Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sawtooth Ridge Larches 10/03 thru 10/04/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lazarus

Lazarus
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 2:51 pm 
I hiked the Eagle Lake to Horsehead Pass, then descended to Boiling Lake for an overnight trip, hoping to see alpine larches in their fall glory. I drove over US 2 and once I got past the Bolt Creek wildfire the skies were temporarily smoke free. However once I got to Coles Corner things were shrouded with a dense cover of smoke from the wildfires at the northwest end of Lake Wenatchee. The smoke cover didn't break up until I got well north of Wenatchee on Highway 97. The skies were clear as I began my hike up Eagle Lake trail, but by the time I approached Horsehead Pass the atmosphere was clogged with smoke again. I descended more than 500 feet from the pass to Boiling Lake for the night. The smoke combined with the larches being a week or two away from being in their prime time colors made photography in late afternoon less than what I hoped for.
The next morning the skies were clear when I hiked back over Horsehead Pass.

Frodo Barefoot, RichP, HikingBex, Roly Poly, Bramble_Scramble, Eric Gilbertson, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 7:26 pm 
Great pictures! We probably passed each other on Tuesday - I day hiked to Horsehead Pass & Upper Eagle Lake. Couldn't believe how lucky we got with the smoke that day!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message