Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Summary of the science on eBikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 4:34 pm 
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0967070X22002475/pdfft?md5=8dc3a12f57fddb47b02b87e6494bd4ed&pid=1-s2.0-S0967070X22002475-main.pdf Here's a short quote: Increasing the use of e-bikes can also have direct health benefits to users of e-bikes because they are a form of physical activity. Although in some cases this may be a lighter intensity than cycling without electric assistance, it certainly provides more activity than driving a car or using public transit (Hoj et al., 2018). Importantly, among those who are already cycling, the introduction of an e-bike does not negatively affect physical activity levels (Sundfør and Fyhri, 2017). E-bike use is increasing among specific populations, such as older adults and those with physical disabilities. Research from older adults indicates that e-bikes allow them to continue to cycle long distances or difficult routes in suboptimal conditions (wind), and remain socially engaged as they age and lose physical fitness (Leger et al., 2019). Among those with physical limitations or disabilities, a variety of e-bike styles are available, and enable individuals to ride comfortably, facilitating independent mobility in their community (MacArthur et al., 2014).

Secret Agent Man, JimmyBob
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 5:32 pm 
The E-bike Is a Monstrosity
Quote:
Some studies suggest that you’ll get a lot less exercise from pedaling an e-bike than normal biking, while others say certain e-bike riders could enjoy greater health benefits if motorized cycling encourages them to ride more regularly.
I say to each their own. I would love to see ebikes replace more cars.

JimmyBob
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 6:31 pm 
The science speaks for itself.

hikerman
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 pm 
The research is consistent with my experience with several friends that use e-bikes for local transportation that were not cyclists nor even particularly athletic or even "outdoorsy". The electric assist overcomes the discomfort of climbing hills. The end result is significantly more physical activity for them than if they had continued using a car. One motivation was environmental, wanting to reduce their carbon footprint compared to continued use of a car. Overall it is financially advantaged as well, especially at current fuel prices.

Josh Journey, Secret Agent Man
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 7:18 am 
You people are far too serious. Do you ever do anything for the fun of it? Or must everything be physically demanding? I found an ebike to be FUN. Yes, I've pretty much replaced my in town driving with my bike, but the best part is that it is not a righteous sufferfest to simply go on a ride for FUN. I have some steep hills to contend with and I'd be pushing a regular bike up them. Maybe if I had the latest carbon whatever bike and super specific gears, I could make it up them. I do huff and puff to go up the hills around here. I suspect my Gazelle doesn't have the best gearing for them as I've read about people disappointed with my model and trading it in. I like it. I rode up to Salmon Meadows last year. I started in Conconully for that. I did find out that the drive train needs checking before 4000 miles. I didn't do that and the bike mechanic looked grim and said he expected it would need replacement and I'd need to bring it in for an inspection to find out where to get the parts for. During that appointment, he found everything but the chain to be in good shape. He was surprised about that. Must be the Dutch engineering--nerdy heavy but sturdy? One thing I find myself doing is making a 2 mile trip to the store into a 15 mile trip. A very bad thing about any style bike here is when the city or county decides to chip seal most of the roads. That put a damper on things this year. I almost lost it when I hit a concentration of gravel. No mothers with washcloths would be running out for that in this day and age. And, yes, you can bring home a medium sized watermelon.
I do not care what Atlantic has to say about it. I enjoy the ride. And, for you who must see suffering, I HAVE to pedal my class 1 bike.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Do you ever do anything for the fun of it?
Put the fun between your legs! Bikes are great, whether or not they have a battery. I'd throw trikes and unicycles into the mix as well. I love hearing about your small town ebike adventures. You're a role model for all the naysayers. The Atlantic article is just a fun piece (written by an ebike owner) about how ebikes are not the natural evolution of either cars or bicycles, and need to be treated as a unique form of transportation by governments and individuals. The attention grabbing headline is perhaps unfortunate. The one Cyclopath posted, I suppose, is aimed at city planners and such who need to demonstrate that they are "following science" when making what should be obvious and uncontroversial decisions about bike infrastructure.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:01 pm 
I already had read the article on an ebike site. It wasn't a very serious article and more than a few folks thought the ebiking must have been done in the author's imagination. Just got back from a flu shot/grocery trip that is now an adventure. The city has the Very Dangerous Intersection during regular times, torn up to make it a Very Very Dangerous Intersection. I think I will detour and go a longer route next trip. Construction guys want to know How Fast Will It Go, and I tell them as fast as you want on a downhill. The wind is blowing so it is good to have assist levels today.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
uww

uww
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 pm 
neek wrote:
city planners and such who need to demonstrate that they are "following science" when making what should be obvious and uncontroversial decisions about bike infrastructure.
It is really sad that we have gotten to the place where claiming eBiking is more exercise than driving or public transportation requires a peer reviewed study to satisfy the dimwit crowd. COVID demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that science should have remained in the ivory towers instead of on twitter. (citation needed).

neek
neek

neek
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 3:54 pm 
Today's grocery run. Cargo bike would be nice, but at least it's mostly downhill on the way back.

treeswarper
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 4:06 pm 
I forgot to buy milk. So, I'll be making a milk run in the next couple of days. Watermelons are out of season now. I had no room for one anyway. Maybe a pumpkin should be the next large vegetable to ride with? Then write a how to book for everybody who can't figure it out, Riding With Vegetables. Oh, and trees. I brought home a tree and some shrubberies whilst out pedaling. I like to ride my bike south about 5 miles to drop off the electric payment. Then I usually go up the hill and make it a longer ride. Chip sealing, intersection "improvement" and bridge replacement have made getting around a bit harder.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 4:09 pm 
uww wrote:
It is really sad that we have gotten to the place where claiming eBiking is more exercise than driving or public transportation requires a peer reviewed study to satisfy the dimwit crowd. COVID demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that science should have remained in the ivory towers instead of on twitter. (citation needed).
It seems like a waste of resources, but if you look at the study there's a great deal more in there than that. And it's not the worst thing to confirm that your assumptions are correct before doing something because of them.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:41 pm 
Last time I took an e-mountain bike out on the trails, I found it to be a more intense workout than a regular bike because it was 25lbs heavier. YMMV.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 6:56 am 
catsp wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Maybe a pumpkin should be the next large vegetable to ride with? Then write a how to book for everybody who can't figure it out, Riding With Vegetables.
Sounds interesting, but I suggest you don't use pumpkin as your example.
Can't be much heavier than watermelons. With the help of thirsty friends, I was able to carry 4 bags of ice back to camp on my clunky Rad. I say help, because one had to sacrifice a belt to hold a bag on the rack.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:21 am 
I did not know that squash are not veggies. I'd say that the majority of folks do not know that. So, what are pumpkins, AKA punkins?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:36 am 
Catsp is playing the Tomatoes are a fruit game. Any part of a plant that contains seeds is classified as a "fruiting body" regardless of the sweetness/sugar content of the flesh that surrounds the seeds. So pumpkins are fruits. That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks with your name spelled wrong.