Forum Index > Trip Reports > ~*Epic on Jack Mountain 8/21-8/22*~
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 9:49 am 
~*Epic on Jack Mountain 8/21-8/22*~ Nastassia and I had hopes of doing a big Pasayten trip together this year so we could be Pa-saytan-ists together, and it hadn’t quite worked out just yet with weather, injuries/illnesses, and schedules. We had planned to do the Lago group together over 4 days but I messed up the dates and thought we were going the following weekend. Turns out our Pasayten date was for this weekend but I couldn’t start a trip this weekend until Sunday, and then they only had until Monday off of work… so we pivoted to the only other Pasayten trip I had left that seemed feasible to do in 2 days- Jack mountain. I had seen on a friend's Instagram story the weekend prior who went up crater mtn and they had an excellent shot of the S face of Jack that showed that enough snow had melted from the face. Gotta love the insta beta. Jack is the tallest of the Pasayten so it still felt like it would be a cool fun trip to do as our Pasayten trip, even tho it was a pivot from orig plans smile.gif I knew it was ambitious to plan on doing Jack in 2 days just given the rugged terrain and stats, but I also knew that we were both physically fit and up to give it a go. Major props btw to the peeps who have done Jack in a day- wow, just WOW- y’all have my serious amazement, and jealousy for not having to carry overnight gear lmao. Bob Bolton said we would have his “serious amazement” if we pulled it off in 2 days so we also had that as great motivation! The plan was to summit and go back to camp at Jerry lakes on day 1 bc on day 2 thunderstorms were possibly moving in in the afternoon and we wanted to be as low as poss before they hit. After the fact, I can confidently say that a 3 day trip would have been much more enjoyable. withstupid.gif Jack is the kind of mountain that gets reviews from experienced climbers like, “honestly truly gnarly,” “one burly mountain,” “definitely not for the faint of heart,” “a huge, difficult, & remote peak,” “a loose, exposed, dangerous beast,” and my review is inspired by the Guetta/Akon song, “I’m tryin to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful….” “Yes, I can see her 'Cause every girl in here wanna be her Oh, she's a diva I feel the same and I wanna meet her They say she low-down It's just a rumor and I don't believe 'em They say she needs to slow down The baddest thing around town” TLDR: Jack is certainly the baddest thing around town in the Pasayten! And that’s my review of Jack if this TR is too long and you don’t wanna read it lol. It lives up to the hype, and I did find the scramble to be fine, but tedious. Nastassia might give it a different kind of review tho! D1: Car-> Jack summit -> unplanned shiver bivy (but it was supposed to be back to camp at Jerry Lakes) Approach We left the car about 5a Sunday and headed for the Canyon Creek ford (the bridge is gone and there is no log crossing), it was still dark and it was a lil tricky fording by headlamp. We made the mistake of fording right where the trail spits you out, and we did make it across but we ended up on the portion of trail that is destroyed. This ate up a bunch of time (it was almost an hour from the time we left the car and the time we found the TH sign on the other side of the creek FFS breakdance.gif ) as we had to scramble up and traverse steep ass dirt and deadfall to try and meet up with the trail proper. My advice is to head upstream about 100 feet or so and cross up there. The water is a lil lower up there and you’ll end up on the correct side of the trail and you should see a big trail head sign with the trail in the trees after crossing. Right now the crossing is about knee deep or less where we crossed (I’m 5’4 for ref).
As we shlepped our sht up the steep trail and daylight dawned it was really muggy but socked in, and we were drenched in sweat. When we got to Crater Lake… errr pond/swamp/puddle we ran into two dudes who had camped there the night before. They asked where we were going and when we told them we were going to do Jack Mountain they kinda gave this blank stare and said “oh uhhh… that’s like a big mountain, like a serious mountain” then the other guy offered us their camp spot. “No thank you my dudes we literally cannot stay here we have to go to the summit today.” nono.gif
Crater puddle
Crater puddle
My phone kept playing music in my fanny pack and it kept playing the song "Btches" by Lil Debbie over and over again until I realized I had to put my phone in the fanny pack in a specific orientation to prevent the volume button shortcut keys from getting pressed. We had a good laugh about how I "kept hearing voices" but then would realize it was just my phone again. clown.gif The weather remained socked in until we made our way through part of the first traverse of the approach- the traverse from the crater mtn trail through terrain to get to the Jerry Glacier. The clouds started to ease up as we made our way, which I was thankful for bc it made route finding easier!
First views of Jack!
First views of Jack!
