Forum Index > Food & Grub > Low sodium backpacker meals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 3:44 pm 
I have very high blood pressure. Can't have much salt. Can anyone recommend low sodium backpacker meals? I'd love to have Mountain House, but it's a salt bomb. My cardiologist would have a heart attack if he saw me eating them. I'm talking about add boiling water and wait, dehydrated meals. I carry a soda can alcohol stove, or white gas in winter. Suggestions?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 5:16 pm 
I also have to limit my sodium intake. IME any sort of commercially prepared foods have two days worth of sodium intake in a single meal. One solution is to cook and dehydrate your own meals using the methods suggested by this excellent website. https://trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/ Also IME I find I can tolerate more sodium intake when I'm exercising and sweating a lot during the day. E.g. I recently did a 75 mile bike ride on a warm day and drank 5 liters of water and other drinks during the ride. My measured BP was 30 points lower in the evening than the prior evening on a day with more typical activities. I have an automated BP cuff at home. Of course it is wise to experiment with your body's BP response to various amounts of exercise and sodium intake while close to medical services.

sarbar
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 2:01 am 
Backpackingchef.com has many great meals you can make yourself. This is what I do, but I add lots of salt because I think salt is vital to stay fit when working hard and sweating a lot. The relationship between salt and blood pressure in apparently not clear cut: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 5:10 am 
Bernardo wrote:
The relationship between salt and blood pressure in apparently not clear cut: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099
I think there is individual variability , i.e. some people are sodium sensitive and others are not. IME: After I indulge in a something like an Italian Submarine sandwich there is a significant rise in my blood pressure after the meal has been digested and absorbed. If I then keep my intake low and drink a lot of water and pee a lot my blood pressure drops down in a couple days. Vigorous exercise where I sweat alot reduces it fairly quickly. I use an automated blood pressure cuff that connects to my phone so I (and my doctor) can review. YMMV

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 8:34 am 
I like Wild Zora meals as they are pretty clean and not sodium bombs. They usually come in around 600-700 mg per serving. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

sarbar
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am 
trailcooking.com I just looked at Craigslist for "dehydrator" and there's no deals today - wrong time of year - but I've seen them on CL anywhere from FREE to dirt cheap ($20-$30 bucks) for NICE units. dehydrate your own. cheap. easy. and you control the sodium content. WAY easier than what you'd think: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8006458

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Anne Elk, sarbar
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 11:18 am 
Thanks for the info Randito. It's interesting. Good news is that there are options.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 2:26 pm 
Another thing you could do is use fractional parts of packaged meals (like Moutain House) as a "base" to provide flavorings for other from-home ingredients that you'd bring and cook yourself, like instant rice, your preferred protein, etc. But that might be more complication than you'd prefer. But somewhat less work than doing your own dehydrating.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:55 am 
There are a few GoodToGo meals that have lower sodium, also in the 600-700 mg range - pad thai, pasta marinara, 3 bean chili

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 4:08 pm 
We follow a lower salt diet at home - and have - for many years. I'd rather need to add a tiny pinch of fine sea salt when I eat, than have it come already in it. Not medical advice of course...but I find I work the best when I make sure I am getting enough potassium with salt when I hydrate while exercising. (I drink a lot due to one of my meds I take, just being open with that...so I can strip my electrolytes way too easy) Having said that, making your own meals is really the best choice. You can find so many "no sodium added" flavorings these days in stores. For example, I often use a no sodium added broth powder I can get at most grocery stores. Then add a tiny pinch of salt if needed (I don't usually because I live for cheese in meals....and that is far salty enough). I have many, many recipes on my site, and many can be made low sodium very easily (for example, if a recipe calls for soy sauce, use coconut aminos, which are baseline low in sodium). I have lots of tricks. Take your meds, watch your electrolytes, stay hydrated (better for BP!) and have fun working out. Eat lots of fresh produce on the trail as well, or freeze-dried versions. Your body will appreciate you.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.