Forum Index > Trip Reports > Black Tower, Sable Ridge Pks, White Goat Mtn 9/22-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 6:29 pm 
Black Tower 7880' Sable Ridge (Tragedy Pk) 7800' N Sable Ridge (Wy'Bother) 7730' White Goat Mtn 7800' I had a rare couple extra days off and decided to head up to the Stehekin area for these rarely climbed peaks. Earlier in the week, I was talking with Fletcher and he was also planning on some peaks in the area with Pee Wee. So, we booked the boat ride and also figured out a way we could all share camp despite going in different directions tagging different peaks. We arrived in Stehekin on Thursday and hopped on the full Rainbow falls bus instead of waiting another 1.5 hr for the shuttle. This was a good call and we hiked the remaining road to Harlequin bridge where we turned off to the Stehekin River trail. To our great surprise, we could see 1000's of spawning Kokanee's in the river and tributaries. What a cool sight to see as we made our way to the Devore Cr trail. It was then the constant uphill on good trail as far as we could make it towards 4th of July basin. Things went well, only a few down logs the last mile to our camp below 10 mile pass. We set camp and we talked about our individual plans the next day before an early bedtime. We woke early and went our separate ways before sunrise. I headed up 4th of July basin and aimed to get up to the Black Tower col. This was the first of much much choss I'd encounter for the day. Travel wasn't fast but it was steady. At the col, I headed up a short ledge before dropping down a gully and traversing over to the other ridge looking for easier ground. I zig-zagged my way up careful not to climb anything I couldn't downclimb since I left my rope at camp. Some route finding was needed to get back to the East ridge, and from there it was easy scrambling to the summit where I found a register.
Black Tower from 4th of July basin
Black Tower from 4th of July basin
Martin Pk from the col
Martin Pk from the col
Black Tower register
Black Tower register
I headed down towards Hilgard Pass slightly disappointed the larches weren't turning yet. The other fall colors were nice as I headed down the pass to the Company Creek side for a try at the Sable Ridge Pks.
colorful meadows
colorful meadows
I dropped into the next basin before having to make a rising traverse though light brush and then more choss towards Sable Ridge. It was a bit sloggy with the rocks moving on every step. As always, I looked for the easiest terrain as I reached the next saddle below the Pk. There were several possible highpoints on the summit ridge, I found the summit register on the one that actually looked to be the highest. It was called Tragedy Pk, I wonder why? I headed down to the West to access another extremely chossy basin. Even more moving rocks beneath my feet than before. I rounded a buttress before going back up to another saddle on the N side of Tragedy. Another drop and then more gain to traverse around the ridge towards N Sable. Then again, another drop on chossy terrain to a cool larchy basin.
Mary Green glacier on Bonanza
Mary Green glacier on Bonanza
N Sable from Tragedy
N Sable from Tragedy
little lake below Martin Pk
little lake below Martin Pk
It's always nice hiking through the larches despite the color. Then it was more uphill towards the North Pk. Of course, more choss but nothing technical. I reached the next summit to a tin can register calling it Wy'Bother. It was surprising to see a 1st ascent register from only 2003. Cool stuff! I headed back down to the basin and then straight down to the Company Cr trail. Steep forest and a little bit of thick brush to get to the trail. The trail back to Hilgard was in great shape. Then it was back up to Black Tower col on loose stuff that I've had my fill of for the day. I was happy to be descending back towards camp. As I descended, I heard a couple faint howls. I found out later, that a deer hunter spotted 3 wolves in the basin!!
Company Creek glacier on Bonanza
Company Creek glacier on Bonanza
Wy'Bother register
Wy'Bother register
Wy'East and Black Tower
Wy'East and Black Tower
finally some blue sky, Tragedy Pk to the right
finally some blue sky, Tragedy Pk to the right
fall colors
fall colors
It was a 10 hour day with 8600' of gain, I was glad to be at camp to take a break. Shortly after, Fletcher and Pee Wee showed up after their big day. This is why it's fun to share camp with friends, lots of stories and great to share the days events with each other! We talked about the next days plan which we'd all go the same approach, different pks, exit the same to hopefully be in Stehekin that evening. We got another early start and headed down to the WF Devore creek drainage. Some morning frost on the plants showed us just how cold it got that night. We headed up and hit minimal brush, we stayed mostly right of the dry creek bed before seeing running water up the hill. We filled up a few times and stay right of the creek the whole way to the head wall. We found a nice way up before parting ways. Fletcher headed up to Wy'North, Pee Wee took a break and I headed over towards Bird Lakes and then to White Goat Mtn. The Devore saddle down to Bird Lakes was loose and not that fun. I spent some time finding the best way but again, everything was loose. The hike to the lakes were nice and scenic.
Wy'North
Wy'North
White Goat from Bird Lake
White Goat from Bird Lake
Devore Pk
Devore Pk
I dropped excess stuff at the 7240' saddle S of White Goat. I carried my rope and harness up the ridge to the base of the peak hoping I could find a way up. I found the way I wanted to climb this low 5th class Mtn. Solid holds and quite a bit of fun. It got easier the higher I went. Although the exposed traverse to the summit is a bit sketchy. I found the nice big tube register, likely left by Franklin, with the original 1st ascent paper in it! Another cool surprise to see a 1940 register. I rapped just once, despite seeing another rap anchor mid way. My rope got me to where I could easily downclimb the rest. I hiked back to the saddle, didn't see Fletcher and Pee Wee yet. so I headed down towards Company Cr.
White Goat Mtn
White Goat Mtn
Tupshin
Tupshin
1st ascent White Goat register
1st ascent White Goat register
looking back up after my rappel
looking back up after my rappel
The way down was ok, I tried hard to stay on a NW rib to the trail. Game trails, brush, tight trees, cliffs, basically a little of everything but it went. I reached the trail, filled up on water and ran into a group of hikers at the Company Cr ford. they were doing a loop and warned me the trail is brushy. Much of the rest of the way to the Stehekin airstrip was extremely brushy and with more elevation gain than I thought there'd be. Oh well, at least the down logs had been cut. I missed the shuttle from Harlequin bridge and walked back to Stehekin and set camp at Lakeview. It was time to rest, soon Fltecher and Pee Wee made it in to town and more fun times hanging out at camp. We walked to the bakery in the morning for a delicious breakfast and got lucky to catch the newer and early Stehekin ferry boat back to Fields Point. It was a great trip in this area and sharing camp with some buddies made it even better 43 miles 17300 elevation gain 3 days #292/300