The Jerry Glacier looks like a v smol regular glacier up higher and rock glacier in some parts down lower. It appears to have receded so much that the part you traverse goes under the active glacier portion but does cross some of the rock glacier portion. Watch out for that damn scree/talus-covered glacial ice! You are welcome to make your own decisions about roping up, but we chose not to rope up as we were not crossing above or through what appeared to be active glacier. We crossed smaller snow patches and talus patches with the exception of a short bit through the rock glacier.
We went down the snow and under the glacier in this pic
We went down the snow and under the glacier in this pic
talus suave
talus suave
We had done what I am gonna call the Jerry traverse and we could see Jerry lakes and Jack mountain… wow Jack still looked so far away SHEESH. (Does anyone know who Jerry is btw???)
We descended to Jerry Lakes and found a great campsite in between the two lakes, closer to the east shore of the upper lake. Dropped camp, took a lil break ate some food and packed our day packs for Jack! We noticed that there are fish in Jerry lake- HOW?! Does anyone know? I do not understand how fish work. I was excited and nervous for our climb, since this mtn has a certain air of reverence, and for good reasons. I mean I knew it was serious, but I really knew it was serious when even The Alden Ryno didn’t want to repeat it and come with me ahaha. But a hummingbird came and whizzed around camp, which was a nice omen. We went up some scree and dirt and some heather ledges to gain the top of the ridge out of the Lakes, and then descended back down into the basin below Jack. Then you gotta go UP again but, it's only up from here to the summit! Lots of water sources in the basin.
so fcking alpine view from the ridge between Jack and Jerry Lakes, looking back at our approach to the lakes
so fcking alpine view from the ridge between Jack and Jerry Lakes, looking back at our approach to the lakes
Jack is burr-ly
Jack is burr-ly
We made it to the shoulder and looked out at our traverse and scramble ahead of us, massive!
Climb We traversed some deadpan dirt and scree to get to the snow patches on the south face of Jack. We decided to scramble as far as we could in the first big moat, but I don’t recommend it, it is just easier to traverse across the snow. We used crampons and ice ax bc a fall here would be not great. A fall anywhere on Jack’s south face would be not great, and that is an understatement. Navigating the exit from the snow onto the scramble was slightly tricky as there was some collapsed moat debris to scramble around and a skinny waterfall running down the face in that section.
The S face of Jack is incredibly loose, long (like 1400’ vert), steep, exposed… all the things. It is loose in the sense that the rock that appears attached is often loose AND there is a ton of loose rock/kitty litter/talus resting on top of that rock. I recommend being comfortable on loose and exposed scrambling before doing Jack in order to even possibly have some fun, otherwise, you might really really hate it and have a bad time. I also recommend having as small of a party as you are comfortable with, and I would absolutely hate to be on the S face with any other parties. As we made our way along the scramble we witnessed natural rockfall of large rocks whizzing down the mountain… Can’t imagine having to navigate party-induced rockfall on top of this. After getting out of the snow and ditching sharps we traversed leftward on some ledges and across a waterfall, until just before you hit the “lobster claw” cue bring in the dancing lobsters! Anyone else love Amanda Bynes as a kid???! Conditions likely vary depending on snow & melt year to year but we did not touch the lobster claw, we stopped before it, on our traverse across the ledge we saw the short slabby 4th class step up that leads to the “hidden 3rd class gully” described in some TRs. The move is probs 4th class but it is so short, it has good feet but not great hands IMO, I had to mantle kitty litter covered slabs (just move that kitty litter outta the way so you have good friction) to step up. Then you’ll see the 3rd class gully on the right, then go up it and generally trend in an upward direction until you get closer to the top of the ridge in which you’ll start trending climber’s right and upward to gain the ridge. It is kinda a choose your own adventure sort of deal gaining the ridge, you might run into cairns, you might not, depending on how you go up. I took us a little farther climber’s left on the way up a ways after the short “hidden 3rd class gully” and we got onto stiffer scrambling (4th), which I didn’t love but Nastassia did bc even tho it was slightly stiffer it wasn’t as loose! Eventually, we made our way up and ran into some cairns before the ridge.
Traversing the summit ridge is fun and exposed, the views are so awesome! We were happy to summit but knew we couldn’t stay long. We were racing sunset now. Geezus, car-to-Jack summit in the same day was low-key kinda brutal. The register looked p full, and someone had signed from a few days earlier. Would be nice if you are planning on going up if you bring a small write in the rain and take the register to the mounties for archive. The pencil is in great condi tho!
name a more iconic duo... I'll wait
name a more iconic duo... I'll wait
"Hey Rikki what do u think of Jack mtn?"
"Hey Rikki what do u think of Jack mtn?"
fantastic views
fantastic views
