Forum Index > Trip Reports > Green Ridge - October 2, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 2:29 pm 
A lake-bagging friend and I made it up to the top of Green Ridge last Sunday en route to the Garfield Mountain Lakes area. We were hoping to reach both Garfield Mountain Lakes and Charlie Brown Lake, but due to time constraints and the slowness of progress, we turned around at Upper Garfield Mountain Lake after lunch. Nothing too interesting to report about the Green Ridge Trail itself. There are quite a few annoying blowdowns, mostly in the bottom 1000' of the trail. This was my third time on this trail and it seems to get steeper every time I visit.
Climbing the steep Green Ridge Trail
Climbing the steep Green Ridge Trail
Once you pass the "official" end of the trail on most maps, the way is more free-form, since the ridge broadens. However, once you near the top of the ridge at about 4800' it becomes more trail-like again, since there are steep slopes on both sides and the route pretty much sticks to the crest all the way to Tarn 4662.
Following the ridge over the 4800' high point
Following the ridge over the 4800' high point
Finally, some meadows in the high point SE of Tarn 4662
Finally, some meadows in the high point SE of Tarn 4662
Descending to Tarn 4662
Descending to Tarn 4662
Tarn 4662 is a gorgeous place, and actually deep enough for swimming with a few rock islands in it. Probably my favorite spot of the whole trip, especially with the fall colors, and some nice views in various directions.
Tarn 4662 and Garfield East
Fall color explosion just below Tarn 4662
Fall color explosion just below Tarn 4662
Dried-up tarn and Treen Peak
Dried-up tarn and Treen Peak
From 4662, we took the NW gully down toward Upper Garfield Mountain Lake. This was brushier and steeper than expected, but I should have known a Middle Fork adventure would involve that! We stayed in the gully about halfway down before veering right into some brush and finally some rock. Unfortunately, I descended below the rock into endless brush - should have stayed right into the next talus field over, which we used on the way back.
Steep slopes and brush heading down to Upper Garfield Mountain lake
Steep slopes and brush heading down to Upper Garfield Mountain lake
Upper Garfield Mountain Lake and Garfield East
Upper Garfield Mountain Lake and Garfield East
Lake bagging UGM
Lake bagging UGM
At the lake there were nice views and lunch was had - we had a hard time finding shade, but who knew that would be a thing in October! I would have liked to circumnavigate the lake, but it looked pretty cumbersome and we didn't have time on this trip. Someone apparently has a favorite campsite on top of a huge boulder right at the lake, including tools and an elaborate rock fire pit. On the way up, we stayed on rock much farther up, which worked well, though we still had a brief section of hoisting ourselves up the duff with huckleberry "ropes". It was great to get back up to that tarn and hang out for a bit. I got some good views from the cliffs east of the tarn over to Carole Lake and Nordrum, neither of which I've been to yet. It looks pretty brushy around Carole, but that was expected from earlier reports. We detoured over to tarn 4530 on the way back - I'd only seen it snow-covered last year. I found that area much more appealing in the snow - it's a muddy tarn and quite brushy over there now. Not really worth the detour IMHO.
Leaving UGM
Leaving UGM
Tarn 4662 again
Tarn 4662 again
Looking toward Taylor River Valley - we can see Carole Lake, and Nordrum Lake in the distance behind Floating Rock
Looking toward Taylor River Valley - we can see Carole Lake, and Nordrum Lake in the distance behind Floating Rock
Infrequently-seen view of Hinman, Daniel, and Wild Goat Peak
Infrequently-seen view of Hinman, Daniel, and Wild Goat Peak
Tarn 4530
Tarn 4530
My hiking partner used spikes the entire way down, which helped on the steep duff. I had poles (thank goodness) but forgot my spikes at home. As much of a steep grind as that Green Ridge Trail is going up, it's much worse going down. We had to stop a few times partway down just to give our legs a break.

zimmertr, JimK, Now I Fly, Bramble_Scramble
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 9:31 pm 
Cool to see Lake Carole! I was up there in the early ‘70’s but we came straight up Treen Peak from the other side, using an old rope to climb up a waterfall.

ALW Hiker
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 10:10 pm 
You are tough! And Jill too! Looking forward to your primarily trail hike next week.

ALW Hiker
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 11:39 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Cool to see Lake Carole! I was up there in the early ‘70’s but we came straight up Treen Peak from the other side, using an old rope to climb up a waterfall.
Impressive! I have no doubt the brush you encountered was pretty severe, as it often is around the Middle Fork. Beckey describes ascending between Treen and Garfield from the Taylor River, but it's not a route I would want to try! To be fair, he does say that route is best done in spring when snow still covers the brush. For Treen, he says the usual approach is to start at Nordrum Lake and head west past Judy and Carole, but I think he must have written that before the existence or popularity of the Green Ridge Trail.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 5:12 pm 
I remember that area well. Nice to see it again.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln