexible with your plan. Bugs aren’t a problem now and the heat is pretty much over. So much doom and gloom, it’s been a pretty decent season for hiking and it’s not over.

Cyclopath, philfort, zimmertr
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 2:39 pm 
I am so glad that I did get out and hike! I spent a total of 18 days in the Pasayten during July and August and the first few days in September. At least I got to see Frosty Lake, Heather Lake and a little bit of The Parks, and return to Frosty Creek basin, one of my most favorite places, before it all went up in smoke. Still doing trips, like Lazyhiker said, be flexible with your plan. I can’t stress enough how important it is to check the smoke, wind and weather forecasts before heading out.

Cyclopath, zimmertr
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 pm 
Here's a view of the smoke from the Foss area at noon today. It looked to be mostly staying north of Hwy 2.

Cyclopath, mosey
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 7:48 pm 
Smoke very bad in the Methow tonight…..AQI of 500+ in most places on the valley floor from Mazama to below Twisp. Chelan drainage looks to be just as bad…. However, OK County sent an alert a couple hours ago that smoke should be scoured out of the valleys by mid- day Friday. https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0?select=10158#9.52/48.4669/-120.2108

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 11:56 pm 
We saw some smoke coming up over the ridge by Loch Katrine while driving back on FS 57 around 7pm tonight. Hopefully our eyes were just playing tricks on us.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 09, 2022 7:24 am 
I was out near the PCT around Stampede Pass yesterday and could see the smoke hovering toward the east. A bit of a shift in wind and it will be on us.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Sep 09, 2022 7:35 am 
I could see a thick layer of smoke encroaching down from mountains from the Anacortes Ferry Terminal this morning. Now I’m in Friday Harbor and the smoke looks to be creeping this way.