Descent We descended a slightly easier way (IMO) than we ascended (avoiding the stiffer 4th class section we orig went up) but it was slabbier and looser. There are some cairns on the route and we followed them down and found the top of the “hidden 3rd class gully.” We descended the way we came after this, and we did not feel the need to rap although we did bring a 30m rope. Thanks Nastassia for carrying it!!! The rap station is not directly above the hidden 3rd class gully like I had orig thought, it is actually skiers leftward of that area, but I did not get eyes on it. I have a hard time believing anything on Jack is solid enough to rap off of but ??? Parties have said the rap goes with a 30m, but I did see one TR where a party thought 30m was a lil short.
descending
descending
We made it to our crampon ice ax stash in the moat as the sun was setting, and quickly donned the pons and started the snow traverse. Nastassia lead this section as choss/dirt is my specialty and snow is theirs. A compatible climbing partnership! It was getting dim but the snow glowed white even in the dusk. The sunset was beautiful, even if a little overshadowed by the stress of being on the S face still at this time of day… how many people can (or perhaps even want to) say they’ve seen sunset from this vantage?!
racing sunset...gulp
racing sunset...gulp
Where things start rly goin awry... We made it to a small talus/scree patch in the snow and turned on our headlamps as it was dark dark now. My headlamp was frighteningly dim and I had forgotten to put new batteries in my first aid kit (that was a big mistake and takeaway for me from this trip), but Nastassia’s was bright! But suddenly as they were face in down climbing to get down to our original snow steps from earlier in the day, their headlamp went tumbling down, my heart stopped and I gasped and expletives were definitely shouted, but THANK THE GODDESSES the headlamp landed in the talus 15 feet down instead of whizzing down the steep snow and off the mountain. I retrieved it and climbed up to give it back to them to attach more securely on their helmet. Then we traversed the snow as far as it went, and took off the pons at the start of the steep scree/deadpan section. Dirtmaster (me) went back in front and kicked dirt steps to return the favor of Nastassia kicking snow steps. I couldn’t see well leading out with my sht headlamp, so we “pitched” it out in small sections, I had Nastassia stop to shine their headlamp forward and I went as far as the light went, then I would pause and wait for them to catch up to me and then we repeated a few times. I slipped on some deadpan/scree and scraped the hell out of my thigh and scared the sht out of myself and Nastassia. Thankfully I did not slide down far, I dug my fingernails into the dirt as hard as I could, bc even though it was dark and I couldn’t see the runout I knew from earlier that it was bad bad. Things were def going sideways at this point and stress and fatigue was catching up to us… at this point I was intent on making it through all the dirt to get to the shoulder bc I really wanted to be done with it but Nastassia smartly suggested that we bivy in the next (and final) snow patch moat. The decision When they suggested this it didn’t cross my mind to protest at all, I was immediately in agreeance. We sat down once in the moat, and let our heart rates decrease a bit after the sketchy things that had just happened. Going from car to summit was nearly 10k of gain and 15 miles of mostly rugged terrain and I was def fatigued. I was relieved and thought to myself, “okay we are safe now, and we are capable of surviving the night in this moat even if not ideal, we are extremely lucky the temps are not too low.” We took a moment to be in awe of the stars and milky way before us, a truly amazing view. I have had 2 “emergency” overnight bivys in my life, one unplanned (on the tooth of all things, don’t laugh), and one planned as a mock emergency bivy in the dead of winter as a part of a mounties course I took several years ago. I think that experience really helped prepare me mentally for a real life emergency bivy. I knew exactly what to do. I quickly put on my leggings, put my shorts on over them and tied my houdini around my waist. Female bodied peeps tend to need more warmth in their hip area and knowing this is why I put the houdini around my waist & shorts back on over the leggings. Rainjacket skirt! Nastassia also wore a rainjacket skirt but didn’t have pants to change into :/ We put on our puffies, and I gave Nastassia my headband for head warmth since their puffy didn’t have a hood. We were nearly out of water and I was very thirsty, I really should have gotten water at the waterfall we crossed but time felt scarce and that was back when I really thought we could make it to the shoulder that had a water trickle. Nastassia shared the last of their few ounces of water left with me <3 I scraped snow from the moat into a nalgene and vigorously shook it to try and make it melt faster, and the movement helped warm me up a bit too. I suckled on the slushy concoction and then refilled the bottle with snow to leave it out overnight with the lid off to melt so we could have some water for later. We had a fun moment and remembered that Nastassia had brought tea light candles so we decided to try and make the best of our sitch and have the coolest bivy ever lit by tea lights! We took a moment to high-five each other and thank each other for the teamwork we both put in to keep us safe.
approx 2 lumens
approx 2 lumens
