Forum Index > Partners > Alpental to Denny Creek via Snow and Melakwa Lakes (either 3, 4, or 5 October)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Feanor_Smith
Feanor

Feanor_Smith
Feanor
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 8:15 pm 
I've done most of this route, just missing the bit between Melakwa Pass and Gem Lake, which is not an official trail but reported by many to be doable: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2017-07-18.3295664359 I'm looking for someone to park a vehicle at one trailhead while I park at the other and we complete this cross-through together early next week while the weather is still nice and before snow falls. My days are flexible and weather dependent, looking at either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday (3, 4, or 5 Oct). I'm a fairly fast hiker and like to start and end early. Hike is reportedly about 15 miles. I expect to do it in under 8 hours.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:23 pm 
FWIW: A similar loop all from the Alpental parking lot it possible. Head up the Snow Lake trail until the Source Lake cut off, then head over and up into Pineapple basin as if you were approaching The Tooth, just as you enter Pineapple Basin look for a route off to the right. This will climb over a rib and then across the top of the deep notch leading down to Source Lake, but up to "Bryant Pass", drop west towards the eastern shore of Melakwa Lake, taking care to bypass cliff bands. https://www.gaiagps.com/public/3FImnuDrk2FqdzevcdUmojoJ This route is more scrambly than hiking the Denny Creek trail, but it going to be way less crowded. Among skier types, this is sometimes labeled "The Folklife Tour" ( as are several other variations)

zimmertr
Feanor_Smith
Feanor

Feanor_Smith
Feanor
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 2:01 pm 
Awesome. thanks for sharing that route.