Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cricket/katydid/cicada/grasshopper/locust?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 3:23 pm 
My partner and I were up at Mt. Baker yesterday (Ptarmigan Ridge/The Portals) and there were thousands of these little brown cricket-looking insects on the trail (I'm an idiot, didn't take any pics). They were generally on the trail and would hop a short distance when encountered, and/or hop off into the grasses - and they made a loud clicking/snapping noise as they did so. It was almost deafening at times. I have encountered these things on countless hikes in late summer, and all over WA state, generally at higher elevations (?)...but I've never felt the need to identify them beyond some sort of cricket/locust/cicada insect. Curiosity finally got the better of me and I started googling last night, thinking that the answer would be fairly obvious and found in short order. However, I couldn't quite find the same sound or behaviorisms. The closest I could get was the "crackling forest grasshopper": https://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=IIORT36020 Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 3:44 pm 
The ones I hear in the high alpine, mostly remind me of a rattle snake rattling. Don't know what species of hopper it is

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message