Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Electric lawnmower
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:26 pm 
Anybody try one? Likes? Dislikes? Most of the lawn is done with a riding mower but there are a couple areas where, for one reason or another the rider is not the right tool. The standard gas mower I have been using for those areas has a lot of years and miles on it and is not self-propelled. I have been thinking of treating my 71 year old self to an upgrade.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 7:44 pm 
I've been using a black and decker cmm1000 for about 20 years. Works great with a small yard. I abuse it too, throwing non-woody plant trimmings on the lawn and mulching them in. Can't get a blade anymore and it's very curvy so difficult to sharpen. Newer models of course use lithium rather than lead acid batteries but I've heard complaints of some of them not lasting long (like 10 minutes, which is crazy) so read reviews carefully. In general I'd default to battery electric with any power tool - mowers, string trimmers, pressure washers, leaf blowers, even chainsaws - unless there were some compelling reason to use gas, like you need to run it for hours at a time.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 8:30 pm 
I got this one in May via Amazon. (they had a good price and I couldn't find it locally.) Greenworks 40V 16" Cordless Electric Lawn Mower, 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Included
I don't have much lawn and wanted to be able to cut around several small trees so I got the 16 inch. A neighbor and a good friend both had one and it helped sell me on this brand and model. I love it. Very lightweight and maneuverable. The charge lasts long enough for me with power to spare. ~z

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:00 pm 
I just got a battery powered mower. Fantastic. I used to use a power cord mower but this is way better. It's pretty powerful. You'll want the "40V" (really 36V) versions, or higher if those exist. After trying to research it, which is confusing as it's hard to find an unbiased and scientific reviewer, I gave up and got a Ryobi from Home Despot, which I'm happy with. Also got the trimmer and blower that use the same battery type.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 10:04 pm 
The thing about these is you have to plug them in. Have to charge these.

tinman

tinman
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 6:33 am 
I have had an EGO 21" mower for 3 years now with no problems. Even here in Forks where the grass is damp or wet many times when I have to mow it works well. Usually takes me about 45 minutes to mow the front and back yards and have never ran out of battery power. I also have a blower and trimmer that use the same battery.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:21 am 
I had a "Black and Decker" 120-volt "Lawn Hog" here that I picked up free off a CL ad. Mulcher only. Cut grass great after I resharpened the blade. Gave it away a couple months ago when I was cleaning out the house.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:43 am 
tinman wrote:
I have had an EGO 21" mower for 3 years now with no problems.
Times 2. Three years on, the batter still holds plenty of charge for 1/3 acre of lawn. It has about the same power as my old gas mower, doesn't emit stinky gases, is much lighter in weight, and so much quieter that I no longer bother with hearing protection. And if that isn't enough: my wife will mow the lawn now and then! cool.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:59 am 
All very interesting. Thanks for the comments.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 11:04 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
you have to plug them in
Yup, and it's a lot less messy than gasoline and oil. I have a push mower if anyone wants one -- my knees no likey it but it was great back in the day.

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:02 pm 
No matter which brand you choose, think about a Electric Chainsaw that goes with the battery pack that powers the mower. I went with Stihl. The saw is just a brush cutter but is capable of larger diameter logs. The 20" mower is a dream.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Joey
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 1:01 pm 
Waterman wrote:
No matter which brand you choose, think about a Electric Chainsaw that goes with the battery pack that powers the mower. I went with Stihl. The saw is just a brush cutter but is capable of larger diameter logs. The 20" mower is a dream.
Great reminder. I already own 2 Stihl battery chainsaws (branch saw and pole saw) and 2 batteries. Not sure why I have not already been thinking about leveraging those batteries by getting a Stihl mower. Wonder if there will be an end-of-season sale.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 5:11 pm 
What happens when the batteries lose their charging storage power? Do you buy new batteries? Or do you have to buy a brand new entire setup? Because the new adaptations of the new formats for the batteries? I have had the same regular gas mower for 10 years and still going. I have used the RYOBI batteries and they lost recharging power in 5 years. I wonder what the overall carbon output would be for the two scenarios when you rebuy RYOBI batteries...or have to buy a new entire electric setup. It takes a lot of carbon to create a new machine.

Art is an adventure.
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 7:27 pm 
I use an electric mower with a cord. Works well for me, but I guess it's probably not suitable if you have enough area to cover that you're using a riding mower wink.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:26 pm 
Yeah, Stefan -- buy new batteries. Ryobi batteries from Home Despot. They are pretty expensive. I saw some off-brand batteries from your local ginormous online seller for a lot less. The older mowers used 18V batteries, and the new 36V (but claim they are 40V). So the next generation will be 15,000V and can run a city's worth of mowers, and be charged off high-capacity overhead power lines. All you'll have to do is wave them back and forth, using your bicycle hooked up to an oscillating machine. So you'll probably have to get all new equipment. My push mower is 20 years old. Works great, only carbon footprint is from eating more. Anyone want it?