Forum Index > Trail Talk > Can't buy me rain - record dry September?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 10:36 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Anecdotal evidence is worthless.
Hogwash. The mind is an archive too, filled and maintained by the senses. I've been in the same place, Western Washington, virtually all my life with my eyes open. It's common and normal to have a cold wet front move through in July. It's common and normal to have a wet front move through in August. "It always rains the week of the fair." And it's common and normal to have a cold, wet front in September or early October, with lowering snow levels putting the first white on the peaks. Not all of these things happen every year, but, for the first time in my living memory none of them have happened this year. Looking out my window, for the first time in my life everything is parched, wilted, drooping: Salmon berry, hucklebrush, blackberry, service berry, vine maple, the entire understory is on its last gasp and much has died off already. A lot of the cedars gave it up in the last dry summer; we'll see how many of the remaining large evergreens survive this one. This is all 'anecdotal'; it is also unique and very real.

IanB, ChinookPass, Cyclopath, fourteen410, hikerbiker, Nancyann
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 6:40 am 
gb wrote:
Mr. Muss cherry picks and ignores the fact that it is not just October that is dry. What does the dude say about the amount of rain since June 21st. How does that look?
At SeaTac, Mr. Muss shows that this year, from June 21 to September 21 was the driest in a record doing back to the late 1940s (.50 inches). However, 2017 was right behind (.52 inches).
In Kent, which has records to 1912, 2022 was the driest summer on record but some came close in the 1925-1945 period. The trend shows a slight decline (maybe a half-inch) over 110 years.
Question: What is Mr. Muss using to produce these charts? It appears to be from NOAA, which is the most confusing website in the history of mankind, and I can't seem to recreate the charts that Mr. Muss has done. I want to expand the chart at Kent (or SeaTac) from June 21 into October to see just how far of a departure this summer is from norm. Does anyone know how to do this, or what website Mr. Muss is using? Here's a pop quiz for your anecdotal mind. Are we above or below precipitation for the year starting on January 1?

gb

gb
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 7:19 am 
altasnob wrote:
gb wrote:
Mr. Muss cherry picks and ignores the fact that it is not just October that is dry. What does the dude say about the amount of rain since June 21st. How does that look?
At SeaTac, Mr. Muss shows that this year, from June 21 to September 21 was the driest in a record doing back to the late 1940s (.50 inches). However, 2017 was right behind (.52 inches). In Kent, which has records to 1912, 2022 was the driest summer on record but some came close in the 1925-1945 period. The trend shows a slight decline (maybe a half-inch) over 110 years. Question: What is Mr. Muss using to produce these charts? It appears to be from NOAA, which is the most confusing website in the history of mankind, and I can't seem to recreate the charts that Mr. Muss has done. Here's a pop quiz for your anecdotal mind. Are we above or below precipitation for the year starting on January 1?
Well, good that Muss didn't hide certain records to make his pre-determined point. I already knew that this summer was the driest on record because the NWS had made that announcement including in the daily Wx Discussions some time ago. But now we are adding another dry to very dry month on top of that record, which has to be another record. The prospect for rain in most locations Monday-Tuesday is not that impressive because the next system (I use next loosely) tracks along the spine of the Coast Ranges too far inland to pick up much Pacific moisture. Everett-Seattle could get a convergence zone, though, which could help for awhile with the Bolt Fire. What happens beyond this cool, but otherwise unimportant system, does not look good, however, looking at the GFS, which has long forecasting model runs available and has been the most pessimistic and accurate model most of this summer. Once again the GFS favors essentially an Omega block high along the West Coast post the system. That is hard to break down. The ECMWF and NAM seem to been more accurate at predicting precipitation in much shorter duration forecasts. But the GFS' pessimism has consistently won out longer term. Rainfall since January 1st at this point is meaningless except as a curiosity because what we would all like to see is the end to this extremely dry period, and also, of course, of the smoke. Huckleberry vegetation even in the Olympic Mountains is incredibly crispy, something I might expect some years on Rock Mountain, but not in our typically or historically moist westside mountains. Weather data through the NWS Seattle Climate Portal https://w1.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=sew is easy to access for a good number of localities in Washington although I am not sure how far back the data is available without a special link (I've not tried). You can get daily reports, monthly summaries, and annual summaries of the ins and outs of weather for past years. I did read yesterday A National Geographic article about the SW drought https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/the-drought-in-the-western-us-could-last-until-2030 which is the most dry in the last 1200 years (2020 paper) with comments by climate scientists regarding those events, and with model runs indicating the likelihood that the California drought is probable to extend through 2023 or even 2030. The climate scientists concluded that California is probably now in "perpetual drought interrupted only irregularly by wet years." One summarized this as a trend to an arid climate far earlier than forecast in GCMs. There is a tie to our dry summer(s) in that the origin of the extreme high pressure systems is typically from the SW region. Sometimes those Highs this summer have extended all the way to the Yukon. The article (and another) also mentioned the third La Nina in a row, an extreme rarity, which for us could mean a moist winter, but for California is statistically not a good thing.

