Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fires ..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 11:56 am 
HikingBex wrote:
Drove west on Hwy 20 from Winthrop today, a bit hazy but not too bad until West of the Easy Pass TH, then the smoke was terrible.
This is looking up the Hwy 20 valley (left of center) the previous day (10/5). There was a marine push/fog in the morning that did not clear the air. We were happy to get above the smoke (relatively speaking) on Trapper. It did not disperse over the course of the day, and as you show, did not relocate.
Not that it was all bad!

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

jaysway, Cyclopath, SpookyKite89, zimmertr, HikingBex
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dylpickle

dylpickle
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 8:50 pm 
Any thoughts on where the smoke is likely to not be this weekend? Looks like an easterly flow in most areas but I have not had good luck the last couple of weeks, even with looking at models. Perhaps poor self-forecasting dizzy.gif

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 8:03 am 
I'm no expert but here's my guess. Looks like East winds pick up this weekend, which will make the smoke situation even worse in the Puget Sound low lands. In general, going up helps. I would say the Olympics are a good bet to be smoke free but with East wind picking up, they may get some smoke as well. The coast probably has the cleanest air in the state. Rainier area seems to be doing ok. With East winds, may be able to find hikes East of the crest in the Cascades that are surprisingly smoke free. But anywhere you go, I would expect a bit of smoke. Looks like winds go on shore late Sunday, which should help cleaning out the air in the Puget Sound.

TravellerHiker

TravellerHiker
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 4:43 pm 
Seeing a new fire near on the Cal Topo site on the mountain north of Surprise lake on the Surprise and Glacier Lakes trail. Really hoping that it doesn't blow up and burn down the whole valley as that's one of my favorite hikes to go on.

fourteen410
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 4:52 pm 
Murphy Lake Fire PCT closure order: https://twitter.com/PCTAssociation/status/1580341498263916545 Wind out of the east gusting to 30mph this weekend. Not good!
View larger size in new window

Lindsay
Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 5:17 pm 
Murphy is one of my favorites. Sorry to see it torched.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
philfort

philfort
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 5:20 pm 
Oh no... I was hoping to head up that way soon. Suspicious spot for a fire, not really near any camping spots, and there hasn't been any lightning lately. edit: Oh, it looks like it's been burning for a while, I can see it on the sentinel-hub site on October 4 near the ridgetop. So maybe it was started by lightning.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 5:35 pm 
Sorry to see this. Apparently some fires are actually put out, too bad nothing was done about this one except a water drop by the helicopter working on the Bolt Creek Fire. Last week we found a recently extinguished fire at a campsite about 5 1/2 miles up the Deception Creek Trail, perhaps by smokejumpers.

Lindsay
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 5:41 pm 
Deer rifle season begins on Saturday. Camps are already set up. Campfires will be allowed on the Wenatchee/Okanogan National Forest in official campgrounds, otherwise they suggest using the propane campfires. There seemed to be a lot of travel trailers heading to the woods today, so things may be busy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 8:30 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Deer rifle season begins on Saturday. Camps are already set up. Campfires will be allowed on the Wenatchee/Okanogan National Forest in official campgrounds, otherwise they suggest using the propane campfires. There seemed to be a lot of travel trailers heading to the woods today, so things may be busy.
All the campgrounds on the Wenatchee Ranger District were closed when we drove by today and there’s still a burn ban. It’s really dry up the Chiwawa and around Lake Wenatchee

Runninghigh

Runninghigh
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:13 pm 
Someone I know just sent me this, anyone have anything more?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:29 pm 
Here is the official facebook release. Fire restrictions on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest have been reduced to Stage 1. This change allows forest users to resume having fires in developed campsites and to engage in recreational shooting on forest lands. Campfires are not allowed at dispersed sites under Stage 1 restrictions. Although we recognize that fire danger is moderating in some of the higher elevation areas, much of our forest is still in high fire danger conditions. With no rain forecast for the coming weeks, fire danger is actually expected to increase in some lower elevation areas. Don't let the cooler, shorter days lull you into taking unnecessary risks. Please adhere to current fire restrictions! We know that for many a campfire is an important part of camping, especially during fall hunting trips. There are many propane and gas alternative campfires available. These devices are allowed on the forest during fire restrictions. Details on current fire restrictions are available at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/alerts-notices/...

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 pm 
Runninghigh wrote:
Someone I know just sent me this, anyone have anything more?
We first saw smoke there on 9/8. I think that one has been smoldering/dormant ever since. Wouldn't surprise me if winds gave it new life.

Runninghigh

Runninghigh
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 6:12 am 
Thanks! Must have missed that originally when it started. Appreciate it!

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 8:03 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Here is the official facebook release. Fire restrictions on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest have been reduced to Stage 1. This change allows forest users to resume having fires in developed campsites and to engage in recreational shooting on forest lands. Campfires are not allowed at dispersed sites under Stage 1 restrictions. Although we recognize that fire danger is moderating in some of the higher elevation areas, much of our forest is still in high fire danger conditions. With no rain forecast for the coming weeks, fire danger is actually expected to increase in some lower elevation areas. Don't let the cooler, shorter days lull you into taking unnecessary risks. Please adhere to current fire restrictions! We know that for many a campfire is an important part of camping, especially during fall hunting trips. There are many propane and gas alternative campfires available. These devices are allowed on the forest during fire restrictions. Details on current fire restrictions are available at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/alerts-notices/...
All the developed campgrounds are closed only dispersed camping remains open, at least on the Wenatchee RD. Every campground between the end of the Chiwawa and Lake Wenatchee was closed, gated and or signs removed and toilets locked. That’s what I saw yesterday.