Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little and Big Greider Lakes - 10.30.22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 8:51 pm 
We were looking for a shake down hike to transition from summer hiking to winter hiking and we found it! My hiking partner and I enjoyed a fabulous day in the rain exploring this lovely trail. Arriving shortly before 9am, we saw one other car in the parking lot. We donned our rain gear under the cover of the rear hatch and started off down the decommissioned road. This section makes great, flat walking (besides the stream crossings) and is peppered with interesting turnarounds/landmarks for exploring with kiddos. We arrived at Reflection Pond around 10am and stopped for a snack break. Then it was up the switchbacks to Little Greider Lake. After exploring the empty campsites we soldiered on to Big Greider Lake where we switched to dry layers and ate lunch. We were back down to the truck by 4pm and enjoyed the heated seats all the way to Monroe before stopping at El Paraiso.
Spada reservoir from the boat launch at the Greider Lake TH.
Looking west from the boat launch.
A new bridge in the making! There were several super sacks with stone and a few plastic (?) structure pieces.
Spada reservoir from the Bear Creek Overlook.
A delightful trailside waterfall.
Reflection Pond.
Bridge on the isthmus at Reflection Pond.
A cool drop of water captured in a spider web.
A campsite with a tent platform at Little Greider Lake.
Another campsite.
How did they get this in here??
Big Greider Lake outlet.
Big Greider Lake. Beautiful! I had no idea it would be so pretty. We will be back. smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

ALW Hiker, brewermd, Nancyann, mosey, Bramble_Scramble
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 10:23 pm 
We go there often because it’s in my “backyard” and the fall colors are particularly nice around the end of September. smile.gif

jaysway, KascadeFlat
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 11:04 am 
Thank you Nancyann! This trail is in my backyard too but I’ve always overlooked it for shinier objectives - my mistake! I will plan to visit next fall for sure. 😄

RichP
jbaillie

jbaillie
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 11:56 am 
How far can one drive along Spada Reservoir?

Jerry
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 12:16 pm 
KascadeFlat wrote:
I’ve always overlooked it for shinier objectives - my mistake! I will plan to visit next fall
I'll add this is one shiny place in the Spring as well. Both lakes are under 3,000' so they melt out pretty soon and it's often accessible in early May.

Flickr | Strava

jaysway
mosey

mosey
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 12:30 pm 
As a bonus there are a bunch of seasonal waterfalls along the drive in, too.

Dusty Trale

Dusty Trale
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 1:57 pm 
You asked about the sanican toilet. The DNR flies them in and out via helicopter. They also do the same for the ones at Ashland Lakes off the MLH. One time when they were flying one out of Ashland Lakes, one of them got dropped when the cable broke. So some where north of Mt. Pilchuck is a smashed up sanican out in the forest.

RichP, mosey, Nancyann
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 1:59 pm 
I also saw one near the Cutthroat Lakes a couple years ago. It was the stinkiest toilet I've ever came across in my life.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 2:13 pm 
jbaillie, you can drive as far as the South Shore boat launch and that is where the trailhead for Greider Lakes is. KascadeFlat, those big bags dropped off at the creek have been sitting there for quite a few months and it will be interesting to see how long it is going to be before they actually build the bridge. I talked to a manager for the Morningstar RA a couple of years ago while hiking up there and he said he likes to spread the work out over a few years for his employee’s sake, which I found quite interesting. huh.gif Mosey, I also like to go up there as soon as they open the gate at Olney Pass in the spring, but after that I avoid the weekends as it has become very popular and not a exactly a well-kept secret anymore. lol.gif I would like to add that Dusty Trale helped build the Greider Lakes trail. (Just a few years ago. smile.gif )

KascadeFlat
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 5:57 pm 
Dusty Trale wrote:
So some where north of Mt. Pilchuck is a smashed up sanican out in the forest.
Time to go treasure hunting! 🤣

Chief Joseph
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 10:47 pm 
I was with a group that went there today. We got to a spot about 300 vertical feet below the lower lake where it seemed to me that if you slipped, it would be a fatal fall. I turned around at that point but the group went on. I don’t like turning around but I really would not have enjoyed the hike if I’d carried on knowing I’d have to cross this cliff spot. I’m honestly surprised that people take kids, dogs, backpacking gear up there. To me it seemed that a fall would be fatal.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 2:30 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
I was with a group that went there today. We got to a spot about 300 vertical feet below the lower lake where it seemed to me that if you slipped, it would be a fatal fall. I turned around at that point but the group went on. I don’t like turning around but I really would not have enjoyed the hike if I’d carried on knowing I’d have to cross this cliff spot. I’m honestly surprised that people take kids, dogs, backpacking gear up there. To me it seemed that a fall would be fatal.
If it helps you feel better about turning around - I remember that exact spot. There were two sections I thought were consequential. One where the trail forces you to the left or right over a rock and the bottom section looks “better” (as in slightly wider but also precariously on the edge). I made a mental note to take the high side away from the edge of the trail up and down. The other area I didn’t like was the section where the tree had peeled off the side of the mountain leaving only the rock. paranoid.gif Looking at my map I think this might be close to where you turned around.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 5:43 am 
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, it was the section with the rock, not the tree. The tree seemed fine. But the rock really was scary. I guess I’ll never go to Greider lakes!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 7:39 am 
Gotta love that trail. Makes you feel like you're oin a stair stepper. LOL.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

KascadeFlat