Anne Elk, Carbonj  SpookyKite89
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 10:46 am 
From the NWS Seattle Discussion this morning:
Quote:
It's still early in the month and things change quickly in October but right now the pattern is looking similar to the first half of October 1987, which turned into the driest October on record in Seattle.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 10:50 am 
altasnob wrote:
According to everyone's favorite meteorologist Cliff Mass, Seattle has registered no rain for the first half of October nine times between 1945 and 2021, with all of those dry spells occurring before 1990
If a dry October was the only unusual thing about this year, that would be a good point.

gb, Anne Elk
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:29 pm 
Another relevant anecdotal factoid: Each year our state and federal permits for in-water work for repair of armored bank - in years that we have them - carry an approximate mid-October expiration date because by that date water levels will have risen enough to permit unobstructed upstream travel for fish seeking to spawn. Those dates, set in advance, have tended to reflect stream flows pretty accurately. We'll soon see how that plays out in 2022.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:31 pm 
Not rain, but fog. Yesterday at Lacey was the first of what I’ve always called late September Puget Sound fogs. Today was the first morning with a real drip coming of my Doug fir from fog.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:42 pm 
The reoccurring Mr Muss joke is so fun fun

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 4:49 pm 
No significant rain until at least the 15th according to all models. Thats pretty crazy.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 11:20 pm 
I just saw this thread today. If I'm understanding this discussion correctly, people are trying to suss out whether our weather pattern in recent years (especially this year) is substantially different enough to be a climate change effect or just part of the normal statistical variation.
altasnob wrote:
From my understanding reading Cliff Mass, it actually isn't raining much less in Seattle in the summer, or annually. Maybe a very slight downward trend with a very slight upward trend in average temperatures. It's also my understanding that Seattle has always been remarkably dry from mid-July to mid September. So even if we are, say 50% drier in August one year than average, that has very little effect on our total water year because we never get much rain during this period.
"Total water year" isn't a useful metric for gauging the cumulative impact of the overall weather pattern changes on the PNW ecosystem. As member gb commented upthread,
Quote:
It isn't the total amount of rain that has changed significantly, it is how we get it.
Cliff Mass's analyses of local weather patterns vis a vis rainfall and climate change frustrate me no end - not because I think he's wrong, but that his focus is too narrow, at least insofar as the impacts already happening relative to "how we get it". That's why, in previous discussions on this topic, I've harped on the Palmer Drought Index as a more useful gauge of climate change effects. To my knowledge, Dr. Mass has never discussed the Palmer Drought Index on his blog. He probably doesn't like the more complicated metrics of evapotranspiration and recharge rates, and would probably cite the index's inability to account for snow and frozen ground as a reason to ignore it.
altasnob wrote:
Anecdotal evidence is worthless.
In many cases I'd agree, except that for people who are by necessity or inclination very tuned into the details of seasonal changes in the entire ecosystem over long periods of time, their anecdotes are accurate, if not metrically precise: e.g. native peoples who live(d) off the land, farmers, naturalists.
Bruce Albert wrote:
Looking out my window, for the first time in my life everything is parched, wilted, drooping: Salmonberry, hucklebrush, blackberry, service berry, vine maple, the entire understory is on its last gasp and much has died off already. A lot of the cedars gave it up in the last dry summer; we'll see how many of the remaining large evergreens survive this one.
