Forum Index > Gear Talk > Comparison of 2-person DCF monopole tents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aribix

aribix
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 12:04 am 
For the last couplefew years, the MLD Solomid XL in DCF has been my go-to tent (best one I’ve ever owned). But on a recent 2-week backpacking trip in Greenland, we were frequently socked in with bad weather, and I found myself wanting for a bit more living space. So I pulled together a comparison of all the two-person, monopole, DCF tents and inner nets I could find: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XSfkuzc6YnSs2pJ1ZtGQK4Ji-OcxuOn-nixplNc6UGM/edit?usp=sharing In building this list, I decided to stick with DCF mainly because of the weight advantages, and I focused on monopole mids because I like their simplicity and wind resistance. Based on this list, I’m looking at the MLD Duomid XL, Bonfus Middus 2P, Locus Gear Hapi DCF-B, Liteway Pyraomm Plus, or Bearpaw Wilderness Pyratent 2. Let me know if you’ve got experience with any of these, or if there are other options that I should add to the spreadsheet. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 7:02 am 
I have heard Wildernessed talk about his Tarp tent Double Rainbow Li so you might take a look at it. The advertised weight is a few ounces under 2 lbs. The disadvantages that are most obvious are that it is single wall so you would get condensation as with any single wall tent. Also, the dual side vestibule would make it harder to find pitch sites.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 10:27 am 
So I've used, made sil nylon tarps with no floor.. Tyvec floor?...the question is by the time you add tyvec or a car sunshade to the floor , and possibly a pole at 6oz? (I used my wood staff)...it all adds up to 24oz...even for the dynema fabric... So saving half a pound total over a real 2 lb tent with a floor is the net gain...yes?... Just have to go full on dynema tent for 600+