Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Downwinders and the Radioactive West PBS much watch
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 8:25 pm 
The story of clandestine nuclear testing and the effects on unknowing citizens in the SW and eventual cancers. Downwinders and the Radioactive West

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 9:15 pm 
Tests were not clandestine and were a tourist attraction in Vegas and elsewhere, what was terrible was they told downwinders it was harmless and of short duration when the effects of radiation were well known.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 6:31 am 
There are lots of Downwinders in Washington State too - from Hanford. Those that lived in Walla Walla, Dayton, Pomeroy, etc.

fourteen410
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 2:43 pm 
Schroder wrote:
There are lots of Downwinders in Washington State too - from Hanford. Those that lived in Walla Walla, Dayton, Pomeroy, etc.
That's what I assumed this was about because I didn't click on the link. What's scary about the Hanford releases is that it affected dairy products because cows were eating the contaminated grass.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:01 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
That's what I assumed this was about because I didn't click on the link. What's scary about the Hanford releases is that it affected dairy products because cows were eating the contaminated grass.
Same in the SW. Apparently the various radioactive products have different half lives and the one that cows ate lasted eight days and got into people's milk. One of the first signs of problems in SW Utah was the deaths of 4000 sheep. The whole thing is quite a story.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 6:26 pm 
Radioisotopes are complex and often counterintuitive. The deadliest are alpha emitters which are absorbed into the body like Polonium. Alpha particles are heavy and cause a lot of damage even though they can be stopped by a sheet of paper (irrelevant when they are inside your marrow). Short half life isotopes like iodine produce a lot of radiation in a short time then disappear. Neutrinos that can pass through the earth are pretty much harmless as they are weakly interacting. Sometimes the decay product is the problem as is the case of radon gas (decay product from radium).

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 11:39 pm 
Thanks for posting that link, gb. up.gif It's now on my "to watch" list.
Schroder wrote:
I had a co-worker who grew up downwind of Hanford and died prematurely of some bizarre cancer. I suspect it was connected.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:09 am 
gb wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Same in the SW. Apparently the various radioactive products have different half lives and the one that cows ate lasted eight days and got into people's milk. One of the first signs of problems in SW Utah was the deaths of 4000 sheep. The whole thing is quite a story.
Yeah, and then there is the damage from Uranium mines which is ongoing. Water is contaminated in an area where water is scarce, and the Navajo people are the ones who have to live with it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 3:03 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Yeah, and then there is the damage from Uranium mines which is ongoing. Water is contaminated in an area where water is scarce, and the Navajo people are the ones who have to live with it.
Totally agree, treeswarper. The Navajo and other Native Americans have paid a heavy price in so many ways.