I work with one of the volunteer groups that care for Carkeek Park. All we've been doing in the demonstration gardens in the upper park during the summer is watering to keep the plants from croaking. We've never had to keep watering into October until this year. Meanwhile, we watch helplessly as the native plants in the rest of the park are crisping. Any trees in the Seattle parking strips not being watered by homeowners all look like they're on their last legs.
gb wrote:
A more telling statistic would be sky cover on a monthly and daily basis. But you have to pay a lot of attention not to the mean, but to the distribution over a period of time. The more days we get with sunny skies (particularly talking in the mountains, here) the more it dries out between rains.
The National Geographic article cited upthread suggests the usefulness of the Palmer Index by its multiple references to transpiration:
Quote:
Soil moisture is a particularly useful way of assessing drought, says Brad Udall, a climate scientist at Colorado State University. Most people don’t think much about soil moisture, but it is “the reservoir upon which all life depends,” he says, because it sustains plants, the basis of all other life. But hot, dry air sucks moisture out of the soil. And if rain or snow don’t replenish that invisible reservoir, the deficit grows, swelling the empty bucket that must be refilled before water can flow to rivers, streams, and aquifers.
This Scientific American article is relevant to the issue: Fog That Nourishes California Redwoods Is Declining
Quote:
...the region's fog has decreased by 30 percent in the past six decades. ...From 25 to 40 percent of the moisture in the system comes from fog...Some of the fog simply covers the leaves and prevents evaporation. But some of it also enters the stomata, or tiny pores, on the leaves and is drawn down through the branches to the roots. This is the reverse of transpiration, the normal flow of water from the roots to the leaves that exists in most trees ... Fog is not just a vital element for the redwoods—it's also crucial to the entire redwood forest ecosystem... The moisture can descend into the ground up to 35 centimeters deep, and that's a lot of water.
I'd posit that something similar is happening here. Not that huge fog banks are part of our climate in western WA, but the change in the pattern of our precipitation, summer temps and average # of cloudy days have sucked a lot of H20 out of the soil and our vegetation can't handle it. Regardless of what our cumulative annual rainfall has been, we're in a world of hurt, ecologically. According to the Historical Palmer Drought Indices, in recent years we've even had multiple months of severe drought on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula. That's outrageous! One more relevant website to keep an eye on: Map of Real Time Stream Flow

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

gb, Lindsay, Cyclopath, ChinookPass
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:05 am 
And, in the other part, which is also Warshington, I have my anecdotal weather records. Growing up here, we usually had a killing frost by mid September. That certainly is not the case this year. I'm still watering, still growing tomatoes, and flowers are still blooming. It's very strange. I try to enjoy it but the worry that this weather pattern might become common ruins that. For west side weather? At least in the So. Cascades, it was usual to get a soaking rain in September only to then get east winds, which dried things out again. Fire people, who were not experienced with our weather, would start torching off clearcuts after that rain and then would be fighting those fires later when the east winds began. Sept. and Oct. are/were east wind months in that area. Back to this warm Fall weather, the Scandihoovian part of my brain says, "We'll pay for it later." Which means the feeling that we will get ten feet of snow and below zero temps with a nasty north wind blowing whilst having to trudge uphill both ways to go forage for groceries in January.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Aussie, Anne Elk
gb