I took off my shoes and put my feet in my balaclava, and I used my backpack as a sleeping pad under my torso, & used my foodbag as a pillow. Nastassia used the rope as a sleeping pad to insulate against the rocks. The ground in the moat was not level or flat, it was downsloping into the moat which sucked for trying to find a comfortable position to fit the both of us without us both going tumbling down, and the ground was comprised solely of jagged rocks. We tried out 4 positions throughout the night, ending up with the one where I spooned a bulge in the moat with Nastassia’s backpack between me and the moat for insulation, and Nastassia as the big spoon, with the emergency blanket wrapped around both of us and tucked strategically to try and keep the breeze out. It felt warm enough for me as long as the breeze wasn’t coming in, but Nastassia was shivering some of the time and I was really worried about them. I put my legs in between theirs to try and help keep their legs warmer. I don’t think I really slept at all with the exception of a few times where I drifted off momentarily and went into a hazy dream state and had dreams of me standing on precarious loose ledges and falling off… UGH I’ve had this happen a few times before when doing exposed stuff, having weird dreams later at night and then bolting awake.
we get to spoon all night!
we get to spoon all night!
Please feel free to share your unplanned bivy stories and suggestions in the comments! I’d be curious to hear what other’s strategies have been in these types of situations. Not in a “glamorizing the emergency bivy” kind of way, but the “here’s what we did that worked for us & the lessons I learned” kind of way. D2: Shiver bivy-> Car Nastassia said they maybe slept a few hours. I was exhausted and ready for daylight, we were both v stoked when the sunrise came!!! WE DID IT! blowout.gif
In the morning I realized I slept on my phone and the camera stopped working frown.gif, and I slept on my inReach and I cracked the screen ://// I didn’t even know that was possible, I thought that thing was about as indestructible as a Nokia brick phone! Dammit. Maybe a good excuse to get the mini… We packed up, drank our overnight melt water and were on our way, we said goodbye to the moat home, and traversed the remaining deadpan dirt and scree to get to the shoulder and descend down into the basin. We got water in the basin and I was SO relieved to drink from that stream, wow. The mossies were terrible here but I didn’t even really care about bugs at this point. Going up the hill to gain the ridge above Jerry lakes felt hard on practically no sleep and major fatigue, but the motivation of getting to “camp” and taking a nap was strong. At camp I waded in Jerry lakes, made the dinner I had brought, and then passed the f out for about 2 hours- in that order. While packing up to go back to the cars, I got stung by a dang bee on my thigh right next to my scree rash :/ Poor bee is gonna die and I had to suffer this final straw inconvenience haha ridic. But Nastassia did say that they saw a hummingbird fly over my stuff when I was away going to the bathroom for a moment, aw thx lil hummingbird for visiting again. As we were hiking out back to the cars we saw huge thunderheads forming in the valley next to us… ahhhh now it felt like we were racing time again. As we crossed under the Jerry glacier we heard thunder… But we did make it back down to the cars uneventfully (YAY) although it was very hot and it felt kinda rough. We listened to my “runz” playlist with my bluetooth headphones, one for each of us, and it helped morale for the final few thousand foot descent to the creek. The canyon creek crossing was much easier in the daylight, and Nastassia had to cross it 3 times bc they had to get to the other side, then re cross where we did in the am, scramble up dirt to their flip flops they stashed, and then cross back lol but they said it was very refreshing! Final thoughts & stats Many lessons were learned and we chatted extensively throughout the night and into the second day about them. Summit fever has real consequences, sometimes the consequence is a moat bivy, but sometimes it’s worse. It is important to re-calibrate decision making after a trip like this. I will be getting a new headlamp and ALWAYS carrying batteries, and I might start carrying 2 emergency blankets instead of 1 since in both times I’ve had to bivy the other person didn’t have one. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be comfortable on loose & exposed scrambling before doing Jack, we slowed down significantly on the scramble ascent and descent and it rly bit us in the ass. It is important to have a plan for when things go sideways, sometimes it’s bc you make poor choices, but sometimes the mtns just really do not care about you and things happen, best to be prepared either way. It was certainly not ideal and we were v lucky that nothing worse happened,but how many people have gotten to watch sunset and sunrise AND see the milky way from that vantage on Jack?! Gotta always find the bright side cool.gif We tried the newer restaurant (Upriver Grill & Restaurant) in Marblemount and it was fantastic, I highly recommend their salmon entree wow fancy pancy, I gawked at the server when she brought out this beautifully plated pile of food to me “THIS IS SO FANCY OMG WOW” & the salmon was cooked to perfection- CHEFS KISS. 80/100 According to the watch: 29 miles 11,850 ft gain

