Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Automatic Drafts, Undo / Redo, and Preview enhancements
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 3:21 am 
This has been in development for a while, hopefully it's ready for prime time. No guarantees it will be 100% reliable, but I've been testing it for the last month and think I've gotten most of the kinks out. When composing posts a draft should now automatically be saved a few seconds after you stop typing (assuming you are using a modern browser). To the extent you don't submit your post the drafts should be there when you come back. For example, you can be composing a TR on desktop and need to post a picture from your phone. No problem, just navigate to the TR forum on your phone, click on new topic and voila, the TR you were composing should show up. A separate set of drafts is saved for each forum, topic reply, PM, etc. This allows you to simultaneously have drafts for a new trip report, a reply in the trip report forum, a new topic in trail talk, a new PM, etc. without the drafts stepping over each other. Just be aware you won't be able to compose, for example, 2 different TRs at the same time on different devices or the drafts will step over each other. The addition of drafts also allows for undo/redo while composing posts (note the new buttons on the posting screen). You can also use ctrl+z / ctrl+y to undo / redo. Once you submit a post the drafts will get assigned to the post. This allows you to undo/redo even after the post is submitted if you edit the post. Drafts are saved for 14 days, after which they are automatically deleted. However, when you edit a submitted post the prior post gets saved as a permanent draft and can be retrieved via undo. This is useful for for wiki posts, to provide an audit trail of edits. Note if you've recently edited a post the undo button will show you the prior post. If you don't want to continue with a draft just click on the yellow "Clear Draft" or "× Draft" at the top right of the screen which will clear the post (or undo your edits if you are editing a post). Be aware when editing posts, if you make edits without saving and come back later your edits will still be there! If you decide to abandon an edit it is advised to clear the draft. You can also now preview drafts more easily. Historically preview was rendered on a new page which caused issues with back/forward navigation. Now the preview renders on the same page and you can more easily edit by clicking on the text in the preview you want to edit. A significant number of changes were involved to accommodate this update which may affect other parts of the forum. Please don't hesitate to report anything that isn't working as it was.

Anne Elk, JimK, GaliWalker, neek, JonnyQuest, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:38 am 
Significant feature add. It's been working well for me so far. Thanks!

Tom
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:44 pm 
I had a report that the submit button isn't working on some devices. Anyone else? I tweaked a few things could have been causing this, not sure. Let me know if this is still an issue. Also the soft keyboard might have been disappearing when it shouldn't have (it should only disappear on mobile when inserting emoticons or when using the "Pics" button to insert images). Let me know if this continues to be a problem.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 12:24 am 
I tried to edit a typo in a TR in Safari and Chrome on iPhone and wasn’t able to submit it in either browser. When I click on “edit”, the screen shows 2 submit buttons below the input field. Both of them take you to the preview screen. When you click the submit button on the preview screen, it goes back to the edit (previous) screen.

Pyrites
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 4:57 am 
Thanks, I found the problem. Looks like Safari / iOS is trying hard to become the next Internet Explorer, doing stupid non-standard stuff like not focusing buttons when you click on them. dizzy.gif https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22261#c56 I put in something to hopefully fix this.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 7:19 am 
It’s working a lot better now.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:19 pm 
Running Brave browser on Android: First time using the new preview enhancement - it popped up the preview on top of the compose box, so I hit submit and the preview box went away - but left me back at the compose box. So, thinking it hadn't actually submitted, I hit submit there, and it warned me I couldn't post again so soon after posting. The page never changed to close out the compose box, so I had to click back to the forum I was in to confirm my post went through. In posting this post, the same thing happened - hitting submit from preview just closes the preview and makes it look like it saved a draft. It's letting me hit submit a 2nd time under the compose box (editing to add this paragraph), but if I instead just go straight back to the forum without hitting submit again, it seems like the preview is in fact submitting even though it wasn't clear that had happened.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 1:08 am 
Thanks for reporting. Hopefully fixed now.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 7:56 am 
Thanks Tom, it seems fixed now. smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)