Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Half way house out of Trinity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Sep 04, 2022 7:39 pm 
Some time back there was a thread about Trinity. In the thread it was said that there was a half way house between Trinity and Plain where travelers could spend the night while enroute. It was also mentioned that the structure may have been moved to Plain and renovated. If that is true, could someone check this out if they happen to be going thru that area. If the building is there, pictures would be appreciated. Attached is a picture of the building at its original location
that I took back in the 60s. Thanks

Bramble_Scramble
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Sep 09, 2022 2:54 pm 
I’m pretty sure that’s at the intersection of Beaver Valley Rd/Chiwawa Loop Rd. Right after or just before the intersection depending on your travel direction.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Sep 10, 2022 8:04 am 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I’m pretty sure that’s at the intersection of Beaver Valley Rd/Chiwawa Loop Rd
Not sure about that. The old building in Plain near the main road is of similar vintage, but I was told a different story about it, that it was one of the original pioneer cabins in Plain and is still owned by the descendants of those pioneers. My daughter lived in that cabin for a short time while she worked for the family.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat Sep 10, 2022 8:51 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Not sure about that. The old building in Plain near the main road is of similar vintage, but I was told a different story about it, that it was one of the original pioneer cabins in Plain and is still owned by the descendants of those pioneers. My daughter lived in that cabin for a short time while she worked for the family.
If not it looks remarkably similar

Jake

Jake
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 6:21 am 
Joanne Rowe who wrote several books about local history, including the Stevens Pass book told me personally that that building was moved to a friend of her's home near Plain. So that's gotta be it.

Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 12:41 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. My Moms family lived in in Plain way back in the early 1900s. Her father was Robert Nickles, and her mother's name was Mary. Mary died giving birth to a son Frosty in 1922. Frosty was later killed in France near the end of WWII. A story was published in the Wenatchee World about Robert getting appendicitis in March one year and being carried by stretcher by 12 neighbors on snowshoes to Leavenworth where he was put on a train and taken to the hospital in Wenatchee. Back in the 60s we would camp by the river on property owned by friends of my folks. Their names were Laura and Bain Burgess. I remember it being just upriver from a steel truss bridge. The Burgesses were early residents into Plain. If it could be confirmed that the building in question is indeed the old halfway house, I would love to see pictures and get a history.

zimmertr, Lightning_bug
ArcDome

ArcDome
PostFri Oct 28, 2022 7:07 am 
You can view Google maps which I believe might show the suspect structure in Plain. This structure appears to be different construction than the one shown (log versus frame). https://goo.gl/maps/o86FKqgnmoMvudZe7

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Oct 28, 2022 8:12 am 
Is there another one of these off Palo Alto road (?) on the left as you head into the Olympics towards Upper Dungeness, Tyler Peak, Tubal Cain, etc trailheads? Near or just after some intersection where you turn left in a farm field or something if I recall correctly. I've driven by it a few times and wondered if it were used by settlers.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Oct 29, 2022 8:22 am 
ArcDome wrote:
You can view Google maps which I believe might show the suspect structure in Plain.
I think the building in question is south of your perspective and not visible. Here is the next building to the south, the one my daughter lived in briefly: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.763289,-120.6569311,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sw7y19hESCdwwYXy_CdzzaA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dw7y19hESCdwwYXy_CdzzaA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D266.55115%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i3328!8i1664

Jake

Jake
PostSat Oct 29, 2022 8:30 am 
No, too many windows and the windows in the original are closer to the ground.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Oct 29, 2022 12:08 pm 
I think Lazyhiker was referring to the structure in the Google maps image I posted, which I agree is not the halfway house Dick B was interested in. The Google maps image shows the structure that my daughter was told by the owner was one of the original pioneer cabins in Plain.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 11:06 am 
After further questions posed to longtime Beaver Valley residents, the house I posted about is one of the older homesteads. Not the Halfway House.