Forum Index > Trip Reports > Johnston Ridge, 10/23/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostFri Oct 28, 2022 12:53 pm 
This hike doesn't really deserve its own thread, but since we are in the shoulder season and there are fewer new TRs I figure why not? We celebrated my partner's birthday by doing a short morning hike along Johnston Ridge. I had originally wanted to venture further from the city and hike Mount Ellinor, but we compromised on a hike with a shorter drive. We got to the Johnston Ridge parking lot before sunrise and were the first car there...unfortunately we were clouded in and got no views during sunrise frown.gif. We hiked for about 2.5 miles towards Harry's Ridge before turning back. On the hike back the clouds started breaking down and we started to get views of MSH smile.gif. While I wish we had gotten a sunrise, these kinds of cloudy conditions are fun to experience and photograph. The geology of this place is amazing, in particular I love the blast zone between Johnston Ridge and MSH, it reminds me a bit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Perhaps the best part of the trip was stopping at the observatory on the way out. I visited Johnston Ridge twice last season, but each time the observatory was closed. It was great to finally check it out. My partner visited the observatory as a kid and had fond memories of the film they show, which has a fun surprise ending that I won't spoil. On the way back we stopped at Coldwater Lake and one of the pullouts. If you're bored on this rainy Friday and want some reading material, these threads (1) (2) contain discussion around whether MSH should become a national park or not. There are still lots of trails in the area that I have yet to hike, but having hiked Johnston Ridge multiple times, camped twice in the Mount Margaret Backcountry and climbed MSH, the area certainly has the natural beauty, history, and geology to warrant park status. Of course, there is a lot more to park designations than just these things, and I won't weigh in here on my opinion on whether the area's status should change. Johnston Ridge
This is the area that reminds me of Theodore Roosevelt National Park
This is the area that reminds me of Theodore Roosevelt National Park
This scene reminds me of Iceland (I've never been so this comparison may be completely inaccurate)
This scene reminds me of Iceland (I've never been so this comparison may be completely inaccurate)
Parking lot views ::)
Parking lot views smile.gif
Coldwater Lake and pullouts

runup, fourteen410, Now I Fly, awilsondc, Bramble_Scramble, ALW Hiker, Eric Gilbertson, flatsqwerl
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Oct 29, 2022 8:59 am 
jaysway wrote:
This hike doesn't really deserve its own thread
I disagree!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message