Forum Index > Trail Talk > I smell smoke
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 10:33 am 
going to be all bye-bye for smoke in a few hours. https://wsdot.com/travel/real-time/cameras/road/101/Aberdeen/Forks

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 10:44 am 
It is raining lightly here in the Okanogan Valley.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 11:57 am 
I hear people complaining about the present, but when asked the last time the smoke was really bad, they can’t recall. It’s been 10 years since we had smoke this bad in the Wenatchee Valley and it was much worse. We get a little smoke every fire season but it’s not terrible and it’s transient. People like to bitch about the smoke and forest closures due to fires. It’s affluenza, we’ve still got it good here.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 11:58 am 
Smoke in Troutdale disappeared overnight--AQI was an amazing 16 this morning! It started raining about 10:30 am. So far it's a light rain, which hopefully will soften up the ground surface and soak in. I hope that all of you are also smoke free by now!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

runup, philfort
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 12:21 pm 
Much better here in Woodinville, and ... it's still raining! With more to come! ♫♫ Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain ♫♫ (at least till the forests are wet and the smoke's all gone, then I want sunshine!)

rossb, IanB  Chief Joseph
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 12:28 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
It’s affluenza
Not wanting lung cancer is only for affluent people? Don't be crazy pants.

zimmertr, joker, SpookyKite89
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 12:46 pm 
I feel like I just gave up smoking. Now to go exercise again.

gb, rossb, RumiDude
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 1:02 pm 
I smell smoke, but only because I fired up the wood stove in here for the first time this year, a balmy 70 degrees and the cat is loving it! Wood shed is also full, took advantage of the USFS free wood cutting permits and picked up a cord up off Mallardy and some off Coal lake road. My well is still dry though, it hasn't rained much yet.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 1:11 pm 
Be careful driving out there today. First rain in a long time combined with build up of oil on roadways makes for super slick conditions.

Chief Joseph, rossb, Pyrites, Cyclopath, joker
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 1:29 pm 
Tom wrote:
Be careful driving out there today. First rain in a long time combined with build up of oil on roadways makes for super slick conditions.
Yeah a friend was unexpectedly caught in a rain squall out near North Bend late yesterday while on his motorcycle. He said it felt pretty dodgy on i90. And yeah it feels great to have windows open. The only time I've experienced air as bad (and at times significantly worse) was in Beijing in around 2014 or thereabouts. I had a meeting with one colleague who spent about half the meeting talking about how down folk living there were about the air and how he and his family were going to take a train to the south that coming weekend for a "clean air vacation." Maybe folks out in Wenatchee have iron lungs or just are more used to this crap but I know I'll be remembering this (and the last time it got FAIRLY bad but not THIS bad was in September 2020, though it was way worse down in Portland and thereabouts). Here's hoping the rain manages to make its way south too, so OR and CA also get some relief. CA in particular still seems quite well set up for some new wildfires as of today. Unfortunately the La Nina predictions suggest that may not be happening soon...

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 2:06 pm 
Anyone else wonder if there’s a group of scientists out grabbing stormwater first discharge samples to look quantities of 6ppd-quinone in salmon bearing streams?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 2:08 pm 
Quote:
I know I'll be remembering this (and the last time it got FAIRLY bad but not THIS bad was in September 2020,
September 2020 was worse. It was rated "hazardous" in the whole state then plus it was hot so it really sucked for those of us in homes without a/c or filtration. We were just stuck in the hot airless indoors with windows closed and a dog that didn't understand why walks weren't happening. The Mariners were supposed to play the Giants at home and the MLB moved the series to SF due to the hazardous air. This week in my part of the city at least we had unhealthy to very unhealthy air quality but not hazardous. (I know it was worse for people on the Eastside.) I was trying to remember how long that lasted--we missed the beginning because we were backpacking in the Wallowas (then had an apocalyptic drive back). I found this recap. https://ecology.wa.gov/Blog/Posts/September-2020/A-smoky-siege As bad as these smoke events were, they could not compare to September 2020. Ecology scientist Dr. Beth Friedman looked at historical records going back to when the agency began tracking PM2.5 levels in the early 2000s. She found that more Washington cities were exposed to hazardous air quality — the highest category for air pollution — for longer than any previous smoke event. “This smoke event marks the most days statewide PM2.5 monitoring sites have recorded hazardous air quality going back to 2000, and the majority of the state experienced at least five consecutive days of very unhealthy or hazardous air quality,” Friedman said. Sept 2020:
That smoke event plus the 2021 heat wave inspired us to get a heat pump. It still sucks to be indoors with no windows open but at least we have cooling and air flow.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 2:10 pm 
^ meh... won't matter if they do or don't. they'll never get that chemical out of every tire in the world, and the reason the snow crab population dropped so precipitously this last season is because water temperatures in the North Pacific are now too warm to sustain some marine life (like snow crabs.) the salmon will be the next victims. they require cold water. so do whales.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 2:21 pm 
For the Portland area, this spell wasn't nearly as bad as the aftermath of the Labor Day 2020 fires. We were at an AQI of 500 or more for over a week. It wasn't as hot, though, because the smoke was so thick it blocked the sun. On the other hand, hazardous is hazardous, even though some hazards are bigger.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 3:10 pm 
Snowing up at Washington Pass and even sticking to the trees a bit!

gb, kiliki, rossb, Cyclopath, brewermd  zimmertr  Ski