gb
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:28 am 
I have no idea what will happen later this winter except through persistence of recent years data and the probabilities given a La Nina. This thread was never about what effect climate change is having although Altasnob got defensive and introduced some of Muss's "works". The thread was and is still unfortunately about how difficult it has been and currently is to get any significant rain this late summer and now fall. It sucks and we live in perpetual smoke. Worse yet, very few berries most places - almost none in the Quinault area... But this is from NWS Discussion this morning as I read the Discussion each day looking for hints and learning to better use weather models for my own trip planning purposes.
Quote:
CLIMATE...The record for the number of days with highs 70 degrees plus for the entire month of October in Seattle is 8 ( 1991 and 1987). There have already been 4 days so far this month with another 4 forecast today through Monday. Yesterday was the 101st day with a high of 70 degrees plus in Seattle this year. This makes 10 years in a row with at least 100 70 degree plus days in Seattle. Before the streak started in 2013, Seattle had 17 years in a row with less than 100 70 degree plus days in a year. 44

Cyclopath
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:36 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
To my knowledge, Dr. Mass has never discussed the Palmer Drought Index on his blog
It sounds like you don't visit his blog very much, because he has posted on the Palmer Index many times. You can search on the term and read blog posts for hours if you choose. A few points on Cliff Mass. Despite other's characterizations of his views on climate change, here is what he wrote: "The Pacific Northwest is warming and human emission of greenhouse gases is probably the origin of much of it." And I am going to push back on gb a bit. He has not politicized climate change, he has done the opposite. Most of what he has published on the topic has been take-downs of breathless climate change reporting in the media, and he has done so by showing the conflict between the data and the opinions presented. You don't have to like the guy, I certainly don't. But he has a lot of expertise in his field and his comments on meteorology and science are always worth reading. Probably the most poorly constructed argument in anthropogenic climate change is extreme event attribution. The chain of causation from an increase in atmospheric CO2, via the 1898 Arrhenius paper on the topic, all the way to a drought in Seattle, is so ridiculously long and full of assumptions that it is closer to reading tarot cards than it is to science. The idea that these concepts at the far ends of the causality chain can be linked by statistics and climate model simulations is just junk science. Plus none of it is necessary or even pertinent to the debate.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

rossb
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:51 am 
Well said Sculpin. The only reason I brought in Cliff Mass is because the major point he makes repeatedly is there is natural variation to our weather. There will be times where we get more rain or less rain, warmer temps or colder temps, and that has no effect or bearing on the next season's weather. This is not a denial of climate change, which involves long term trends. There's also ying and yang to weather patterns. We've been abnormally dry and our plants are wilting. But the Colorado River shed has had a wetter than normal monsoon season (which is because of the persistent blocking high pressure that is keeping us so dry). They need the water more than we do.
treeswarper wrote:
the Scandihoovian part of my brain says, "We'll pay for it later." Which means the feeling that we will get ten feet of snow and below zero temps with a nasty north wind blowing whilst having to trudge uphill both ways to go forage for groceries in January.
My anecdotal brain agrees with you here. Whenever we go through an period of unusually dry weather, we normally follow it up with unusually wet weather. Once the blocking high pressure ridge that is currently diverting all the Pacific storms to Alaska breaks down, the flood gates will be open and it will be storm, after storm, after storm, after storm.

rossb
Gil

Gil
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 8:01 am 
Anecdotally, I have been taking annual fall foliage trips in the Cascades for the past 17 years. Early on, weather was a significant factor -- one memorable trip up the Necklace Valley, down the Middle Fork and up the back way to Alpental involved five straight days of snow and rain in mid-September (that's the trip I met Mr. Tom Davenport in Goldmyer Hot Springs). Other early trips were also weather challenged. For the past 10 years though, i've hardly had to think about the weather -- except this year, when it was so dang hot and dry.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

Cyclopath