Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Urquhart - 6883' - 9/25/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 2:14 pm 
Steven and I have been discussing Urquhart for several years. We even drove half-way there once, until we learned that lower gate is closed. So when he invited me to come join Matt and Ben for another try, I was pretty excited. John Stolk loaned me a bike, since mine is in Nevada. Thanks John!
As mentioned above, the Cogburn River FSR is gated near Harrison Lake, only slightly above sea level. We rode about 13 miles to the start of the route. Including the up and down on the road, this day exceeded 7k vertical gain. We left the bikes at the end of the road and jumped into dense brush. Only 1.7 miles and 4200’ gain remained.
The lower forested slopes were covered in slippery dry needles and extra care was necessary when climbing above rock steps. The upper half of the south rib was slightly less steep. After reaching the alpine, we ascended some granite slabs and then trended more left, aiming for the more vertical southwest ridge.
Scrambling the class 2 and 3 ridge crest was very enjoyable and Matt’s dog Twig only required assistance in one spot. This peak becomes the new record for mileage in a day, for both Steven and I, and perhaps all of us.
I ate it all...
I ate it all...

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

call-151, Eric Gilbertson, slabbyd, KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message