Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Waterproof phone cases?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:03 pm 
I've had a LifeProof FRE for several years because it was the only truly waterproof phone case made for everyday use at the time. I've been holding off on a phone upgrade because LifeProof doesn't make waterproof cases for new non-Apple products any more. Anyone know of any quality waterproof cases for Samsung or Google phones? Needs to be for everyday use, i.e. no Ziploc bags, waterproof sacks, bulky boxes. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:33 pm 
My Samsung phone is rated as waterproof, at least as much as I need for hiking. I use a waterproof bag when kayaking though.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 5:42 pm 
Which model do you have?

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 7:05 pm 
Pixel 6 is IP68 rated. Which means resistant to freshwater at a depth of 1.5m for up to 30 minutes. It also takes very nice telephoto pictures. smile.gif

Flickr | Strava

fourteen410
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 7:58 pm 
No kidding, that's pretty impressive for a phone camera. Do you have any issues with using it in the rain or any experience dropping it in a creek or snow? I suppose I shouldn't assume everyone else has butterfingers too smile.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:03 pm 
Nope, I've only had it for a couple months. However, one thing that does bother me is that the phone is a lot more sensitive to detecting a "pick up" gesture due to the relocation of the fingerprint sensor. Which drives me insane. I miss the rear sensor a lot. I think it was more accurate too. If I'm hiking or running in my vest with the phone in my breast pocket the phone thinks it's being picked up every 5-10 minutes and turns the screen on. And once I get the slightest bit sweaty the fabric of my vest pushes random buttons on the touch screen skipping around in my audiobook, turning on and off Bluetooth, calling people, etc. Lol There's some nerdy ADB stuff you can do to disable that I understand but I haven't gotten around to it yet. https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/v9b3fh/does_anyones_pixel_6_screen_randomly_turn_on/

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:19 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Sorry to interrupt the flow, but that air looks scary as hell. Maybe next time don't get out of the car, turn around and head for clearer skies. That smoke is dangerous to breathe especially when exerting. ~z

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:24 pm 
You're probably right! Maybe that's why I came down with COVID the next day! 😅

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:43 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
No kidding, that's pretty impressive for a phone camera. Do you have any issues with using it in the rain or any experience dropping it in a creek or snow? I suppose I shouldn't assume everyone else has butterfingers too smile.gif
I've dropped Samsung phones in the snow more than once. And had them in my pocket hiking in soaking rain. To the point that they yell at me if I plug them in for a few hours. No lasting effect.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 9:35 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Maybe that's why I came down with COVID the next day
Good grief!!!!!! Whoa. May your recovery be swift. ~z

zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am 
He's over it. When covid realized who it had infected it ran and hid.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:20 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
However, one thing that does bother me is that the phone is a lot more sensitive to detecting a "pick up" gesture due to the relocation of the fingerprint sensor. Which drives me insane. I miss the rear sensor a lot. I think it was more accurate too. If I'm hiking or running in my vest with the phone in my breast pocket the phone thinks it's being picked up every 5-10 minutes and turns the screen on. And once I get the slightest bit sweaty the fabric of my vest pushes random buttons on the touch screen skipping around in my audiobook, turning on and off Bluetooth, calling people, etc.
Is there no way to disable that?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 6:49 am 
Yeah, hate my Pixel 6. Fingerprint sensor is garbage. Also hate the curved screen (picks up glare and waterfall effect is annoying). Only have used it as a camera when I want zoom. Just can't give up my Pixel 3. Light, compact, waterproof and still takes great pics.

fourteen410
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 8:46 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Is there no way to disable that?
The reddit thread I linked contained an ADB command you can run from a computer while your phone is connected that will disable turning on the screen when the phone detects movement. Which is normally a desired function when someone lifts a phone from a desk or their pocket, but will also solve this problem. It sounds difficult but it's actually pretty easy to run. But you'll have to push the power button to turn on the screen every time. Alternatively, I've read using a passcode or swipe pattern to unlock the phone instead of the fingerprint sensor can help as well. But I like the fingerprint sensor too much. Furthermore, I have configured my phone to not lock the screen when it is connected to a couple of my Bluetooth devices like my watch and headphones. And I think this contributes to the problem because the phone is always unlocked when in my running vest. I'm not sure I share Tom's hate for the device. He also may be using a bit of hyperbole. It's a fantastic phone, probably the best I ever used. I'm also coming from 3 years of use on a Pixel 3 XL. smile.gif I suspect the problem I described will exist in any phone with a fingerprint sensor beneath the screen. Each phone will have varying degrees of programmed sensitivity though. It's also worth mentioning this ONLY happens in my vest. Not my pants pocket. Nor the kidney pocket on a more traditional day pack.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:11 pm 
Actually the camera itself on the Piixel 6 is great. I'm using it on a hike today and it's really nice having wide angle and 4x zoom options. Will serve well as my hiking camera, just not my everyday phone. I disabled the screen lock so I don't have to curse at the fingerprint sensor. Ahhh so nice to not have to deal with it! If you are on a budget I think it's a great choice as you can pick them up on sale around at 600 bucks. If price is no concern I would get the iPhone pro. While the zoom isn't as long as the Pixel 6 I'd rather have an intermediate zoom for most shots when I want some zoom. With the Pixel 6 you either get 1x or 4X and digital zoom in between. The iPhone pro also goes a little wider and has better battery life. Then again you're going to pay about twice as much! Edit checking out the iPhone 14 it's not as much of a premium as I thought. $999 for the Pro: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-14-pro