Choss is a girl's best friend

Eric Gilbertson, lopper, furthur, Pef, Foist, Gimpilator, contour5, ozzy, ejain, Slim, Now I Fly, Tom, raising3hikers, Nancyann, Silas, Chief Joseph, wallorcrawl, zimmertr, Char May, neek  rstoddard24, GaliWalker, gumby  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:51 am 
Getting to the top of Jack and back to camp in a day is quite an ambitious plan! I've been stuck out before without a headlamp, but found the phone flashlight to work almost as well.

~*CutebutChossy69*~, rstoddard24, dave allyn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 11:30 am 
Wow! Some adventure.
~*CutebutChossy69*~ wrote:
I slipped on some deadpan/scree and scraped the hell out of my thigh
The rock in that area is so abrasive. I once barely put a hand down on some scree above Jerry Lakes and it peeled away a long strip of skin.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 12:32 pm 
Wowza! That is quite a story, thanks. I've looked at Jack from the trail and what you did in a day is pretty impressive. +1 on take the emergency blankets. Years back I did gear review testing on them (sleeping bag version) for a national magazine. Bottom line was that with temps in the mid 40's I could get 4 hours sleep before I woke. That with clothing I'd expect to have in a day pack (pile sweater, balaclava, bottoms) and a makeshift bed on my pack. I thought that 4 hours sleep was a bargain for carrying something about the size of a fist and weighing a few ounces.

