Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hardy, Tower, Golden Horn - Sept 8-9, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RossJames

RossJames
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 10:55 pm 
Was gonna put this in the lazy thread but didn't see it. I guess I'll try and not be so lazy haha Started with Anthony and Atticus, 2 friends I met at my local boldering gym, at the Swamp Creek pullout just before 7am. The smoke was evident from the start, but not too overbearing. I roughly tried to stick to James Barlow's track which worked out pretty okay
Getting above the bushwack, the blood sun
Getting above the bushwack, the blood sun
A little higher
A little higher
Didn't take a photo around here but here's a video clip (if that even works)
Didn't take a photo around here but here's a video clip (if that even works)
I wore what I think was an N95/94 mask for nearly the whole climb to Hardy, it felt like it helped with the air I was breating. My two friends didn't seem bothered by the smoke.
On Hardy summit
On Hardy summit
The summit from a rock to the west
The summit from a rock to the west
Said rock from summit area
Said rock from summit area
Even with the limited visibility, being on top Hardy was a great start to the day. We all enjoyed the scrambling and the mood.
pretty new notebook
pretty new notebook
A couloir to SE of summit
A couloir to SE of summit
Anthony as we head ESE to Methow Pass
Anthony as we head ESE to Methow Pass
Looking back on Hardy near Methow Pass
Looking back on Hardy near Methow Pass
Next on agenda was to get to Snowy Lakes, set up camp, eat lunch, and then head to Tower in time to be on top before sunset.
At the PCT / Snowy Lakes junction
At the PCT / Snowy Lakes junction
Smoke felt like it was getting thicker through the afternoon
Smoke felt like it was getting thicker through the afternoon
Upper Snowy lake towards Tower
Upper Snowy lake towards Tower
Got to upper snowy lake at 3:15pm, set up our tents, had hot meals, recovered a bit, and headed out for Tower at 4:30pm. I hadn't previously hiked with everyone in the group, so wasn't sure exactly how my schedule for the day would turn out. We were leaving a little later than planned, but in good spirits and willing to work together.
A little more talus and large chossy stuff than I realized on the approach
A little more talus and large chossy stuff than I realized on the approach
Hardy on top, the chossy approach to Tower on below
Hardy on top, the chossy approach to Tower on below
I had been looking forward to Tower for some time. Spent an evening at the lakes with my dad two weeks ago just gazing up at it. Now, in this moment, I think my heart just really wanted to be there. I felt like I flew across that talus, full strides without a single rock breaking lose beneath my toes while singing songs the whole way.
Yes, we hoola-hooped in the cave
Yes, we hoola-hooped in the cave
And saw a vampire bat
And saw a vampire bat
The cave and friends
The cave and friends
Starting up the gully
Starting up the gully
Around this time I was noticing more blue sky up high
Around this time I was noticing more blue sky up high
"Only" once did someone in the group knock a rock loose, but that rock bounced and pounced and then flew like it was shot from a cannon down the gully. No one was in the way, but still scary stuff.
"Only" once did someone in the group knock a rock loose, but that rock bounced and pounced and then flew like it was shot from a cannon down the gully. No one was in the way, but still scary stuff.
Smoke still on the west but slightly breaking up high
On the summit at 7:00pm
On the summit at 7:00pm
The crew
The crew
We left the summit by 7:25pm
We left the summit by 7:25pm
back in the cave at 8:33pm
back in the cave at 8:33pm
Had a late dinner back at camp and basically agreed there wasn't much need to set alarms, and anyone could wake the others if it was after 8am lol None of us took the lazy morning for granted and got the best sleep we could. We were pleasantly surprised though that the sky had nearly all cleared of smoke. This trip was a first introduction to mountaineering for Atticus. Having just climbed Hardy and Tower in a single day, he was satisfied and decided to hang back at the lakes while Anthony and I went up to Golden Horn.
Anthony and Atticus
Anthony and Atticus
Old cat scat?
Old cat scat?
G Horn from southish
G Horn from southish
Scramble up the left to the final move on top
Scramble up the left to the final move on top
The view of the final move from that rock on left of last photo
The view of the final move from that rock on left of last photo
I was quite curious how this move I heard described as a "beached whale" would feel. I first attempted it in my trail boots and realized that I would feel much more comfortable if I could edge a toe of the right foot on a notch about 1/3 up the top block. I came back down and put on my climbing shoes. I got my toe on that notch and this time was able to get my left elbow and forearm on the top for what felt like a more secure mantle move. I am 5'9.5". Anthony then came up after me. I noticed that he worked his upper body farther to the right somehow and was up on top with ease. He is 5'11.5" or so.
Golden Horn summit to the W (or maybe SW)
Golden Horn summit to the W (or maybe SW)
Golden Horn summit to the NE
Golden Horn summit to the NE
I brought an 8mm static rope cut to 18 meters just for this, which ended up being enough to rappell off the summit down about 25 feet to the resting area below. If rappelling that is probably most ideal, however there was anther rap sling halfway down (yellow sling seen in 4th photo up) that one could use a shorter rope to get to. But if you are already down to that point you could likely just scramble down the rest. After rappelling off I realized that I didn't see a registry and thought that I might have missed it. I also wanted to test down climbing the top move, so I went up again. Honestly, I felt like down climbing that top block flowed a little better than climbing up. But maybe that's just me.
The 25'-30' section we rappelled
The 25'-30' section we rappelled
We started up to G Horn at 10:45, spent an hour and 40 minutes at the summit, and were back at the lake around 2:40. Then left at 4:20 after eating and packing up. The hike out did take us 4.5 hours. We were a group all coming from different hiking backgrounds so your mileage/time could vary.
G Horn from Methow Pass area
G Horn from Methow Pass area
Tower from Methow Pass area
Tower from Methow Pass area

Brushbuffalo, ~*CutebutChossy69*~, neek, GaliWalker, mosey, Bramble_Scramble, contour5, RichP, Now I Fly, Gimpilator, fourteen410, Tom, puzzlr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Sep 12, 2022 8:24 pm 
Looks like a great trip! I'm surprised how much the smoke cleared out overnight. Looking good out there!

RossJames
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Sep 13, 2022 3:53 pm 
RossJames wrote:
Woah, that's freaky; a flame in the sky! Some really nice pics. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

RossJames
RossJames

RossJames
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 11:12 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
RossJames wrote:
Woah, that's freaky; a flame in the sky! Some really nice pics. up.gif
It did come out looking like a flame in that photo a little more than another I took a few seconds later. i think thats why I liked this one better haha

mosey
RossJames

RossJames
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 11:16 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
I'm surprised how much the smoke cleared out overnight.
You n me both. I didnt even attempt to look at the sky at sunrise cuz I just assumed the smoke wasnt going anywhere