Eric Eames

geyer, Justus S., Bluebird, Brushbuffalo, Gimpilator, RichP, ancient_squirrel, awilsondc, SeanSullivan86, rstoddard24, freddyfredpants  ~*CutebutChossy69*~
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 7:00 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
It was called Tragedy Pk, I wonder why?
John Roper proposed the name Tragedy Peak offering homage to Ray Courtney who died tragically in 1982. Ray was a horse packer out of Stehekin. He was leading pack animals descending a steep forested trail (Hilgard Creek Trail that meets up with the Company Creek Trail) from Hilgard Pass when animals in his pack train lost their footing and rolled over him. Tragedy Peak has a commanding view of Hilgard Pass and the slope that witnessed his passing. https://www.pbase.com/image/75285167

awilsondc, SeanSullivan86
iron

iron
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 11:39 pm 
damn. 8 to go. too bad one of them requires 3 days otherwise you'd get it this year. what a journey!

freddyfredpants
saucy

freddyfredpants
saucy
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 12:47 am 
That looks like such a cool area. Glad to see those obscure peaks getting some love. I hope someday I can join you for one or more of the last 8 smile.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 am 
It's always a thrill to see how much ground you can cover in a day. Thanks for all the photos.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 am 
Thanks for the clarification about Tragedy Peak's naming, Mike Collins. I was privileged to visit with the Courtneys in their log home in the Stehekin in the early 1970s. Wonderful family.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 am 
Awesome dude! I hope Captain Morgan was along for the ride!

Art is an adventure.