Off trail rambler

~*CutebutChossy69*~
gb

gb
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 3:26 pm 
I've tried Jack twice, once with a friend who really didn't want to climb; and a second time when we camped at Crater Lake only to awaken to a sea of fog. But, by what must have been 8 or so the next morning, the sun was over the top of the fog and so we went for it. At the base of the south face we started climbing and the climbing was schwank - I've only climbed crap that bad two other times - Magog leading a 13 year old (friend's son) on a new route necessitated by glacier retreat, and a shwcramble of Larrabee. It was a bit of rock topped by angle of repose crap at too high of an angle. The "climbing" was slow and tedious. At 1 or so and still maybe 1000' below the summit, we reconsidered. Do we want to climb this pile of junk and risk a bivy, or do we want to sleep comfortably back in our tents. Comfort won. I've not been back. A fellow I ran into there said that the SE ledges are "not that bad". I know Skoog's route on the SE ridge had both good and bad rock to about 5.5 (personal communication).

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 3:39 pm 
80/100 is getting there! Nicely done.

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 4:06 pm 
Congratulations on summiting Jack, it took a lot of perseverance, energy and skill. I found your unplanned bivy very interesting since I was in a similar situation a few years ago, although not on Jack, thank goodness. I think it was crucial that when things started going south you both agreed to stop and find a safe place to spend the night, especially since you were having the headlamp cluster f and you had a scary slide as well. During my emergency bivy I also used my emergency blanket as a skirt as soon as I noticed a chill from the waist down. I had all the ten essentials (except for my map lol) and used every one of them. We just got back from a seven day trip where a couple of things went wrong (on the first night!), but we had what was needed to continue: Extra headlamp batteries (mine died the first night) Lightweight solar lantern (great for using while replacing dead headlamp batteries) Closed cell flexible ultra-lightweight paper thin insulating pad, mine was full length. My Big Agnes air mattress aka The Red Devil, went completely flat in the middle of the Night One and the pad kept the cold from transferring up from the ground. (Thankfully we dipped it in the Pasayten Airstrip water trough the next day and repaired the leak.) Duct Tape! My trekking pole wore out and we were able to keep it from sliding up and down with tape. I’m glad things worked out for you and you two were able to get down off the mountain the next day and have a great story to tell afterwards!

~*CutebutChossy69*~
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 7:52 pm 
We noticed that there are fish in Jerry lake- HOW?! Does anyone know? I do not understand how fish work.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/locations/high-lakes/jerry-no.-1#trout-plants See the section on fish stocking

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 7:56 am 
SeanSullivan86 wrote:
We noticed that there are fish in Jerry lake- HOW?! Does anyone know? I do not understand how fish work.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/locations/high-lakes/jerry-no.-1#trout-plants See the section on fish stocking
More specifically - these guys put them there. Great TR BTW. Always enjoy your prose and pics. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

~*CutebutChossy69*~
geyer

geyer
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 8:05 am 
Does anyone know who Jerry is btw???
I am Jerry YOU are Jerry WE ARE ALL JERRY (but seriously, good work and and teamwork on that beast)

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 2:42 pm 
geyer wrote:
I am Jerry YOU are Jerry WE ARE ALL JERRY
haha omg it's true! we all have an inner Jerry hihi.gif

Choss is a girl's best friend
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 5:23 pm 
Ho Lee Chit!! rocker.gif What a badass trip! Good on y'all for keeping your composure up there, gotta love the old unplanned bivy. Been in that situation myself a few times. breakdance.gif Dammit y'all have me thinking I should do this as a 3 day trip now, seems a bit sloggy! Animals you are! Cheers and thanks for the intel.

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Paulie59

Paulie59
PostFri Aug 26, 2022 7:22 am 
Nice report! Also, quite the text on the shorts.. loggermoon.gif

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 29, 2022 11:30 am 
now this is a memorable trip!

Art is an adventure.

~*CutebutChossy69*~
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 29, 2022 1:44 pm 
Wow quite an effort and report. I am far too much of a wuss to climb Jack, but had a question because I've been to Crater Mtn and pondered an overnight to Jerry Lakes. Is it necessary to traverse the glacier to get to the lakes? I thought it wasn't, but your report seems to imply that it is. I thought one could go below the glacier (past the outlet of the un-mapped former glacier lake). Were you just taking a short cut because you were geared up for a badass climb anyway?

~*CutebutChossy69*~